Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Mike McCoy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G08

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't shock me to see him come to Chicago and reunite with John Fox.

Do you think he could develop a rookie QB? Or is he an offensive hack?

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
Duffman57

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:

Every year we've had him the offense, schematically, has looked solid. I just don't see him as a guy who can really, truly lead a team. He's just too complacent and reserved. He seems like one of those, quiet, lead by example type guys, and that doesn't work when you're a HC of 60+ guys. He also has been terrible with the HC decision making skills. He constantly had problems being aggressive enough to risk damn near anything unless we were in desperation mode, he made some very bad clock management decisions (and Rivers killed us there too in the past year or two, wasting TO's).

I think he can still be a successful OC, but he's kind of Norv-like in that I don't ever see him having the mentality/personality to lead a full team. The best I see him doing is being a good OC under a defensive minded HC.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
G08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duffman57 wrote:
G08 wrote:

Every year we've had him the offense, schematically, has looked solid. I just don't see him as a guy who can really, truly lead a team. He's just too complacent and reserved. He seems like one of those, quiet, lead by example type guys, and that doesn't work when you're a HC of 60+ guys. He also has been terrible with the HC decision making skills. He constantly had problems being aggressive enough to risk damn near anything unless we were in desperation mode, he made some very bad clock management decisions (and Rivers killed us there too in the past year or two, wasting TO's).

I think he can still be a successful OC, but he's kind of Norv-like in that I don't ever see him having the mentality/personality to lead a full team. The best I see him doing is being a good OC under a defensive minded HC.

Interesting. I was looking at your team's offensive production under him and it seems like you really found the most success when Whisenhunt was around. Do you think a lot of the success could be attributed to him?

Do you think Whisenhunt gets the axe as well if McCoy is fired?

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:

Reality is, OC's don't develop QB's, QB coaches do. Now McCoy, as a former QB, potentially could develop a guy, but he doesn't exactly have the best credentials to it right now. How much did Tim Tebow actually develop under him, other than learning how to (for the most part) take a drop from under center? Ultimately, they ended up having to adapt the offense to suit Tebow rather than developing Tebow to function within the (pro-style) offense.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know McCoy was formerly Jake Delhomme's QB coach back in the day during his tenure with the Panthers. Delhomme came out and voiced his support when McCoy was hired here a few years back.

The guy played QB and in general is a bright Offensive Mind, so I don't have any doubt he will return to being an OC/QB Coach and have success... I truly think McCoy is a "one and done" in terms of being a Head Coach-I don't think he is given another shot.

Anyways I am hoping for one of these current guys to replace McCoy:
"Figurehead"-Tom Coughlin
Offensive-Josh McDaniels
Defensive- Mike Smith (formerly Falcons HC)-current Bucs DC
S.T./"Wildcard"-Dave Toub, S.T. Coordinator for the Chiefs
G08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dave Toub would be an excellent hire... we had him for quite a while here in Chicago (ST coach) and he was just phenomenal. The players raved about him.

The whole "send your return coverage in the opposite direction of the actual kick" play that ST coaches run now was created by Toub.

I'm kind of hoping he's our next coach if/when Fox is fired.

G08

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Football Weekly (local reporter(s) from Chicago) are saying McCoy is a goner as well.

Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G08 wrote:
Pro Football Weekly (local reporter(s) from Chicago) are saying McCoy is a goner as well.

I'm so meh about it. He needs to go but I know we are going to bring in another uninspiring hire that I'll try to get my positive bones going for but I'm so tired of Luke warm.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
G08 wrote:

I'm so meh about it. He needs to go but I know we are going to bring in another uninspiring hire that I'll try to get my positive bones going for but I'm so tired of Luke warm.

Things are, if I'm being honest about how I'm seeing the tea leaves fall, going to get worse before they get better.

It wouldn't be the first time Dean overestimated his level of cachet with his peers, or the actual brass among ownership. I was shooting texts with Annie the other day and Kras may have a point that ownership on the whole in the league both doesn't want out of San Diego if it can be avoided in any way (i.e. they may yet stall some more) and don't want to risk a more favored (because frankly he was more willing to literally put his money where his mouth was) owner seeing his situation threatened in Kroenke. Dean's a tool along for the ride and the owners with stroke realize this and see little reason to not take advantage, much less cow row.

The bigger question is whether Dean is petty (or for that matter ballsy) enough to try to pull a Frontiere or something similar and intentionally try to field a product that drives people away from the gates and the polls if he doesn'the get his way. Though, similarly, one could question whether current power owners would tolerate that or try to "no confidence" vote Dean out of the inner circle which would be extremely and ugly, but probably doable given the lack of liquidity of the Spanish family and the complications that could arise from taxes and division of the estate if Alex were to pass during this ordeal.

MathMan wrote:
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To:dr

So you're saying we just have to wack Spanos?
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
To:dr

So you're saying we just have to wack Spanos?

That or suffer and pray Dean gets done dirty by the other owners and Donald-Sterling'd

MathMan wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: