Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

So we're playing the saints again.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fretgod99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
I mean come on. Some sacks are on Cam, but the sacks you were referring to when you made this thread absolutely were not. There was nothing he could do, especially when its coming from your blind-side. On one of those sacks, he could have probably stepped up in the pocket but it isn't like anyone separated downfield.

He's not played a great game by any means but not everything that goes wrong is on him.
The immediate pressure he (likely) can't do much, if anything, about. Aside from line calls and awareness, it's out of his hands.

The ones that bother me are like the two in a row last week against KC that killed that 20-play drive and pushed them out of field goal range. Think he had at least one last night, too. Basically, beyond the first few games of his career when he successfully used it half-way regularly, it far more often then not results in a significantly more negative play.

The line sucks this year. Our line hasn't been good for a few years. But this year they are particularly bad. Stewart has to make insanely athletic plays just to turn a no gain into a 2 or 3 yard one. Not having Oher obviously doesn't help, but it's not like he's a game breaker. Pass protection is generally even worse.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
iknowcool

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newton's deep ball has been really bad this year I noticed. It hangs in the air and ends up underthrown way too often.

He's never been super accurate but I thought he was a lot more consistent in hitting guys like Ginn and Brown whenever they got open deep.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard some talk that Luke Kuechly is considering retirement.

It would be a sad day to lose one of the greatest, if not the greatest, player to ever put on a panthers uniform.

He has to do what is right for him.... and, whatever his decision, we have to be thankful for having had him on our team.

That said... I'm selfish... I don't want him to go!

FFMD 15 - General Manager
FFMD 16 - Asst. General Manager
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From who? Fans?

I haven't seen anyone with credibility say anything about Kuechly contemplating retiring.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
From who? Fans?

I haven't seen anyone with credibility say anything about Kuechly contemplating retiring.

Just rumor,

Some comments online, heard some incomplete speculation on the radio.

The word was that he told his family, after the concussion last year, that he would retire if he suffered another concussion.

I hope it's just rumor.

fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
Newton's deep ball has been really bad this year I noticed. It hangs in the air and ends up underthrown way too often.

He's never been super accurate but I thought he was a lot more consistent in hitting guys like Ginn and Brown whenever they got open deep.
His footwork has never been good. He's so physically gifted that he can often get the ball downfield with zip just from arm strength. But, combine his penchant for poor footwork with bad offensive line play and he's throwing off his back foot all the frickin' time. It's frustrating to watch balls sail like they did his first couple years in the league because his feet are a mess.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Lasus83

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
iknowcool wrote:

His footwork has never been good. He's so physically gifted that he can often get the ball downfield with zip just from arm strength. But, combine his penchant for poor footwork with bad offensive line play and he's throwing off his back foot all the frickin' time. It's frustrating to watch balls sail like they did his first couple years in the league because his feet are a mess.

They tried to fix this with 6'5" receivers and Oher... Well, KB has been less than spectacular this year... Oher is nowhere to be seen and, even if he was, is not a rock at LT... Remmers has been absolutely awful and Khalil has been oft-injured (something that NEVER happens).

It's been a season of disaster... a season where we have always been a FG away from a win.

If we somehow make it into the playoffs, it'll be due to the NFC south doing it's thing again (losing at the end of the year), and by sheer luck.

fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasus83 wrote:
They tried to fix this with 6'5" receivers and Oher... Well, KB has been less than spectacular this year... Oher is nowhere to be seen and, even if he was, is not a rock at LT... Remmers has been absolutely awful and Khalil has been oft-injured (something that NEVER happens).

It's been a season of disaster... a season where we have always been a FG away from a win.

If we somehow make it into the playoffs, it'll be due to the NFC south doing it's thing again (losing at the end of the year), and by sheer luck.
KB is KB. He will make a spectacular play, then drop a routine ball. That's who he was in college; that's who he's been as a pro. Oher was at least serviceable on the left side when he was around. Not great, definitely a position to upgrade, but serviceable. Remmers is at best a place filler on the right side. On the left, like you said.

But Newton's issues with footwork make me wonder how much they have done and honestly, what else could have been done (if anything), to make Newton a more consistent, accurate passer. Accuracy is a hard thing to work on, but it can be improved. But there hasn't been a ton of improvement that I can see with Newton. He's a 59% passer on decent days. Don't think that will change at this point.

MrDrew wrote:
Lasus83

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Lasus83 wrote:

KB is KB. He will make a spectacular play, then drop a routine ball. That's who he was in college; that's who he's been as a pro. Oher was at least serviceable on the left side when he was around. Not great, definitely a position to upgrade, but serviceable. Remmers is at best a place filler on the right side. On the left, like you said.

But Newton's issues with footwork make me wonder how much they have done and honestly, what else could have been done (if anything), to make Newton a more consistent, accurate passer. Accuracy is a hard thing to work on, but it can be improved. But there hasn't been a ton of improvement that I can see with Newton. He's a 59% passer on decent days. Don't think that will change at this point.

I don't think our defense has lost too much. Well, not from last year. In 2014, when we had Hardy, it was different up front... that front 4 was killing the game.

I'm holding out hope that DG addresses LT in FA this year... that a upper tier LT is something we PAY for. We are set in the interior until Kalil retires and RT is less of a priority... Then, and I know it is a long shot, I hope we draft (hopefully have to trade up to draft) Fournette.

I just look at what a good OL and stud RB has done for Prescott... I look at the difference in what our offense is from last year when we had a mostly-healthy Jstew, an mostly healthy OL and were able to give teams multiple looks on offense...

The problem this year, for me, is not so much Cam's mechanics (as you said, they have never been good), but it is the running game.

I heard a stat today that said something like Cam had only kept the ball 14 times this year on read-option plays. I'm not high on him being a primary running option but I want the threat to be there.

We keep these defenses guessing and we can go back to the offensive performance of 2015. We get some better edge rush and we can go back to the defense of 2014.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: