FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We are transitioning to a new forum software platform. Your current password will not work after August 12th. Update the email in your profile so you are not locked out. Click here for more information.

Texans @ Packers...who cares?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazingandre

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Texans @ Packers...who cares? Reply with quote

Honestly, I expect GB to dominate us for 60 minutes. Wouldn't surprise me if they scored on every drive
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at how terrible our division is and playing around on the NFL playoff machine, its crazy how easy it should be for us to make the play offs.

I put in us losing to the Packers, Bengals and Colts....beating the Jags and Titans.

I had the colts beating us, the Jets and Jags while losing to the Vikings and Raiders.

we make the playoffs at 8-8

That playoff match up would put us at home against either the Chiefs, Raiders, Broncos or Dolphins.

when you think about that, there is a chance we could go 8-8 and win a playoff game.

more over there is the possibility that we could get the Chiefs and then the Raiders in the first two rounds of the playoffs. We beat the chiefs once this year, and we played the Raiders tough and got some bad calls.

its not even a stretch to think about us being 8-8, division champs and making the AFC Championship game.

I don't expect that, but seriously, anything could happen.

heck if the Jags win out, and the AFC south were to go winless against non AFC south teams, the Jags could win the division at 7-9

The Titans or Colts could finish with 10 wins and put this whole thing to rest.

the AFC south champion could have anywhere from 7-11 wins.

but the bottom line is we need 3 wins in the last 5 weeks and we will comfortably win the division

^S/o to El Ramster for the amazing sig
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right there with you. As harsh a critic as I have been of this team, watching them every week has always been a given. Was a season ticket holder for over a decade and once I could no longer justify that, I still carved out 4 hours that were non-negotiable every week. Even our teams that I knew weren't going anywhere were still intriguing as the GM/coach in me still was compelled to watch, so I could at least try to figure out what we could do to improve. THIS team, however, has ignited a feeling I've never had about this team. Utter & complete boredom and apathy. Bill O'Brien's brand of football has been an unwatchable mess since he got here and as long as Rick Smith is still collecting paychecks for his ability to add one player per year in a sport with a 53 man roster we are staying on this hopeless treadmill. Even when we stumble into good players around here, they are quickly poisoned by the mediocrity or stupidity virus around here and you begin to turn on them just as they do on this mess. AJ, Arian, Cushing, right on down the line to Deandre Hopkins who is doing a wonderful latter day AJ impression as an incredibly talented player who has been checked out all season and you can't blame an inaccurate QB for his complete inability to create separation this season. I wanted to reach thru my TV and stab the ninja assassin this week as he and Clowney can't even master the ability to look at the ball and line up behind it!!! Sure, losing JJ takes alot of the fun out of at least watching this defense, but it just feels like his story has already been written and we're just going to watch his body fall apart as like Gronk, the tough guy stuff was great to watch, but not conducive to a long career especially with the incompetent medical staff around here. His offseason Rocky/Lumberjack BS isn't so cute when he's getting $100 million to do grandstanding for his "brand" while recovering from back surgery and then lasts 2 games in has real job because he unlike Rocky he is NOT a fictional character.

As I type this, I have another unwatchable Thursday night going on in the background and this one actually has two possible Super Bowl contenders. I could never imagine NFL games dropping from the primary TV in my house, but the quality has been so awful this season, games are mostly just background noise at this point with much more entertaining options occupying the good TV & computer. I check in on the fantasy team, but it really is more like checking the stock ticker as an investment, more than being entertained by the product. I could NEVER have imagined the NFL drifting from my consciousness, like the NBA did for me in the late 90's, but I haven't watched a complete NBA game in about 15 years now and really don't miss it. This week I didn't even bother to jump thru the hoop of streaming the Monday night game (I'm a very satisfied cord cutter) and this stupid Thursday night game might be my last. As much as it pains me to admit, the Cowboys have been one of the few watchable teams this year with Dak & Zeke, but even they couldn't overcome this Thursday malaise and goodness knows Matt Asiata and the rest of these horrifically boring 2.5 yard per play Vikings weren't going to save it.

The Packers were my "bridge" team between the Oilers and Texans as they were my grandfather's team and Favre was my fantasy QB and Rodgers has made me some $$, but even they are just a stupid unwatchable mess this season with unprecedented roster ignorance with a WR playing running back and cutting an all-pro guard for absolutely no apparent reason. At a certain point when there is so much money and so little difference in ROI for being good vs. mediocre for teams, players, coaches it was bound to eventually start to eat itself like every other fat stale corporation where innovation isn't worth the risk to the bottom line. Somebody is going to have to have the balls to shake this mess up and try something truly different or they are going to destroy their own product with predictability, sameness, and lethargy the way Clear Channel destroyed radio which survived every technological threat from tv to cassettes to iphones only to be killed by the one this that an entertainment medium can't survive - being boring.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Griffin... I really do... but I think that fumble sealed his fate as a free agent
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now it is a game of who wants it more.....
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down 7-0 with out offense is probably too big a hill to climb

jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
Down 7-0 with out offense is probably too big a hill to climb

Sad, but true.... esp. in these conditions.... our guys look like they are on skates
Mesa_Titan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are they passing so much?

#JDI
Marco79

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This defense deserves so much better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

98 yard drive in the snow for the dagger

jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So did anyone else see the report about the infection in Savage's elbow.... I would check Rick Smith's house first and Osweiler's second...

Looking for a dirty syringe Wink Laughing
jch1911

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mesa_Titan wrote:
Why are they passing so much?

The theory (IIRC) is that in poor conditions the WR / offense has an advantage because they know where they are going, but the defense has to shift / change / adjust

That shift / change is supposed to give the offense an advantage in poor weather (rain or snow, etc.)
amazingandre

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so glad I don't care about this team as much, the losses make me less upset each week.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I had Texans game on mute on back TV because snow at least looked cool and guaranteed at least one thing would be different in the game than the other 12. From what I saw pretty much every other element was identical aside from the fact that the refs actually got a sideline call right and despite while still giving the opponent a extra full yard on a 4th down spot, it wasn't enough to give them a 1st down. Only other unique play I saw was our kicker pulling off a soccer style flop, not to try to draw a foul, but to try and blame a missed XP on field conditions when he clearly had no problem with footing until it was clear he had pushed the attempt (pretty sure Lechler gave him grief about it when leaving the field which may be the first time in NFL history a PUNTER was justified throwing shade at another player).

Otherwise, you could pretty much overlay the recap with every other loss this season:
* Run almost every 1st down. Run almost every 2nd down. At least one of them gets stuffed for a loss or no gain.
* Only time we move the ball is on runs on 3rd and long - either Brock tucking & running or draw play.
* Defense containing a decent offense all day before giving up 2 or 3 easy ones by targeting receiver covered by Charles James or Kareem Jackson (altho Jordy Nelson backbreaker was just a great catch against solid coverage).
* Antonio Smith lining up offsides.
* Jeff Allen getting destroyed on simple inside run play to give up multiple yard loss on the "safest" play in the playbook.
* Chris "the matador" Clark looking foolish on at least 3 plays to give up sack or desperation hold
* Jay Prosch whiffing a blitz pickup anytime he is inexplicably on the field on a pass play and providing ZERO push in short yardage.
* Bill O'Brien wasting at least 2 time outs in the 1st or 3rd quarters that will would completely change our ability to manage the clock at the end of a half or game.
* Deandre Hopkins making the one Texans play likely to make the highlight reel in recap packages, feeding the false dialogue that Ossy just can't get the ball to him. Press and fans ignore the other 60+ plays where he gets zero separation, lazy route running, and mental lapses and drops that any other player on the team would get destroyed for.
* Brian Cushing running like a football player on a hockey rink (including the frozen tundra at NRG).
* A Texans street free agent starting safety showing why nobody else had any interest in signing him.
* A Texans late round pick at safety showing why other teams had no interest in wasting a pick on them on draft day better yet starting them.
* A Texans UDFA at safety showing why nobody else even wanted them on their practice squad, better yet nickel duty.
* Texans defense comes up with a huge stop or turnover. Players barely have time to put down their helmets before Texans punt.
* Announcers with early game obligatory mention about how smart Texans management was for seeing every down role for him and how the Dolphins wasted his talent. First half features Texans running Lamar Miller into piles for sub 3 yard gains and drives that lead to 3 and out punts or are salvaged by 3rd down back or QB running for 1st. "Every down back" LM leaves game due to injury & announcers discuss how we can't afford that. Offense actually opens up for a bit with LM in locker room and we move ball or even score. LM returns in 2nd half and gets one run 20+ yards that improves stat line and announcers discuss how he's been waiting to bust out all day. LM gets 8 more carries that go nowhere.
* Texans run-based offense fails to get 1 yard when needed either on 4th down or in red zone.
* Texans TE fails to run route to 1st down marker on 3rd down resulting in being 1 yard short.
* Texans resort to 3rd or 4th option for kick and punt returns after latest "plan" to prioritize return game fails miserably.
* Texans WR gets hurt in game. You are reminded Keith Mumphrey is still on this team. You wonder where Jaelen Strong is before remembering, he already made his 2 plays this season.
* Hope that Tom Savage is "the answer" disappears when you realize that this guy literally gets hurt in the local room.
* You see Akeem Dent actually show up in the box score and you remember that he and Akeem Hunt are different people. You do the math on what Akeem Dent & Tony Bergstrom earn each week to watch games from good bench seats and question your entire existence upon realizing they earned another $156,000 today and you get to go to work tomorrow knowing all your hard work for the past 25 years has still never gotten you close to earning in a year, what they did in a day.

Recovering Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: