Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2016 Season Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: 2016 Season Rankings Reply with quote

The stats are all the way in for the 2016 season. The biggest news is the Texans finish the season with the #1 defense in yards per game....which i believe is what everyone widely considers the #1 defensive statistic, when really points allowed should be, but then again the offense and special teams give up some points as well. Yards is the only thing thats all on the D.

Texans Offense:

29th in Yards per Game
29th in Pass Yards per Game
8th in Rush Yards per Game
28th in Points per Game

Its clear that our MO has been run the ball and play D, and it has worked this season. Several of the games we lost got out of hand because of turnovers and poor special teams play

Texans Defense:

1st in Yards per Game
2nd in Pass Yards per Game
12th in Rush Yards per Game
11th in Points per Game

Its obvious from the numbers and watching film that the Texans have a legit top 5 D in the league. The place we struggled was in the Give/Take at a -7, which ranked 26th in the league. That comes from a combo of being a high turn over offense, ranked 19th in turnovers and being a low turnover defense ranked 26th in the league.

We battled through a lot this season with poor QB play, the Prime Time curse, and of course losing the best player in football. If JJ Watt comes back as the JJ Watt of old, or really even half that good, then we will be a super bowl dominate defense.

Let's look at where some of our high profile players ranked this season:

Brock finishes the season surprisingly ranked 22nd in total QBR, which is ahead of playoff QBs Ryan Tannehill and Eli Manning

Lamar Miller missed some time for injury and still finished 10th in the league with 1,073 yards rushing.

Deandre Hopkins had a big day yesterday and was pulled down the stretch in a game that could have got him over 1000 on the season but instead he finishes with a respectable 954 yards putting him 29th in the league.

Nick Novak had perhaps the best kicking season in Texans history this year. He finshed 2nd the league with 35 made FGs on 41 tries, including a perfect 23 of 23 from kicks under 40 yards. He did miss 3 Extra points.

Lechler was 6th in the season in punting average and was 9th in punts downed inside the 20. Its safe to say that even at 40 years of age, he is still a top 10 punter in the league and i hope we keep him for a good while.

on the defensive side of the ball, we had a solid D, but no one really stood out, and if Clowney wasnt a high profile #1 pick, he wouldnt have made the pro bowl. the guy who i thought should have gotten in was Bernard McKinney. This guy is looking like hes a long term answer at linebacker.

He was 11th in the league in tackles. He also had more sacked(5.0) than anyone ranked in the top 40 of tackles. I feel like being on the #1 D and putting up those numbers should get you some recognition.

Mercilus lead our team in sacks with 7.5, good enough for 30th overall in the league.

Our other guys with sacks:
Clowney 6.0
Simon 3.5

we missed Watt

AJ Bouye was ranked 9th in the league in PDs. I think a lot of this had to do with teams trying to pick on him and him being a solid CB. I dont think hes a top 10 CB or anything but hes definitely made himself some money this year.

Demps surprisingly finished tied for 2nd in the league with 6 INTs. He will be 32 next season and probably cashes in on a semi decent deal from somewhere.

Hal had 2 picks, but our CBs are just not INT machines.

All in all it was a good regular season, but could have been much greater.

a 3 game losing streak to Oakland, San Deigo and Green Bay, all by 1 TD really hurt us in the standings. The loss to Tennessee didnt really matter and we rested a lot of starters.

I saved the craizest stat for last

WE NEVER SCORED 30 POINTS IN ANY GAME THIS SEASON.

Thats just mind blowing. our season high was 27 against the Titans. We had 8 games that we failed to score 20 points in. Our record in those 8 was 2-6, meaning when we mustered 20 points we were 7-1, the lone loss coming to Oakland in the Lazer bowl, and we scored 20.

WE NEVER LOST A GAME IN WHICH WE SCORED 21 POINTS OR MORE.....THATS INSANE.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: