Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2016 Draft Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oregon Ducks

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit worried about scheme fit, TBH.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:

LBC and I have discussed this a TON. All signs point to the 4-3 Under (or some variation of it, the Wade Phillips 3-4 Under/Over D is similar), where he'll be playing that Michael Bennett/Malik Jackson type role, where he's a 5-7 T in base formations depending on the offensive alignment, and will kick in to a 3T/4iT to rush the passer most of the time. Every single one of our defensive picks and signings point towards that as our defense next year, Including McCoil (and I'm presuming Jatavis Brown) as that box SS type guy. We're going to be using Bosa far less as a true 4T and he's going to be more of a 5T out who kicks inside on pass rush situations, which is going to be a heavy percentage of the time given that we're in either dime or nickle packages most of the game now-a-days.

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:

For Bosa? I'm really not. He'll be going against ROT's... which he's incredibly used to. And (I'll have to see if I can get Eric Galko to get me the specific stat because it's from Optimum Scouting's draft guide that I didn't order this year, but someone pointed out something from it to me) statistically, Bosa got pressure on over 40% of his pass-rushing attempts where he was double-teamed last season; the next closest was ~ 14%.

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon Ducks wrote:

JJ Watt as a 4-3 DE In college. He plays in a 3-4.

JJ Watt is so good, that he is his own scheme. JJ Watt is a game wrecker. I'm not saying Joey Bosa is JJ Watt, but I am saying that Bosa has a solid chance at being a game wrecker. If the chargers didn't think there was a place for Joey Bosa in our defense, they wouldn't have drafted him.
Bolts223

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chargerbuckeye wrote:
Oregon Ducks wrote:

JJ Watt as a 4-3 DE In college. He plays in a 3-4.

JJ Watt is so good, that he is his own scheme. JJ Watt is a game wrecker. I'm not saying Joey Bosa is JJ Watt, but I am saying that Bosa has a solid chance at being a game wrecker. If the chargers didn't think there was a place for Joey Bosa in our defense, they wouldn't have drafted him.

Yes but whenever and NFL team makes a first round pick they obviously have some plan to fit them into their system. That doesn't mean that it works 100% of the time.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that caught Telesco's comments after day 2 of the draft where he said something along the lines of "there's starters out there tomorrow and we have to find them", and then he went on to pick a FB and a Punter....? I have a feeling he made those comments just to be a smug little bastard on Saturday knowing he was going to get 2 starters out of the draft since they're basically not going to even be competing with anyone...Laughing Laughing

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw a blurb today on the TV that Bosa is the first time we've spent a top ten pick on a front 7 defender since Seau. That's elite company and if what I've read is true that he is going to be a DE in our system then I'm fine with it.

Standing up I'd be worried about him making it but with a hand in the ground I think he's solid.

Overall I'm excited about the draft. 2 day 1 starters isn't a bad haul and the other picks I'm expecting to compete for playing time.
chargerbuckeye

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the guard from MSU We drafted didn't allow a sack on Connor Cook this year. I hope he protects rivers as well as he protected cook.
Highboltage55

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an article ( I forget where, I think it was NFLNation over @ ESPN) where it mentioned Corey Liuget is currently down 17 lbs (he was listed at 315 last season), and is going to finish his degree @ Illinois.

He said he want's to get "down" to 290 lbs! I think with the recent additions of Bosa and Mebane we will be running a true 4-3 Under / 3-4 if you want to call it that. We play Nickel / Sub Packages 70% of the time-but for the other "30" or so percent we should be used to seeing similar fronts that Seattle, Jax, and Atlanta currently use.

Liege slimming down should make him a better fit as a true 3 Tech who can one-gap, instead of playing as a 5/4i Tech and controlling two gaps. I don't see us playing Bosa or Liuget as "True" 5 Techs ( Richard Seymour and Tye Warren for example, with Wilfork in the middle) with Mebane as a " 0 ". I think Bosa is the SSDE , Mebane the 1 Tech, Liuget is 3Tech, and Jerry or Melvin as the Weakside DE. I think Jerry is better at stopping the run overall, but Ingram plays better in space / standing up.

That new linebacker / safety prospect will most likely be an in the box player who can be a Strong Safety or Dimebacker.
Duffman57

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just signed Vi Teofilo after his workout....I would've drafted the guy in the 6th round, maybe even the 5th, thats right around the grade I had on him, and my guy Duke Manyweather on twitter liked him a lot too. I think he has a legit chance to make this roster over Donovan Clark among a few others.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36
Page 36 of 36

Jump to: