Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans D

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Texans D Reply with quote

Texans currently have the #1 D in yards allowed per game

we are 2nd in pass yards per game
we are 16th in rush yards per game
we are 12th in points per game.

imagine how high we would be in points per game if the offense and special teams didnt suck so bad.

We have to keep this D together. They could be dominate enough next year to lead us to to a super bowl.

We need to try and get 1 more season from Wilfork. imagine a completely healthy front 3 of Clowney/Wilfork/Watt

followed by a linebacking core of Mercilus/Cushing/McKinney/Simon
i think we could even upgrade by replacing Cushing, but McKinney has been playing at a pro bowl level this year

if we could get some luck and keep a healthy secondary, this group could be special.

CBs: JJoe, Kareem, Johnson, Bouye give us 4 solid corners
Safties: Demps and Hal have been playing great as well.

I would love to see us go all in and draft a NT, MLB and Saftey in some order in the first 3 rounds.

when you look at our D, its young for the most part.

Clowney - 23
Mckinney - 24
Hal - 24
Johnson - 24
Bouye - 25
Mercilus - 26
Simon - 26
Watt - 27
Jackson - 28

JJoe, Demps and Wilfork are the only post 30 guys on our D that we need going forward.

it will be hard to keep this group together for long though, so next season might be the only chance we have at a once in a lifetime D.

guys not under contract for next year are

Wilfork
Dent
Simon
Bouye
Demps
Antonio Smith

Keeping Simon will be tough, hes going to want big money. Bouye and Demps might come cheaper, but Bouye might not want to be the 4th corner anymore. He has shown enough to get a serious offer from another team.

I think we can cut Cushing and save enough money to bring back Simon Cushing might want to stay a Texan and will restructure his deal.

Jackson and J Joe are both in position that we could restructure them and save money for a year or two.

Derrick Newton and Chris Clark can both be cut and save us about 6 million.

If we really wanted to go a young route on offense, we could save 9 million by cutting Brown.

depending on how things shake out in the draft, we could take a tackle in round 1 and cut about 15 million dollars worth of tackles form our payroll, freeing up the money to keep the D together and signing Hopkins long term.

in 2018, we can cut Brock and save a ton of money.

we need to focus on D, and build that direction. I dont see any reason why we dont give Savage a chance at QB. This draft doesnt have a real stand out QB, and we can use those picks elsewhere.

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
amazingandre

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We def. need to focus on 1 or 2 T's this off-season. Newton is done for and brown has been sub par since his return. I think moving him to RT would help.
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our defense can benefit from a ball hawking safety. Our secondary doesn't force that many turnovers. We need a playmaker on the last line of defense. Hal hasn't been THAT impressive to me this season and Demps is a FA. I like our young core on defense and of course JJ Watt but we still have holes on the D even with our defense being very good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on if RAC is back next year I wouldn't be surprised if he went up to Rick Smith and BOB and ask to go after Dontari Poe. He was his first round draft pick when he was HC of the Chiefs. He could be a potential Wilfork replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Texans were to get Poe on this roster after the season I would be thrilled I was worried about replacing Wilfork only because I think Reader will be ready but we need more than one. Poe and Reader would be a great duo where we would keep them both fresh
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
We def. need to focus on 1 or 2 T's this off-season. Newton is done for and brown has been sub par since his return. I think moving him to RT would help.

Mark me down for 2. Newton was barely replacement level at his peak and was far from it even before his career ender.

I think we've been in denial of the obvious with Duane Brown for a while now. His off-season "Mexican hamburger" defense to avoid a 10 game roid suspension was almost as absurd as Cushing's "over trained athlete" defense except we've learned from 2010 to prepare the defense in advance and keep receipts.

I've always argued that roid's are as much of a longevity, injury and contract value issue as any moral or health issue and Cushing and Brown's roid enhanced salaries and current physical condition makes their 2017 contract values impossible to justify. Brown's quad rupture itself was indicative of long-term roid abuse as it's right up there with pec ruptures as injuries to major tendons that almost NEVER happen to humans that aren't juiced up weightlifters who have far exceeded their bodies natural carrying capacity and corresponding steroid induced tendon weakness.

We can cut DB free and clear this offseason and save $19.4 million in salary. I like DB and think he has given his heart, soul, & body to the Texans, but we have to be grown ups and acknowledge that he's damaged goods that will be under constant threat of a 10 game / season long suspension. We were naive in not addressing T after the quad injury last season and even more naive in expecting him to be ready AFTER his 2nd positive test which certainly would have led to his release if not for the creative loophole his people exploited.

So has ANYONE ever offered an explanation as to why we let Brandon Brooks walk only to replace him with the clearly inferior Jeff Allen? Price difference was negligible ($400k per season) and we burned a season getting him into playing shape presumably developing him for the long-term only to let him walk at his peak. Dude has done nothing but continue to progress into a top 5 RG and may be the best pass protecting RG in the NFL. Teams like the Cowboys & Raiders are in contention largely because they built & spent around cohesive young o-lines and lil Ricky seemed to toss aside the two best long-term components in favor of damaged goods and his continuing quest to justify drafting the swinging gate that is XSF.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyon1 wrote:
If the Texans were to get Poe on this roster after the season I would be thrilled I was worried about replacing Wilfork only because I think Reader will be ready but we need more than one. Poe and Reader would be a great duo where we would keep them both fresh

Poe has as many OFFENSIVE TDs (one) this year as Braxton Miller and Stephen Anderson and 1 more than Alfred Blue, Akeem Hunt, Jonathan Grimes, Jay Prosch, Tyler Ervin, Jaelen Strong, and Keith Mumphrey combined. He literally weighs as much as 2 Will Fullers, so I'm not sure if Will Fuller's 2 TDs make him statistically better. Maybe Poe's red zone presence would keep O'Brien from calling fade's from the 1 or running 180lb Rbs into piles, as apparently they are less effective than bubble screens to 350lb Nose Tackles. I'm on board.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: