Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chargers @ Chiefs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead, the second KA went out, we went all shotgun, spread the Chiefs out and just ignored that we had completely worn the DL out in the first half and were averaging 7ypc on the ground. Pagano messed up in his own right and got soft, but its easy to get caught with you're pants down when the offense is going 3 and out almost every drive. I just don't understand, when you're dominating with a power run game, and get up big, thats NOT THE DAMN TIME TO TAKE YOU'RE FOOT OFF THE PEDAL. Thats when you keep giving the ball to Melvin Gordon and run it down their throats...not go shotgun and take Gordon out.

They simply don't trust Melvin, that is the only explanation I can come up with that makes any sense.

They traded up for Gordon to be a back who can carry the rock 280-300 times and be the centerpiece of your offense. Last year, Melvin wasn't that guy, but this year he looks like he can be that type of runner.

The only "good" thing about Keenan going down is that this is going to force them to commit to the run-first identity like Dallas did in 2014.
AlonzoHarris

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
i don't know that there's a team in the NFL that finds ways to lose more than this one. They somehow manage to rip defeat from the jaws victory regularly.

You'd think McCoy would have learned from Marty getting fired that going full conservative after you get lead doesn't keep you employed.

The Chargers case is unique. Many teams simply can't put together a competitive team, they are just plain bad in every season, they can't draft good players, can't sign good players through free agency.
That's not the case for the Chargers though, they aren't bad. Even when there's some glaring issues and weaknesses, they are never really bad, I mean Cleveland Browns bad.

And Philip Rivers must have an infinite amount of resolve to keep going every week, every season, after so many heartbreaking losses.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and re-watched the game, and my assessment of the change between the two halves offensively was pretty far off. They varied it more than I thought they did early in the game, and went with a lot of different looks throughout the game. There's a few calls that angered me (not going for in on 4th and 2 at the 40 when we still had a 2 score lead, running 2 tunnel screens in a row to Benjamin on the last offensive series). But outside of that, it wasn't the worst called game. The chiefs really grew up and played like we thought they would, they stopped the run with Poe/Howard/Bailey/DJ and even their CB's came up and made some stops. I think we still tried to spread the ball out a little too much, but thats more nitpicky since we did it a ton in the first half and it worked.

Overall, I think the Cheifs made some huge plays (TD pass to Maclin was unstoppable, even Verrett just threw his hands up and said....well), and then just capitalized on our miscues and defensive liabilities (covering backs and TE's is going to haunt us all season long). We just didn't execute good enough to close the game out. Bosa coming back is going to help this team a LOT. There was a lot of pressures where nobody could get off a block and get to the QB. That's where Bosa is at his best.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
ArrowheadRage58

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
i don't know that there's a team in the NFL that finds ways to lose more than this one. They somehow manage to rip defeat from the jaws victory regularly.

You'd think McCoy would have learned from Marty getting fired that going full conservative after you get lead doesn't keep you employed.

so im hearing complaints both ways...mccoy was too conservative and fhat you didnt run the ball enough. It really was neither. KC just took it.

Your Denver hatred is borderline pathological. I don't think my girlfriend cheating on me would cause me as much hate as you have for Denver.
game3525

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

so im hearing complaints both ways...mccoy was too conservative and fhat you didnt run the ball enough. It really was neither. KC just took it.

KC played well and rose to the occasion, but SD laid down and that is a fact. You don't make comebacks with just one team flipping the script, both teams have to play a role in a collapse like this.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArrowheadRage58 wrote:
MrDrew wrote:

It's rather easy to "just take it" when the defense gives you the flats uncontested. The entire 4th quarter the Chargers spent in prevent (never rushed more than 4 the entire quarter).

It was neither with the Chiefs just taking it and it was just McCoy going full turtle-mode... it was a combination of all of it. McCoy and his conservative gameplan opened the door and gave KC opportunities and the Chiefs didn't squander them.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that frustrates me most was the backs were just coming out and making the catch uncontested. Our lb's weren't anywhere near in position to contest the catch. Whether that was play calling or a talent deficiency I don't know but it was just frustrating to watch Alex Smith carve us up, without evening taking shots down the field.
Zappaz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
The thing that frustrates me most was the backs were just coming out and making the catch uncontested. Our lb's weren't anywhere near in position to contest the catch. Whether that was play calling or a talent deficiency I don't know but it was just frustrating to watch Alex Smith carve us up, without evening taking shots down the field.

Yeah the dink and dunk was getting on my nerves so bad. Everyone knew exactly what was going to happen... except McCoy and Pagano...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCoy is terrible at making adjustments during games and reacting/reading the opposing team's adjustments.

That said, any team with an athletic receiving TE and a RB with good hands are going to destroy the Chargers D. That's nothing new.

One missed FG and a bad punt at the worse possible times were key plays also. I think good teams take special care with the special teams, even if the fans will always underrate their importance.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and forth for more than two hours with a guy on Twitter following the game where he was trying to defend Pagano and his job and that Pagano could still make a good HC.

I pointed to one thing. There is not a single year under Pagano as the DC (or even realistically since he wholesale took over the LB coaching gig) that the defense (and that includes ST's because it's by and large more defensive depth players out there on return coverage units than not) has tackled at even an average level. It is the simplest quality control thing to address on a defense and in 11 years with any kind of influence on the staff he hasn't done a damn thing to positively affect change here. At some point, even if he's just a symptom, reality has to set in that he's doing more harm than good because complacency enables an inability to grow.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: