Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Max Unger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Max Unger Reply with quote

Here's a fun fact for you, Max Unger is on pace to give up the least amount of pressures ever (unsure if it was by a center or just period). That trade was amazing. That's all.

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Max Unger Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
Here's a fun fact for you, Max Unger is on pace to give up the least amount of pressures ever (unsure if it was by a center or just period). That trade was amazing. That's all.

Unger for Graham was great but it just sucks that we whiffed on a 1st round pick! Anthony is a good player but bad fit for our new DC scheme. The sad thing is that there were a number of other quality defenders available at that 31st spot.

The trade was good but whiffing on the 1st rounder keeps it from being great for us.

WHODAT91FOREVER
saintsfan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Max Unger Reply with quote

whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Unger for Graham was great but it just sucks that we whiffed on a 1st round pick! Anthony is a good player but bad fit for our new DC scheme. The sad thing is that there were a number of other quality defenders available at that 31st spot.

The trade was good but whiffing on the 1st rounder keeps it from being great for us.
Give it some time. Last year we thought it was one of our best 1st round picks in a while. How quick we are to forget how many plays Anthony made on the field last year

Adopt A Saint 2016
WR Michael Thomas 92 catches 1,137 yards 9 TDs
SS Kenny Vaccaro 68 tackles 1 sack 2 FF 1 FR 2 INT 5 PD
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Max Unger Reply with quote

saintsfan wrote:
whodatworm23 wrote:
Spartica4Real wrote:

Give it some time. Last year we thought it was one of our best 1st round picks in a while. How quick we are to forget how many plays Anthony made on the field last year

You miss understand me... I like Anthony, I said he's a good player but just appears to be a not so good fit in Allen's scheme. What we're hearing is that basically Anthony has a hard time grasping the defensive concept let alone run the show at the Mike. Therefor they switched him to the Sam where their is a lot less thinking but also a lot less playing time. They are still dual training him at the Mike but we see things like this all the time... a new DC comes in and certain players simply don't fit. Allen isn't the type of coach to stand for players simply not knowing where to line up or what their assignments are, this isn't Rob Ryan.

Only time will tell if Anthony comes around mentally but I think it's more likely that he's trading at some point.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Spartica4Real

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With or without Anthony I think it's safe to say it was a great trade won by us. Jimmy is more expensive, more injury prone, and Brees can throw to anyone but needs people to block for him. I feel like the only thing that hurt us with losing Jimmy was our red zone offense is worse, but we now have a center on pace for the least pressures given up (ever!!! people need to realize how amazing this is) to protect our elite QB and help open up our run game. As well as it causing Brees to go back to his old ways of spreading the ball around. I feel like as a whole we are undoubtedly better w/ Unger.

"What Max Unger is doing so far this season from a pass-blocking standpoint has been pretty impressive. He has allowed just one total quarterback pressure in 509 snaps across seven games so far this season. The fewest total pressures allowed by any offensive lineman over a season in which they started the majority of games has been four, recorded by four different players—three of them centers. Nobody has managed that since the 2007 season, and Unger is on pace to surrender half as many as the record. Obviously one bad game could blow this record immediately out of the water, but so far, Unger’s performance has been exemplary." (PFF, who people have a lot of problems with but their stats are usually perfect)

Saints
Astros
Pelicans

PSN: The_SlayerSaint (PS4)
whodatworm23

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartica4Real wrote:
With or without Anthony I think it's safe to say it was a great trade won by us. Jimmy is more expensive, more injury prone, and Brees can throw to anyone but needs people to block for him. I feel like the only thing that hurt us with losing Jimmy was our red zone offense is worse, but we now have a center on pace for the least pressures given up (ever!!! people need to realize how amazing this is) to protect our elite QB and help open up our run game. As well as it causing Brees to go back to his old ways of spreading the ball around. I feel like as a whole we are undoubtedly better w/ Unger.

"What Max Unger is doing so far this season from a pass-blocking standpoint has been pretty impressive. He has allowed just one total quarterback pressure in 509 snaps across seven games so far this season. The fewest total pressures allowed by any offensive lineman over a season in which they started the majority of games has been four, recorded by four different players—three of them centers. Nobody has managed that since the 2007 season, and Unger is on pace to surrender half as many as the record. Obviously one bad game could blow this record immediately out of the water, but so far, Unger’s performance has been exemplary." (PFF, who people have a lot of problems with but their stats are usually perfect)

I'd tend to agree with you... Unger for Graham straight up is a win for us especially now that Unger has been extended. As far as Anthony I still believe he has the opportunity to be our starting Sam backer of the future and be a real good one at that. Switching positions is different for everyone and the learning curve is steeper than it is for others but once Anthony gets it he possesses all the physical tools to be a very good player.

Sure the Sam isn't utilized as often as others but I doubt the 3 safety set will be used as much next year once we cut Byrd. Also, yes Anthony was technically a 1st rounder (31st overall) but that's more like a glorified 2nd rounder. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Anthony and yes it's a disappointment he's clearly not our Mike of the future we all though he was but that does not mean he cannot impact this team at Sam... Scott Fugita won a Super Bowl with us and was a major contributor at the Sam in a very similar defensive scheme that Allen is running now.

WHODAT91FOREVER
Mid Iowa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Anthony doesn't pan out for us, he'll bring us a decent value via trade, whether it's a draft pick, or a player who's a better fit.

So, I miss Jimmy, but it's done and Unger is a GREAT trade and fit for us, and we gained another player of some sort. The brass actually got one right!! ....weird...
R.I.P. Will Smith #91
July 4 1981 - April 9 2016 ~a Saint 2004 - 2012 ~a Champion forever.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: