Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 13: Saints vs Lions GDT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Literally no one on the roster acted like they wanted to be out there today. Even the fans were quieter than usual.

But hey, Cooks for his targets so at least he'll be happy all week.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlowe22 wrote:
Literally no one on the roster acted like they wanted to be out there today. Even the fans were quieter than usual.

Thats because they were told last week was the superbowl. Nobody actually thought they were playing this week.
Breesus mode

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 7-9 year, yaaaaaaaay
you missed a bowl game at the end of your season
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottom line is that this is just an average football team through and through...

Great offense that is spotty against top defenses.
Questionable play calling
Improving defense but still a ways away
Poor special teams
Severe lack of depth at certain areas on the roster

It's a 8-8 ball club guys! Some days they will look like world beaters and other days they will look like a full on rebuild is in order. Often times they will be in thigh games. Payton has become Jeff Fisher and to be honest I just don't see a major leap forward for this club next season as 10-6 and a wildcard berth in 2017 is about as best as we can hope for.

WHODAT91FOREVER
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Payton has become Jeff Fisher and to be honest I just don't see a major leap forward for this club next season as 10-6 and a wildcard berth in 2017 is about as best as we can hope for.
I had this exact thought today. The parallels are uncanny.
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do see us better next year unless Brees regresses which is a real possibility. On offense we need a more consistent rushing attack to open things up. Another offseason and this receiving core should be great assuming they aren't whining about getting touches. Defense is trending upwards so that's not the same dumpster fire it used to be. Remember we went 8-8 and 7-9 the two years before we won the Super Bowl.

Fleener is straight up garbage at this point, need to part ways asap. Lutz got another kicked blocked and Morestead played like [inappropriate/removed]. Our kick returners played like [inappropriate/removed] again we need a special teams overhaul.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now Payton is throwing Carmichael under the bus (somewhat deserved) and is going to take back all play calling duties. ...interesting.

Payton is pissed that "his team came out flat" and so on. Well, teams only get as fired up as their leader.
domepatrol91

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid Iowa wrote:
So now Payton is throwing Carmichael under the bus (somewhat deserved) and is going to take back all play calling duties. ...interesting.

Payton is pissed that "his team came out flat" and so on. Well, teams only get as fired up as their leader.
Payton called half of the Rams game and the entire Detroit game. He already took the playcalling responsibilities back, and it ended in disaster.
Fray32

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize he's injury prone, but these last few weeks I've been surprised by the usage of Ellerbe, and he's not half bad rushing the passer. I sort of forgot he was even on the team tbh, but they should consider keeping him around.
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Payton has become Jeff Fisher and to be honest I just don't see a major leap forward for this club next season as 10-6 and a wildcard berth in 2017 is about as best as we can hope for.

This offseason will be the first time this regime will feel extreme pressure to produce...

It's basically a de facto season for Payton as he'll be coming off 3 straight seasons not making the playoffs while having one of the elite quarterbacks in the NFL in his prime.

Speaking of Brees... he'll be entering his final year of his deal before it is required to be restructured and he'll be looking at 39 the following season.

I have no doubt that this team will be going ALL IN on the 2017 season and I expect Loomis and Payton to use the free money Brees contract created to be aggressive in free agency this offseason. These guys realize that if the Saints don't make the playoffs in 2017 that changes will happen.

Having said all that... Payton could seriously reevaluate this team this offseason and potentially force his way out of New Orleans via trade instead of being a lame duck coach if he feels this team is still further away because the bottom line is that Payton's reputation will be on the line in 2017.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
Mid Iowa wrote:

Payton called half of the Rams game and the entire Detroit game. He already took the playcalling responsibilities back, and it ended in disaster.
My bad. I actually relied on NFL.com as a source....... go figure.

I guess I'll just add what you wrote to my "reasons to fire Sean Payton".
Jlowe22

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the playcalling was certainly awful against Detroit, whoever's fault it was. But more alarming, players simply didn't look like they wanted to play. We've played badly in other games this year, but never for the full 60 minutes like this. This was easily the worst game we've played in a long time, not a single bright spot to be seen anywhere on the team.

If we play like this next game, Payton needs to be fired immediately. This is reminiscent of Tampa Bay, back with Raheem Morris and Josh Freeman, when they would completely give up and tank at the end of seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlowe22 wrote:
If we play like this next game, Payton needs to be fired immediately.
We both know better than this, right? We'll do something stupid like run the table, end up in 7th place (just out of wild card contention) and right in the middle of the draft pack. Payton will have "shown promise" for the years to come, they'll extend him and Brees through the 2025 season, build a new stadium right on top of the Super Dome, and then go 7-11 (assuming we put 2 more games on the schedule) for the next 6 years straight.

I'd better have another drink.
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Only difference between the two is Payton won his Super Bowl appearance (thank god). Other than that they've become huge mirrors of each other. And the main thing with the two is that it's just not exciting with one of them at the helm of your team. Fisher is the most boring coach in the league, I think Payton's headed down that road. It's hard to get excited for this team at this point, he is not the fire breather that he once was. We just feel stagnant and like we never change, we're always the same. Just like the Rams are always good defense but can't fix their incompetent offense, we are the reverse. We have huge stinkers where we look unprepared in what could be a big game for playoffs hopes. It all looks exactly like the Rams.

I think he needs to be fired, but after seeing how Tom Benson has ran the Pelicans lately I have no confidence it will happen. If he does get fired he'll probably get hired by another team just like Fisher did, and I bet they'll regret it when they go through these monotonous 7-9 seasons over and over. I love Payton for what he did for the team 2006-2013 but it's just not the same. Fire him, get an energetic new coach to breathe some fire into the team just like Payton did in 06, start getting ready for a rebuild/reload but try to enjoy these last couple of years w/ Brees and try to build a winning team. It's not gonna happen w/ Payton, and I was firmly in the "let Payton ride out Brees' career here first" camp before.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: