Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Magical Ride - Story of the 2012 Baltimore Ravens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harding

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: The Magical Ride - Story of the 2012 Baltimore Ravens Reply with quote

The Magical Ride - Story of the 2012 Baltimore Ravens

The story of the Baltimore Ravens 2012 Super Bowl success is one of fairytale proportions. The several years of January heartbreak in Pittsburgh, Foxborough and Indianapolis all seemingly were set up for the 2012 Baltimore Ravens to overcome them on their journey to the top of the world.

The Baltimore Ravens, in a post Brian Billick world were entering strange territory. Only one year removed from 13-3 and a division title, the Ravens opted to go away from Brian Billick after injuries, horrible play-calling and an array of other issues. The 2006 Ravens team is still thought of highly and the defense that led the team to a 13-3 record is still considered one of the greatest Ravens defense’s ever, behind the legendary 2000 unit. This team earned a first round bye and a matchup with the Indianapolis Colts in the Divisional Round. We are all aware of the outcome of this game, including the original “interception from the 1 yard line” and the message that came through after each Colts/ Ravens game – quite simply, the Ravens just could not get by the Colts in this era.

Gone were the days of Matt Cavanaugh being a scapegoat, Kyle Boller giving us hope, Steve McNair giving us a chance to win it all again or being the only team in 2007 to lose to the Miami ‘disaster’ dolphins. John Harbaugh, a fresh face and fresh voice was brought in although Rex Ryan and his defensive staff were retained so it was not all new, even with the release of Mike Flynn and retirements of Jonathan Ogden and Steve McNair. The legendary addition of Frank “the tank” Walker, a.k.a. Mr. pass interference led to comedic years for Ravens fans. Lorenzo Neal was a better addition. Drafting Ray Rice and Joe Flacco would be huge moments for the history of the franchise due to their importance over the next several years. Comedic draft picks ILB Tavares Gooden, G Oniel Cousins, WR Marcus Smith and G David Hale still don’t even know what a football looks like (go back and look at this draft class, it’s hilarious outside of Flacco/ Rice and maybe Zbikowski and our ST leader Haruki Nakamura).

While names to remember include Fabian ‘you can’t see me’ Washington NT Kelly Talavou, CB Derrick Martin, NT Lamar ‘the beast’ Divens, Prescott Burgess, a WR project I had so much hope for in Justin Harper and also Yamon Figurs.

The season was full of memorable moments. Flacco threw his first TD pass (in a loss @ Pittsburgh), a ridiculous roughing the passer call against the Titans which led to the winning FG for the Titans in week 5, another loss to Manning and the Colts, a safety by Jameel McClain on Jamarcus Russell, a 70 yard TD bomb to Demetrius Williams against the Browns and the 108 yard interception return from Ed Reed against the Eagles.

After the up and down start, the team caught fire and after Willis McGahee and Le’ron McClain literally ran through Texas Stadium and shut it down Ravens style, denying the Cowboys the much wanted first ever victory over Baltimore and closeout win in the stadium. No worries with Chad ‘noodle arm’ Pennington and the dolphins in the wildcard round of the playoffs. Raise your hand if you honestly were worried about this game? Exactly! Let’s move on.

The battle in Tennessee is a game I will never personally forget. Both offenses struggling to move the ball, Chris Johnson being ‘targeted’ by the Ravens and put out for the game and having to play the Albert Haynesworth led Titans led to a tough brawl. Yes the Titans only had Kerry Collins at quarterback, but were the AFC favourites and the Ravens went in and played Raven football, and yeah it was ugly, but “it was us”. Onto Pittsburgh.

These Steelers/ Ravens games in the backend of the 2000’s are my personal favourites of all time. Whether it be Hines Ward talking trash, or getting laid out by JJ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a9rnkY2-wQ

Big Ben, Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes vs Lewis and Reed became an even more iconic rivalry. However, this game was a tough one to stomach. After Flacco and Harbaugh became the first tandem to win two road playoff games in there rookie years, the season came to an end in Pittsburgh after a Troy Polamalu interception sealed the game (If I recall correctly).

Harding

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2009 - 2010

Seasons ending in heartbreak in January were about to become regular for Baltimore and their fans, as the 2009 season was no different. The drafting of Michael Oher, Paul Kruger and particularly Ladarius Webb were the key additions from this draft class, alongside UDFA Dannell Ellerbe. The Ravens losing Rex Ryan, Bart Scott and Jim Leonard were big losses for the team to overcome. Also ended the tenure of CB Chris McAlister as he was released (one of my all time favourite Ravens).

While new additions and funny faces to remember include Matt Birk (instrumental and vital), Cary “I play ten yards off” Williams, Kelly Washington and his groovy dance, special teams ace Edgar Jones, and the bizarre story that was Jared Gaither.

After the week 2 win in San Diego (and an amazing Ray Lewis blitz of the A gap to smash Darren Sproles and seal the win), and a week 3 rout of the Browns and another Ray Lewis demolition job on Kellen Winslow Jr, hope was high after starting 3-0.

A tough run of games and the beginning of Steven Hauschka missing game winners and chip shots. This led to the team bringing in Billy Cundiff (ugh) which would prove to be a massive decision. Another game against the Colts, another loss. Same old story.

After Ray Rice not being impressed with Lambeau Field and another loss, the ravens were sitting at 6-6 and then sneaked into the playoffs thanks to a monster game from Willis McGahee and his 3 rushing TD’s against Oakland in week 17.

First round and it is off to New England we go. The Ravens – Patriots rivalry is my second personal favourite, after the Steelers. Brady and his whining always gets me going. Always coming up short to New England and Brady but perhaps the tides were turning? After the Ravens nearly stole perfection from the Patriots in 2007, in what was the most emotional game I have ever watched due to the death of Sean Taylor, this was a game that the Ravens were never favoured to win. Well thankfully, this game did not end with Bart Scott throwing flags in the crowd or Corey Ivy getting burnt in the slot. Ray Rice ran all the way down the field for a TD in the first play and it was game on. After the defense got to Brady numerous times and a strip sack from Suggs, the Ravens put the foot down and never looked back. They marched on again to face the arch rival Colts, another game against them, another loss. A recurring theme, as mentioned earlier. No offense in this game and Manning sliced up the defense as always. 20-3 season ending loss.

After Dallas literally stole Dez Bryant from us in the draft, the Ravens went and got TJ Houshmandzadeh, Donte Stallworth and alongside Anquan Boldin, a solid receiver corps looked promising, especially after Boldin lit up the Jets in week 1. Finally Flacco and the Ravens had a legitimate wide receiver.

Other additions that may bring back memories include TE Davon Drew, Corey Redding, Kyle Wilson and the drafting of key Super Bowl contributors Dennis Pitta, Art Jones and busts Sergio Kindle, WR David Reed, Ed ‘butterhands’ Dickson and OT Ramon Harewood. Samari Rolle was shown the door and retired while a personal favourite of mine Quinn Sypniewski was also cut. We also ‘gained’ Dean Pees from New England. Yipee (groan).

In a season we almost lost to Cleveland and Seneca Wallace, an OT loss to New England, and a statement win against the defending Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints, the Ravens made the playoffs again. Once Kansas City was on the table for the wildcard another easy game was in my thoughts. I was right and the Ravens stomped them 30-7 and a huge Terrence Cody stuff on fourth down proved a huge momentum changer in the game. The next week was back to Heinz Field. After being up 21-7 and thinking this is it, this was when we were going to get past these bastardd Steelers, costly turnovers and (brace yourself to have painful flashbacks) a TD drop from Boldin and an EASY drop from TJ Houshmandzadeh on 4th down ended the season. The less said about this game the better, it was heartbreaking. The Patriots constantly beating us in the regular season, the Colts and Steelers always ending our Super Bowl hopes was becoming a constant theme.

Harding

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2011, the year that broke my heart and left me sobbing in the lounge floor on a cold January day in 2012. We all remember this season. This season is the most memorable for me after our Super Bowl wins because of how much is destroyed me and how much I thought it was our year. It all started with a roster clean out of the old boys; gone were McGahee, Heap, Gregg and Mason. 4 huge cuts that left us with some money to play with (something we need to do this off-season too IMO). The Ravens traded for Lee Evans (sheds tear, we will get to it), signed Vonta Leach, Ricky Williams and built the offensive line up by signing McKinnie and Gurode. Adding Torrey Smith and Jimmy Smith via the draft would also be moves hugely important to future success come 2012. Other notable picks include stud Pernell McPhee, QB Tyrod Taylor and busts Jah Reid, Tandon Doss (Flacco’s chosen one) and below average Chykie Brown. Losing Chris Chester and Dawan Landry were of small concern due to the addition of Bernard Pollard (I still miss Bernard, I loved that guy and what he brought, coverage issues aside). This was also the year we gave up on Antwan Barnes as he was traded for a 7th round pick (Oh how I loved Antwan Barnes. Would get to the QB at will but could just never bring him down! So frustrating).

With the exception of Torrey Smith’s coming out party against the Rams in week 2, a worrisome offense (flashback to Jacksonville on Monday Night Football – Sorry for making you think of that AWFUL game again) and an inconsistent Flacco led to a concerned fanbase. However, an extremely memorable game on thanksgiving where Alex Smith seemingly collapsed due to fear on every dropback (9 sacks for the Ravens defense) and sweeping the Steelers for the first time, hope was high that this was the year. We overcame the arch rival Steelers, finally. We are now the big brother. The regular season ending with a first round bye clinched after a victory against the Bengals in the week 17 meeting.

‘Beating’ the Texans 20-13 in the divisional round was a win, but not a convincing one. It was a win we all took but one that caused more anxiety over our offense. We won the game, but were outplayed by a gritty Texans team.

Thankfully, we moved on though to New England. Arch Rival number two. After overcoming Pittsburgh in the regular season, we are on the road to a title. What a story this would be to walk into New England and beat our other great foe. After a back and forth game, 23-20 was the score. We all know what happens next. Flacco marches the Ravens down the field and throws a perfect pass to Lee Evans in the endzone. We are jumping for joy, we have just walked into New England and won. We are going to the superbowl. What!?! He dropped it!! How!? Why?! Not this way! How could you drop that? Yes it was ripped out, but that moment ripped the hearts of the Ravens out, if only before it got stomped on and torn to shreds moments later. After not getting the TD, the ravens settled for a chip shot field goal to send it to overtime. With the momentum on our side, we were well on our way to victory. Cundiff comes out for a chip and we are heading into overtime. Let’s go baby!!........... no words can be spoken, only tears seen. The pain in Suggs face told the story, the pain in the sideline told the story. It was over, many of us thought it was our year and Cundiff missed a chip shot 32 yarder by a long margin. It was not even close. This January day I was a mess and I know many of you would’ve been also.

The famous Ray Lewis post game speech this moment led to was one of greatness and to me, was the motivation and a huge part of why 2012 had so much success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp0ABHaFwMY

“And the fact is that we have got to come back and go to work, to make sure we finish it next time, that’s all we gotta do. Joe you played your [inappropriate/removed] off. You hear me man, I’m telling you man, don’t ever drop your head when it comes to a loss dog, cos there’s too much pain outside of this that people are going through. This right here makes us stronger, lets understand who we are as a team who we are as men, and let’s make somebody smile when we walk out of here, we got the opportunity to keep going man, let’s be stronger as a team man, let’s be who we are, ravens on 3, 1-2-3 RAVENS!”
Harding

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 - The Magical Year

So comes 2012, the year, the fairytale ending Ray Lewis deserved. After declining play from Ed Reed and other veterans, it was almost a make or break year for this era of the Ravens. Crushing losses to the Colts twice in the playoffs, Pittsburgh twice and New England once, the Ravens season had ended in January too early for anyone’s liking. Particularly in the heartbreaking ways it happened. It started with the cuts of Lee Evans and Cundiff, alongside massive FA bust Dominique Foxworth. The Ravens also let go of JJ who was beloved and still is amongst the Ravens fanbase, even if he could not quite rush the passer as much as we all wanted. The signing of Jacoby Jones was a move that would lead to bigger expectations than we all thought. The draft class of Courtney Upshaw, Kelechi Osemele UDFA Justin Tucker added value while we should not forget busts Gino “worst C of all time” Gradkowski, RB Bernard Pierce, S Christian Thompson and WR Tommy Streeter.

Ed Reed breaking the all time interception return yards mark in week 1, a last minute loss to the Eagles and Mike Vick in week 2 and a huge game against New England in week 3 led to an early season of storylines. Week 3 saw the rematch against New England. Torrey Smith played his best game as a pro with his heart on his sleeve after losing his brother in a tragic motorbike accident. This was truly a beautiful game for Torrey and Ravens Nation to witness. A Justin Tucker field goal as time expired was the deciding play as the Ravens won 31-30 (even if that field goal gave us all jitters with how bad it was, thankfully Tucker got the nerves out then and has tucked ever since). Week 6 saw the Ravens lose Webb for the season and Ray Lewis to a torn triceps. Was this it for Ray Lewis? Was this the season over for the Ravens losing two huge defenders in what was a scratchy looking defense at the time. Jacoby Jones breaking off for a 105 TD kickoff return against Oakland which was the second time that season (108 yards vs DAL), was a sign of things to come February 3rd. The Ravens, now appearing to be the big brother in the Ravens/ Steelers rivalry, beat Pittsburgh and then moved to San Diego where all I need to say is 4th and 29 and you all know what is going on. While Ray Rice is someone forgotten (for good reason) around here, that play was simply magic and led the Ravens to 9-2. Super Bowl baby?? Too early? Probably!

The next 3 games were terrible. A loss to Charlie Batch, the famous Robert Griffin injury game in which we lost and the Denver smashing led us to 9-5 and huge questions around the team. However, Cam Cameron finally being given the boot, Jim Caldwell taking over and a convincing win against the Giants the next week clinched the AFC North with positivity still alive. Then, the magic all started to happen. Ray Lewis announced to the media that this was going to be his ‘last ride’. This was it. The greatness of our icon, our leader, our heart and soul was about to end. We had to give him the fairytale he rightfully deserved. After coming back from what was a season ending injury and playing with one arm upon his return, he was gone after the end of the season. The next loss he would retire. Thankfully, he would never have to taste defeat again after he announced this.

As the playoffs started, it started with a familiar foe, the Indianapolis Colts. The last two games against this team in January ended the Ravens season both times. This time would be different, as the team played with spirit and passion, the Ravens demolished the Colts 24-9 where Ray Lewis stood in the backfield for his final snap at M&T Bank Stadium. The Colts were always a nemesis for the Ravens come the playoffs and regular season. However, the ravens overcame them. Only a year after finally overcoming the big brother Steelers and once again beating Pittsburgh for the division title, the Ravens had not only walked through Pittsburgh, but they had now walked through the Colts on their way to New Orleans. Two rivals, two of the three teams who have crushed the Ravens playoffs dreams in this era had been beaten and overcome.

However, the case could be made it was not the Colts who we needed to overcome, but Peyton Manning. Well good news because he is the matchup next week as we flew to Denver. The Ravens had not beaten Manning since 2001. He was a thorn in their side the last decade. After it was 35-28 and facing fourth down, the season was over in my eyes. I truly felt we lost and that it was over. There was no way we could pull off what would be a miracle. Well, thanks to Jacoby Jones, Joe Flacco and Rahim Moore, the stars aligned and the mile high miracle was the play that sent Baltimore and the Ravens into a frenzy. Overtime we go! After an interception by Corey Graham, the Ravens marched down and a field goal from Tucker meant the Ravens fairytale season was continuing.

Finally, the Ravens had beaten another of their arch nemesis and ended his season for a change. Steelers? Check. Colts? Check. Manning? Check. New England Patriots? Here we come. This story could not have written itself any better. The Ravens had been beaten and broken by these teams every January of the last decade and yet here we are, having ran through them all on our way to New Orleans. It truly is a fairytale. Nothing will stop it. Especially not New England. In my life, I had never been so confident about a game. With Flacco, Pitta and Boldin marching down the field each game, I knew we were going to walk into New England and get revenge for a year ago. It did not come down to a field goal or one play. This was a demolition. This was not close. The Ravens destroyed New England and there fairytale had reached its destination of New Orleans.

The rest they say is history as the Ravens come out of the gates firing. Second half kickoff and boom! Away goes Jacoby Jones again for the longest play in Super Bowl history. As far as I was concerned we had the game won. BOOF! Pitch black darkness as the lights go out. Just like all fairytales, there is one final hurdle that must be overcome and this was it. All momentum was lost as San Francisco put up TD after TD to pull themselves within one score. After the Ravens being on their own goal line for what felt like an hour, they held out the 49ers in a huge effort by the defense and won the Super Bowl for the second time in Franchise history.

It is quite a fascinating story when you really think about it. The Ravens Super Bowl success of 2012 is one of fairytales. Harbaugh taking over and never being able to get by Pittsburgh, Indianapolis or the New England when it mattered. Each January ended in heartbreak to one of these three teams each time. Our journey towards the Super Bowl in 2012 went through all three + Peyton Manning, which only adds to the magic as he was the true nemesis of the Colts. The Ravens season ended by these teams and the road to New Orleans and the Baltimore Ravens second Super Bowl victory went right through all of them. The story was laid, the heartbreak is something that I will never forget. However, the story that was laid out and those years of pain all led to February 3rd 2013. It could not have been scripted any better. We overcome everything that had crushed us in the past and Ray got to retire on top of the world. It truly was a magical ride.

Hopefully, you got some enjoyment out of reading all of this.

Harding
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good read, thanks.

That game in Denver is still the most ridiculous NFL game I've ever watched. I was convinced the Ravens would lose, so I watched it without any expectations, and enjoyed it so much. Not so, the Super Bowl. I hated every minute of that game, after the blackout.

I only started watching the NFL in 2008, and latched onto the Ravens about halfway through the season, so I have no first hand knowledge of the Billick era, other than the original Hard Knocks, and the book Next Man Up. So these last couple of seasons are really the first time I've had to deal with the Ravens being on a downswing.

The story of Harbaugh's Ravens was one of improvement and building towards something, until the Super Bowl in 2012. I wonder if it's possible for them to do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:

That game in Denver is still the most ridiculous NFL game I've ever watched. I was convinced the Ravens would lose, so I watched it without any expectations, and enjoyed it so much. Not so, the Super Bowl. I hated every minute of that game, after the blackout.

I only started watching the NFL in 2008, and latched onto the Ravens about halfway through the season, so I have no first hand knowledge of the Billick era, other than the original Hard Knocks, and the book Next Man Up. So these last couple of seasons are really the first time I've had to deal with the Ravens being on a downswing.

The story of Harbaugh's Ravens was one of improvement and building towards something, until the Super Bowl in 2012. I wonder if it's possible for them to do it again.

thats exactly how i felt watching the denver game. It was such a crazy game, one I will always rememeber.
Harding

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:

I say no. Look at the talent he inherited. Now look at the dropping talent each year since. It is not all his fault, Ozzie has not had great drafts the last several years etc. However, his (and the FO) want for players that "play like a raven" combined with coordinators with do not scheme things to fit the talent they have has become a huge problem.

Our best defensive player Jimmy Smith was considered red flag character wise. Imagine if we passed him up and how our defense would look? Oh we saw that actually the last four games of the season. The results are not pretty.

I am sick of the FO bringing in 'there guys'. Why do you not just bring in talent instead of finding guys who help there grandma across the street. Our team has turned soft. Steve Smith leaving is not going to help that. Suggs is the only player with any nasty in him outside of Yanda. I do believe that Harbaugh is not considered massively with players signed etc. However he was incharge of coordinators and he buried himself by sticking to two 'pals' who do not scheme things to the talent that is on the roster. We have one of the best press corners in the NFL and he is made to play 7 yards off coverage every week. Pathetic.
OleXmad

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harding wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:

I say no. Look at the talent he inherited. Now look at the dropping talent each year since. It is not all his fault, Ozzie has not had great drafts the last several years etc. However, his (and the FO) want for players that "play like a raven" combined with coordinators with do not scheme things to fit the talent they have has become a huge problem.

Our best defensive player Jimmy Smith was considered red flag character wise. Imagine if we passed him up and how our defense would look? Oh we saw that actually the last four games of the season. The results are not pretty.

I am sick of the FO bringing in 'there guys'. Why do you not just bring in talent instead of finding guys who help there grandma across the street. Our team has turned soft. Steve Smith leaving is not going to help that. Suggs is the only player with any nasty in him outside of Yanda. I do believe that Harbaugh is not considered massively with players signed etc. However he was incharge of coordinators and he buried himself by sticking to two 'pals' who do not scheme things to the talent that is on the roster. We have one of the best press corners in the NFL and he is made to play 7 yards off coverage every week. Pathetic.

You want the ravens to take chances on more talented players/ players with sketchy characters? (That's what I read anyway) There's a reason the ravens don't draft players with Character concerns (Or rarely do) it's because they rarely if ever pan out. Sure you have a few cases (Marcus Peters, Jimmy Smith, Tyreek Hill etc.) But for every success story there's 10 busts who couldn't stop doing drugs or getting into trouble off the field.

It's an unnecesary risk that will more than likely waste the pick you used on the player (Of course you can do research on a player and find out that most of it was nonsense and get a great player at a discount) But that rarely happens.

We definitley need a new defensive coordinator, But Pees isn't going anywhere anytime soon so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: