You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

State of the San Diego Chargers

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braylon4MVP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: State of the San Diego Chargers Reply with quote

Hey guys, Iím starting a personal project and I have a few questions for the members of each teamís forum. Please donít feel like Iím asking you to answer all of these questions.. Any input any of you guys have, in any way, would be GREATLY appreciated. Iím essentially trying to gain as much knowledge as I can about each individual teamís schemes and players. Here are some guideline questions that I would love feedback on, but any type of info you have would be awesome.

Offense:
-What kind of offense do you run?
-What kind of blocking scheme?
-Does your offense run through a specific skill player?
-Are you expecting significant changes from last yearís offense?

Defense:
-What kind of defense do you run?
-Are you heavy into man or zone coverage? Do your DBs press often?
-Are you a defense that places high value on pressuring the quarterback?
-When facing a superstar (Julio Jones, Antonio Brown. Gronk, etc) do you generally say ďmake the rest of the offense beat usĒ or ďheís going to get his anyway, let him get his, he wonít single Ėhandidly defeat usĒ?
-Are you expecting significant changes from last yearís defense?

Player Specific:
Most productive offensive player?
Defensive player with greatest impact?
Breakout offensive player?
Breakout defensive player?

Please donít feel like Iím asking for huge in depth answers! I would love them and greatly appreciate them, but any contribution you guys are willing to make would be awesome! As well as obviously greatly helping me, I feel this could be a nice topic for conversation to spark activity during the forumís greatest down time. Thank you!

John Frusciante FTW
Red Hot Chili Peppers FTW
Duffman57

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the San Diego Chargers Reply with quote

Braylon4MVP wrote:
Hey guys, Iím starting a personal project and I have a few questions for the members of each teamís forum. Please donít feel like Iím asking you to answer all of these questions.. Any input any of you guys have, in any way, would be GREATLY appreciated. Iím essentially trying to gain as much knowledge as I can about each individual teamís schemes and players. Here are some guideline questions that I would love feedback on, but any type of info you have would be awesome.

Offense:
-What kind of offense do you run?
-What kind of blocking scheme?
-Does your offense run through a specific skill player?
-Are you expecting significant changes from last yearís offense?

Defense:
-What kind of defense do you run?
-Are you heavy into man or zone coverage? Do your DBs press often?
-Are you a defense that places high value on pressuring the quarterback?
-When facing a superstar (Julio Jones, Antonio Brown. Gronk, etc) do you generally say ďmake the rest of the offense beat usĒ or ďheís going to get his anyway, let him get his, he wonít single Ėhandidly defeat usĒ?
-Are you expecting significant changes from last yearís defense?

Player Specific:
Most productive offensive player?
Defensive player with greatest impact?
Breakout offensive player?
Breakout defensive player?

Please donít feel like Iím asking for huge in depth answers! I would love them and greatly appreciate them, but any contribution you guys are willing to make would be awesome! As well as obviously greatly helping me, I feel this could be a nice topic for conversation to spark activity during the forumís greatest down time. Thank you!

So a lot of these questions are going to be hard to answer with a shift in the coaching staff. But I'll try to go through and answer you're questions with either (or both) previous coaching trends and my projection as to what we will/want to do.

So our offense got a preview of what we want to be in '13 since we had whiz back then. WE'RE GOING TO RUN THE DAMN BALL. This is just going to happen. In '13 Ryan Mathews touched the ball over 60 more times than he did in any other season as a pro. Thats a TON (nearly 300 carries total meaning he got the ball almost 20 times a game). Not only that, but we brought over Jeff Davidson from the Vikings as our new OL coach. He was the Panthers OC (really the running game coordinator), back when McCoy served as the QB Coach/Passing game Coordinator back when they had a bigtime power run game, and drafted RB's in nearly back to back years. Now this preference is nothing new. Both these guys come from the John Fox "pound the ball" school of coaching. But we're going to do it in a smart way. Because we have Rivers here, there's definitely going to not only be some shots taken deep, but some real quick passing action that's going to be a nightmare for defenders. If everything works out the way we want it to, this team is going to be the best ball control offense in the league (and they're honestly not that far away with all the additions they made). But its all about health and the OL.

For OL scheme, its going to be interesting. Davidson has always kind of carried a weird mix and match of personal, and can use many different schemes to fit the style of player he has. For example, starting last year, he had one of the most mobile C's in the league in Sullivan, but when he went down, the replacement for him was big 6'5" 320lb Joe Berger, who is a converted OG. Now that's a huge shift, but Berger ended up being one of the leagues very best run blocking C's. He's going to want to do the same here. He runs a heavily variant scheme, that consists of a lot of zone, power/man, and pulling concepts to keep defenses honest. Looking at the talent available, this is a massive, powerful OL thats built to dominate and degrade opponents. Expect a lot of power and inside zone plays, just allowing these guys to get after the guy in front of them. This is legitimately one of the more talented (and physical) OL's in the league, but they've yet to show the ability to perform as a group, despite the individual flashes/previous performance. We'll see if Whiz/Davidson can unlock something that Reich/Joe D couldn't.

Everything in our offense runs through Rivers...obviously. We have given him a LOT of fluidity at the line to point out what he sees and change something. But everything this year is plain and simple going to be based off the OL and how they perform. As I said, this is a team thats built to be a ball controlling, clock dominating team, and if we can't run the ball, then that build goes away. With Rivers and a very solid receiving corps, thats not the end all be all, and thats why it ultimately runs through Rivers. As we saw last year, the injuries and decimation of the OL left us completely unable and/or unwilling to run the ball, but (until Allen went down), we were able to make that ground up by the "passing game of 1000 cuts". Slant, comebacks and tunnel screens until the defense rolled over and died worked very well for us last year after we couldn't establish a run game. So there isn't one player that we HAVE to have, but we're going to be in trouble if we lose Rivers.

I think I covered most of the specific changes. But this offense isn't built any differently this year, it just got built better. Average/mediocre starters becoming above average/great depth pieces, Influx of vereteran and rookie talent at areas where we lacked last year (mean interior presence at C with Slausen and a threatening WR to take the top off defenses in Benjamin). Thats basically it. Hoping we can stay healthy like we couldn't last year, but we're better preparred for it this year, with a lot of very good depth pieces IMO.

Onto the defense which, somehow, might be even longer than the offensive section.

On defense we're a 3-4 team, but its really only a 34 in name only, this is kind of a myth I want to debunk. We're not your old school Steelers/9ers 4T-0T-4T type of 3-4. Pagano is a Wade Phillips deciple, and runs things VERY similar to what Phillips does in Denver, which is an Over/Under 3-4. Our base generally includes a 1T NT, a 3T DT/"DE", a 5T/4T DE and two "Rush" type LB's with 2 ILB's that play uncovered more than not. Its extremely similar to Seattle's defense (though seattle does some weird things with their "3T" to where he really ends up playing a 2T and more of a NT, space eater role, as does KC). This allows for 1 gap players to be able to penetrate and make plays, not just hold blocks and allow your LB's to run off them and get into the backfield. But anyway, this defense added a LOT of talent this year. Bosa is a great fit for that Justin Smith/Michael Bennett 5T type role, where he can use his great length and functional strength as well as his insane ability to stack and shed blocks with ease to be able to control the OT that he's up against, and either force a double team, or make the play himself. IMO its the best role he could've hoped to play in the NFL. Mebane is going to play the same role as he did in Seattle. A slanted, 1 gapping NT, who has he ability to shoot gaps, but his power and strength to hold the point is what's really going to make his career here. He's lost a bit of the gap shooting ability (though its still there, he's slowing down for sure), but the ability to play low, and play with power makes him a nightmare to go against, and that slanted 1T role is a nightmare for C's trying to block him.

Our secondary is what has made this team defense work for a while now, and now that the Front 7 is (or is about to be) caught up, its going to make their job a LOT easier. We went small with our DB's, against the trend of the NFL who all wanted these big, athletic corners and its worked out beautifully. Flowers, when at his best is a potential top 5-10 Corner (and showed it the year before last), and Verrett was out to prove last year that he's a top 5 corner in this game. Flowers was awful last year, but he's reportedly re-committed and looks eye-catchingly good in camp this year. But these aren't press guys. We run a lot of both man and zone, specifically running schemes where Verrett is manned up, while everyone else plays a zone around him. This DB group excels at reading plays and breaking on whats in front of them, making plays on the ball. Not at all a press type group, but we do play a decent amount of press bail where they line up in press coverage, but instead of pressing they transition into either deep 1/3rd or man coverage on the WR.

When we face a star, we tended to let Verrett have at him, but give him some failsafes (see that coverage I was talking about before where Verrett played Man and everyone else played zone). Verrett absolutely destroyed Brown, and it wasn't because of Vick playing QB, Brown just wasn't available that game at all because Verrett was molesting him at every break.

Not really any changes in the defense in terms of how its run, but how its executed is going to be VERY different IMO.

Players:

The most productive offensive player is probably going to be Rivers obviously, but Gates, Allen and potentially even Melvin Gordon if they run the ball as much as I think they are, aren't exactly all that far behind him, especially Gates/Allen. Specifically Allen who was close to leading the league in rec. yards and on pace for a 1600+ yard season when he went down 8 weeks into the season. Allen can absolutely take over a game and make people look foolish.

We'll have to see about the defensive player. Right now its Verrett and really its not that close, but it could easily be Bosa, but as of right now, he hasn't played a snap. I'm expecting HUGE things out of him though. Not necessarily in terms of sacks, but as a guy who can both play with power, but also shed and make tackles, and we've been missing a guy who can win 1 on 1 matchups and demand extra attention on the DL for a long time. He can be that guy, and the impact that a DE has on the game would outweigh that of a shutdown CB.

The Breakout offensive player is probably Melvin Gordon. But there's a few other guys that I could probably see here. It depends on what you want by breakout. Woodhead/Allen etc have already broken out, but they're going to continue to put up big numbers in smaller number of snaps. But the two other guys I wouldn't sleep on are Hunter Henry and Stevie Johnson. We LOVED running 2 TE sets because we love the ability to use the TE's to block, so Henry is going to be on the field a LOT and is an extremely reliable target when he is on the field. That also means that he's going to be one of the primary beneficiaries of Benjamins ability to threaten the safeties, and take them away from the middle of the field. Stevie is going to have a similar benefit from Benjamin's but with shorter slant and crossing routs in the space that Benjamin creates.

Breakout defensive guy is hard too. You could say Bosa, but is he really a "breakout" when he has huge expectations and was the top position player in the draft? Not really. Flowers has already broken out, and is just looking to "come back" to his old self. Perryman broke out last year, but if we shows that he can do THAT for a full season.....oh boy....look out. Same goes for Ingram. The itneresting one could be Te'o. He's a guy who's been on the cusp of making plays and being a very reliable player, and with Bosa and Mebane taking care of the trash in front of him, that could be the final catalyst he needs to REALLY get going. The darkhorse here could be Jatavis Brown. There's huge hype around him, and he's the WILB/SS hybrid that has a LOT of potential, and some of the best combo of athleticism and tape i've seen, just from a smaller school. I think this kid is going to be GOOD. The question is just 1, where to play him, and 2 how much he plays this early as a rookie 5th rounder.

Hope that's in depth enough for you. If not....then you seriously need help. THe kind of help I already seriously need... Laughing

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Zappaz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I was going to post the exact thing, but since you got this covered I'll save my time Wink

Good write up Duff.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Los Angeles Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: