Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Which veteran FA did the Bengals miss the most ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which vet FA did the Bengals miss the most ?
WR Mohammed Sanu (to ATL)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR Marvin Jones (to DET)
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
RT Andre Smith (to MIN)
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
DB Reggie Nelson (to OAK)
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
DB Leon Hall (to NYG)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OLB Emmanuel Lamur (to MIN)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

LondonBengal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Which veteran FA did the Bengals miss the most ? Reply with quote

So, this woeful season is over, and its worth looking back at what happened.

We lost/ didn't re-sign a lot of guys this last off-season that we didn't seemingly value enough; and most of those guys have had stellar/ significant seasons with their new teams, and a lot of them will be in the play-offs this year.........

We sure missed Jones out wide and deep, Ogbuehi clearly didn't out perform Andre Smith @ RT, and we badly missed Reggie ball-hawking in centre-field......

Which vet FA did we miss the most ?

I'm saying Marvin Jones..... we are just looking hopeless without Eifert and/or Green.......
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Which veteran FA did the Bengals miss the most ? Reply with quote

LondonBengal wrote:
So, this woeful season is over, and its worth looking back at what happened.

We lost/ didn't re-sign a lot of guys this last off-season that we didn't seemingly value enough; and most of those guys have had stellar/ significant seasons with their new teams, and a lot of them will be in the play-offs this year.........

We sure missed Jones out wide and deep, Ogbuehi clearly didn't out perform Andre Smith @ RT, and we badly missed Reggie ball-hawking in centre-field......

Which vet FA did we miss the most ?

I'm saying Marvin Jones..... we are just looking hopeless without Eifert and/or Green.......

marvin Jones. For all laFell has done, he is not a deep threat, and that allows the safeties to cheat up and destroy our running game.
Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is yes.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andre Smith
Marvin Jones
Reggie Nelson

In that order. Andre Smith is the biggest loss because of how bad the replacements were especially in the running game...
theJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Andre Smith
Marvin Jones
Reggie Nelson

In that order. Andre Smith is the biggest loss because of how bad the replacements were especially in the running game...

Yeah that sums up my thoughts.

~T.S. Eliot
GregorSamsa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote for Jones, but that's just because he has measurable production that we compare to what LaFell is doing here. But in casually looking at wr stats what Lafell is doing this year isn't that different from what Jones did here last year, at least as far longest receptions per game. And who is to know if he would produce like he did last year or like he has last year if he was still here? I haven't seen much of the Lions this year but have seen a lot of print about how good Stafford has been this year, so maybe we would have gotten the old Jones. And maybe closer examination of statistics would bare out that even if he did produce as he did last year the comparison isn't as close as it casually appears to me?

At one point I had heard that Smith was not doing well with the Vikings. But is it possible we are missing him more than anyone is talking about? Is he playing poorly because of a new scheme or lack of chemistry with his linemates? Maybe if he was still here he would be playing at a level he had been for us, or even if it was not quite as good it could still be better than what we've had at RT this year. I think he signed for 3 million? For that I would have kept him if I could as an insurance policy against the unproven kids. When I was looking at stats before posting our total offense and defense were both about 11th in yards, but our running yards were ranked notably behind our passing yards. Maybe Smith would improve our running game, with play at RT and maybe affect RG?, and that would make a bigger difference than anyone expected or is talking about?

Do you think Smith left just because he wanted more money than we were offering or maybe there were bad feelings? I don't think 3 million is a lot of money for the production he has given us. Seems like he went to Minnesota one a one year deal to demonstrate value for a payday next year. Isn't that generally a terrible idea? Line play is good because of continuity, so it seems playing one year for an entirely new line would rarely make a lineman look good unless that line was stacked outside your position.

I get anxious about posting things so I'm going to go ahead and press submit before I second guess myself any further and therefore will not proofread any of

GregorSamsa wrote:
Yes, yes I will quote myself
INbengalfan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Smith wanted to leave, I think Marvin had had enough of him, and the split was mutual. he has been bad in Minnesota, but who knows.

I do know he is the exact opposite of Ogbuehi. Good in the run blocking and horrid in pass blocking.

The only thing I miss about Reggie is that he actually made plays, specifically INTs. Our safeties have dropped far too many of those. It might have made a big difference in a few games, last Sunday included.

As I said above, LaFell has similar stats to Jones as did last year. However, LaFell can't stretch the field like Jones did, which has brought more people to the box, allowed teams to blitz us like crazy up the middle (where the weakness is) and shut down the run game.

Last edited by INbengalfan on Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

INbengalfan wrote:
I do know he is the exact opposite of Ogbuehi. Good in the run blocking and horrid in pass blocking.

Ogbuehi sucks at pass blocking. Andre Smith was better than him in every way. Only advantage Ogbuehi has is being young...
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it is a tie between Marvin Jones and Andre Smith. However, I can't blame the team for not bringing either back. We invest 2 high draft picks at OT, chances are the one of the two would hold down the fort, although it is pretty unfortunate that they weren't able to tell from practice that Ogbuehi wasn't even close to being ready. In retrospect Fisher should have had chances sooner. It's also hard to justify spending the money on Jones/Sanu that they got elsewhere. Lafell has been pretty productive, however isn't the deep threat Jones was, and while their stats may be similiar, the effect Jones had on defenses is 10x. I think Cody Core should've been given chances earlier in the year, I think he could develop into a pretty good threat from what I've seen. Fisher and Ogbuehi need to hit the weight room hard this offseason and bulk up.

I'm really hoping next year we can possibly move Ogbuehi to LT if he's ready and slide Whit inside. We better do something soon because Whit is on the downside of his career.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
For me it is a tie between Marvin Jones and Andre Smith. However, I can't blame the team for not bringing either back. We invest 2 high draft picks at OT, chances are the one of the two would hold down the fort, although it is pretty unfortunate that they weren't able to tell from practice that Ogbuehi wasn't even close to being ready. In retrospect Fisher should have had chances sooner. It's also hard to justify spending the money on Jones/Sanu that they got elsewhere. Lafell has been pretty productive, however isn't the deep threat Jones was, and while their stats may be similiar, the effect Jones had on defenses is 10x. I think Cody Core should've been given chances earlier in the year, I think he could develop into a pretty good threat from what I've seen. Fisher and Ogbuehi need to hit the weight room hard this offseason and bulk up.

I'm really hoping next year we can possibly move Ogbuehi to LT if he's ready and slide Whit inside. We better do something soon because Whit is on the downside of his career.

Not disagreeing, but saw today that PFF has him as the 2nd highest rated OT in the NFL this year. Not that they are the bible, but I did not expect him to be so high

Big thanks to kacymcbryant18 for the sig....^^
johndeere1707

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

Not disagreeing, but saw today that PFF has him as the 2nd highest rated OT in the NFL this year. Not that they are the bible, but I did not expect him to be so high

Even if that were true, history/age/probability seems to say he will not continue to keep up that level of production for much longer. All I'm saying is LT is a huge piece to a team which Whit has locked down for a long time. If Ogbuehi is not the answer, then we better be looking.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johndeere1707 wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

Even if that were true, history/age/probability seems to say he will not continue to keep up that level of production for much longer. All I'm saying is LT is a huge piece to a team which Whit has locked down for a long time. If Ogbuehi is not the answer, then we better be looking.

I absolutely agree. I was most just shocked that he was still so highly rated. He can't keep it up forever for sure

Beck Bristow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ochocinco4pres wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

The thing about Whit is he's never been a great athlete, he's got it done with intelligence, technique and the ever popular grit. That kind of player will age better. That said, I hope he slides to LG next year and Iggy man's tackle. See if he can do it.
ochocinco4pres

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beck Bristow wrote:
ochocinco4pres wrote:
johndeere1707 wrote:

The thing about Whit is he's never been a great athlete, he's got it done with intelligence, technique and the ever popular grit. That kind of player will age better. That said, I hope he slides to LG next year and Iggy man's tackle. See if he can do it.

With that setup, are you moving Boling to RG and letting Zeitler walk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cincinnati Bengals All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: