Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

C Nick Martin out for 4 months / regular season

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 5474
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: C Nick Martin out for 4 months / regular season Reply with quote

Quote:
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Texans second-round C Nick Martin will miss the season after undergoing ankle surgery.
ESPN reports Martin is expected to miss at least four months, which would essentially rule him out for all of the regular season. ... Martin suffered what was called a high-ankle sprain last week, but it is clear the injury was more severe than initially reported. With Martin expected to serve as the starting center as a rookie, the Texans will now turn to undrafted sophomore Greg Mancz.
via rotoworld

I would hope Rick Smith is earning that extension and working the phones.

Two names jump out at me: G Ronald Leary (DAL) and C Stefen Wisniweski (PHI). Leary seems more realistic as he wants out of Dallas. BUT he doesn't play center. Acquiring Leary would allow us to slide XSF to center or at least strengthen the interior of the line with a proven vet.

I think one of our pass rushing OLB / DEs (Washington or Thompson) and a conditional late round pick might be enough to entice Dallas. Just a thought
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 15972
Location: Melbourne, Arkansas
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Sucks, we finally had a 2nd round pick that was going to be a solid week 1 starter for us. Hopefully he makes a full recovery and we get better next season.

I am not liking how we spend all this money and picks on weapons for the offense, but dont have the guys on the line to do anything with them. We are going to be running a lot of 3 second pass drills
_________________

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
PAtexansFAN99


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 4799
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see that, kinda like the Clark trade last year. I'm surprised Bergstrom doesn't slide right in to the starting C spot. I think it's either a good sign that Mancz has improved significantly or a bad sign that Bergie isn't really as good as we'd hoped.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Wolf6151


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 3023
Location: Pearland, Texas
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope Rick Smith is paying attention when teams start making their roster cuts, we need O-line help badly. It pisses me off that it seems like the Texans didn't learn anything from the David Carr experience. Why are we surrounding our franchise QB with crap protection again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14974
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I sure hope Rick Smith is paying attention when teams start making their roster cuts, we need O-line help badly. It pisses me off that it seems like the Texans didn't learn anything from the David Carr experience. Why are we surrounding our franchise QB with crap protection again.


They are working on improving their line, injuries suck, but we can't control them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wolf6151


Joined: 11 Feb 2008
Posts: 3023
Location: Pearland, Texas
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
I sure hope Rick Smith is paying attention when teams start making their roster cuts, we need O-line help badly. It pisses me off that it seems like the Texans didn't learn anything from the David Carr experience. Why are we surrounding our franchise QB with crap protection again.


They are working on improving their line, injuries suck, but we can't control them.


I know we can't control injuries, but they can control the draft when your LT is facing a possible career threatening injury and your RT gets injured almost every year. Just saying that instead of 2 WR's why not take an OT and provide QB protection and O-line depth.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PAtexansFAN99


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 4799
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
amazingandre wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:
I sure hope Rick Smith is paying attention when teams start making their roster cuts, we need O-line help badly. It pisses me off that it seems like the Texans didn't learn anything from the David Carr experience. Why are we surrounding our franchise QB with crap protection again.


They are working on improving their line, injuries suck, but we can't control them.


I know we can't control injuries, but they can control the draft when your LT is facing a possible career threatening injury and your RT gets injured almost every year. Just saying that instead of 2 WR's why not take an OT and provide QB protection and O-line depth.


I think they like Devlins ability to coach up the late round\UDFA project type guys. You're not gonna find anyone in the third round that can block Chandler Jones anyway.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
canyon1


Joined: 17 Feb 2007
Posts: 710
Location: Austin, TX
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't do it all in one off-season and just because you draft oline high doesn't mean your problem is fixed they need to build chemistry with each other. Look at the Packers they created their line with people drafted all over the place and they have one of the better lines in football... Someone is going to call me out on this but I would rather have the Packers oline than the Cowboys oline because Cowboys put a lot of money into what they have and will require a lot of money to keep the core together. Green Bay on the other hand will pay their guys more money but watch they won't be as high paid as Dallas. They will have more money to spread out to the rest of the team and still have a top line. I am all for add pieces to the oline next year and start building depth along the line but look at our WR's. Hands down this group is the deepest we have EVER had
_________________
My Teams
NFL: Texans
NBA: Pistons
MLB: Tigers
NHL: Red Wings
NCAAB: Michigan
NCAAF: Michigan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pastor Dillon


Joined: 12 Jan 2007
Posts: 15972
Location: Melbourne, Arkansas
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is his future with the team, we have gotten a solid year from Mancz. Do they battle it out or does one of them get moved to guard.

We have the makings of a great O-Line. RG has been a little bit of an issue, and so has RT. We need to draft a tackle, possible even in round 1 to play RT, and eventually move over to LT to take over for Brown
_________________

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jch1911


Joined: 21 Mar 2009
Posts: 5474
Location: West Palm Beach, FL
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
What is his future with the team, we have gotten a solid year from Mancz. Do they battle it out or does one of them get moved to guard.

We have the makings of a great O-Line. RG has been a little bit of an issue, and so has RT. We need to draft a tackle, possible even in round 1 to play RT, and eventually move over to LT to take over for Brown


I would like to sign Vollmer and draft a developmental tackle prospect.

But yes, with Mancz playing well and having him return healthy, we could have a solid interior group.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amazingandre


Joined: 16 Dec 2007
Posts: 14974
Location: Elkhorn, WI
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think between X, Mancz and Martin, our interior should be solid. I think it's time to move Brown to RT and draft a LT in rd 1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PAtexansFAN99


Joined: 04 Jan 2007
Posts: 4799
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
I think between X, Mancz and Martin, our interior should be solid. I think it's time to move Brown to RT and draft a LT in rd 1.


I'm definitely feeling like a Tackle this year as well. And then if by some miracle Derek Newton is able to work his way back to full strength, we'd be looking at a super duper loaded set of blockers (I wouldn't be surprised to see Kendall Lamm slide into Newton's spot next year either). We've got the defense to keep us in games against the league's best offenses. The best way to conquer the Bradys and Rodgerses, and Breeses of the world is to take our sweet time kicking the living [inappropriate/removed] out of their defenses. More big meanies please.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group