Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner would be holding out too

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner would be holding out too Reply with quote

If they were picked by the Chargers and the Chargers gave them offers like what they are giving Bosa
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner would be holding out too Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
If they were picked by the Chargers and the Chargers gave them offers like what they are giving Bosa

I'm very much filled in on the ins and out of the situation, but I'll let you go ahead and explain it, because I'm curious if you actually do or you're just passing blame without adequate knowledge of what's going on.

Neither side is completely blameless in this. I don't think Bosa is the one steering this holdout - that's Tom Condon, who, as we already know, has a crap relationship with Ed McGuire and the Chargers and an ego to boot (which was probably already dealt a hit when Gates told him to just "get the deal done" earlier this year). McGuire is trying to get the most sensible deal for the team, but there has to be a predetermined path to compromise (even if that's not disclose to the parties that you're negotiating with from the outset).

Bosa doesn't have leverage right now, so he's not in a position to be saying "give me everything I'm asking for or no deal," which is the Tom Condon Special. Tunsil and Buckner's agents are Jimmy Sexton and Joel Segal respectively, not Tom Condon, so there's really no way to defensibly make the statement that they would be holding out right now.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner would be holding out too Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:

I'm very much filled in on the ins and out of the situation, but I'll let you go ahead and explain it, because I'm curious if you actually do or you're just passing blame without adequate knowledge of what's going on.

Neither side is completely blameless in this. I don't think Bosa is the one steering this holdout - that's Tom Condon, who, as we already know, has a crap relationship with Ed McGuire and the Chargers and an ego to boot (which was probably already dealt a hit when Gates told him to just "get the deal done" earlier this year). McGuire is trying to get the most sensible deal for the team, but there has to be a predetermined path to compromise (even if that's not disclose to the parties that you're negotiating with from the outset).

Bosa doesn't have leverage right now, so he's not in a position to be saying "give me everything I'm asking for or no deal," which is the Tom Condon Special. Tunsil and Buckner's agents are Jimmy Sexton and Joel Segal respectively, not Tom Condon, so there's really no way to defensibly make the statement that they would be holding out right now.

It is funny how many people have missed this important tidbit.

LT, Gates, Rivers, Merriman, they have all had holdouts and were represented by CAA(Condon's agency). His agency has been doing this sort of thing for years. The Patriots, who are the gold-standard in terms of running an efficient organization, had a streak of years in which they didn't even bother drafting or signing free agents signed with Condon, because of the nonsense he pulled during the Watson holdout.

This entire thing is really just a recruitment ploy by CAA for next year's draft prospects. This isn't about Bosa's financial well-being or him standing up for player rights etc. Just a ploy by a really ambitious agency.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner would be holding out too Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:

The way the run defense played last night, it gave Bosa some leverage
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner would be holding out too Reply with quote

game3525 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:

LT, Gates, Rivers, Merriman, they have all had holdouts and were represented by CAA(Condon's agency). His agency has been doing this sort of thing for years. The Patriots, who are the gold-standard in terms of running an efficient organization, had a streak of years in which they didn't even bother drafting or signing free agents signed with Condon, because of the nonsense he pulled during the Watson holdout.

This entire thing is really just a recruitment ploy by CAA for next year's draft prospects. This isn't about Bosa's financial well-being or him standing up for player rights etc. Just a ploy by a really ambitious agency.

Wasn't Jammer a CAA client too? That was the longest holdout (VJax aside) that I remember - went into Week 2 of the regular season.

Funny part is, two Condon clients (one former, one current) in LT and Gates have basically called on Bosa to realize that he's now at a point where his leverage is negligible, so just man up, make some concessions and get your butt into camp. No one believes that he's going to re-enter the draft next season because the likelihood is he would go lower than 3rd overall and even with average annual inflation in the NFL would end up making less money on his deal next year than he'd stand to make on the deal this year... and be one year further away from his big money 2nd contract.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
game3525

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner would be holding out too Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
game3525 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:

Wasn't Jammer a CAA client too? That was the longest holdout (VJax aside) that I remember - went into Week 2 of the regular season.

Funny part is, two Condon clients (one former, one current) in LT and Gates have basically called on Bosa to realize that he's now at a point where his leverage is negligible, so just man up, make some concessions and get your butt into camp. No one believes that he's going to re-enter the draft next season because the likelihood is he would go lower than 3rd overall and even with average annual inflation in the NFL would end up making less money on his deal next year than he'd stand to make on the deal this year... and be one year further away from his big money 2nd contract.

Jammer might have been CAA as well, but I am not 100% sure on that.

And yeah, there is very little chance Bosa sits out the year and re-enters the draft. The entire point of leaving after your junior season is to get a year closer to the 2nd contract, sitting out would undermine that on top of losing a ton of money since he won't go top 5 next year.

Usually, I am all for sticking it to the Spanos family.....but this holdout is really stupid.
Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Tunsil, Ramsey, and Buckner would be holding out too Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
The LBC wrote:
chargerbuckeye wrote:

The way the run defense played last night, it gave Bosa some leverage

Not really on the bolded part. The starters only played one series and they held the Titans to a field goal. The worry doesn't really start until the third preseason when most of the starters are playing for a longer duration. And even then, it doesn't become an issue until the games actually matter starting in September. Bosa has less leverage because the longer he waits, the more he is behind the eight ball and the more chance he has of getting injured due to not being in football shape.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: