Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

An underratted but totally appreciated Garrett move

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: An underratted but totally appreciated Garrett move Reply with quote

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/8/22/6056951/ahmad-dixon-learns-a-valuable-lesson-about-being-a-professional

Quote:
Dixon made a mistake that landed him in Jason Garrett's doghouse. The rookie arrived late for the team's Friday morning walk-through and was banished from the practice field by Garrett. As a result, Ahmad Dixon would not participate in the game with the Ravens.

Following his "banishment" and the meeting in Garrett's office, where the head coach did all the talking, Dixon emerged with a change in his attitude.

"Iíve got to learn how to be a pro. Thatís it. I said it time and time again. Iíve got to surround myself with those kind of guys in order to understand what it takes. As long as youíre around those guys, you will start picking up on their behaviors and how they operate." - Ahmad Dixon

The message that Jason Garrett sent last Friday appears to have gotten through loud and clear; the same Ahmad Dixon who had arrived late for the 8 AM walk-through is now making it a practice to arrive at least 45 minutes early for the 7:30 AM meetings. The rookie is learning about self-discipline and the consequences of not having it.

These are the types of things that restore faith in Garrett. For all his short comings as a game day coach - he is pretty excellent in all the other requirements.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: An underratted but totally appreciated Garrett move Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
These are the types of things that restore faith in Garrett. For all his short comings as a game day coach - he is pretty excellent in all the other requirements.

That he is.

^^^Deadpulse
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish there was a way to justify hanging on to the guy should Dallas fall on their face again. Maybe Jerry will turn over GM duties to him.

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: An underratted but totally appreciated Garrett move Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2014/8/22/6056951/ahmad-dixon-learns-a-valuable-lesson-about-being-a-professional

Quote:
Dixon made a mistake that landed him in Jason Garrett's doghouse. The rookie arrived late for the team's Friday morning walk-through and was banished from the practice field by Garrett. As a result, Ahmad Dixon would not participate in the game with the Ravens.

Following his "banishment" and the meeting in Garrett's office, where the head coach did all the talking, Dixon emerged with a change in his attitude.

"Iíve got to learn how to be a pro. Thatís it. I said it time and time again. Iíve got to surround myself with those kind of guys in order to understand what it takes. As long as youíre around those guys, you will start picking up on their behaviors and how they operate." - Ahmad Dixon

The message that Jason Garrett sent last Friday appears to have gotten through loud and clear; the same Ahmad Dixon who had arrived late for the 8 AM walk-through is now making it a practice to arrive at least 45 minutes early for the 7:30 AM meetings. The rookie is learning about self-discipline and the consequences of not having it.

It's kinda comical that we have a HC who does everything well except for coaching aspect of being a HC.

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WizardHawk wrote:
Wish there was a way to justify hanging on to the guy should Dallas fall on their face again. Maybe Jerry will turn over GM duties to him.

I like Redball. I do. But without a winning season there really isn't any justification to give him an extension.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: An underratted but totally appreciated Garrett move Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Quote:

It's kinda comical that we have a HC who does everything well except for coaching aspect of being a HC.

meh, he is just inexperienced with making choices in the heat of the moment.
Northland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: An underratted but totally appreciated Garrett move Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

That he is.

It's those shortcomings that have us all shaking our heads and will lead to the end of his tenure as HC in Dallas if he doesn't get better at game day/in game adjustments.

As far as this incident with Dixon it's the right thing to do. I would wager that Garrett is not a screamer. Kinda like when we all did something to disappoint our fathers and they let us know how disappointed they were. Just a certain tone in their voice that let you know you really screwed up. Dixon sounds like a player who is worth the effort. Passionate for the game. He made a mistake and I will wager he won't do it again.

Garrett does a lot of things very well. I just shake my head that after this time we are still questioning his game day decision.
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, in spite of the poor coaching decisions, I believe it would be benefical to this team to hang onto Garrett in spite of a possible bad season.

If not, he is only going to get picked up somewhere else, possibly as an asst coach, and in time get another shot at HC. In which case all of the shortcomings he had in Dallas will serve him in his 2nd chance and he will begin to be successful.

Rather than go thru all of that, just keep the guy here and let him learn from his mistakes and grow with the team. If he goes, then it's another whole new system, whole new coaching staff, the team has to buy into it, etc, etc etc. It is starting all over again.
htfryar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtnldave wrote:
You know, in spite of the poor coaching decisions, I believe it would be benefical to this team to hang onto Garrett in spite of a possible bad season.

If not, he is only going to get picked up somewhere else, possibly as an asst coach, and in time get another shot at HC. In which case all of the shortcomings he had in Dallas will serve him in his 2nd chance and he will begin to be successful.

Rather than go thru all of that, just keep the guy here and let him learn from his mistakes and grow with the team. If he goes, then it's another whole new system, whole new coaching staff, the team has to buy into it, etc, etc etc. It is starting all over again.

Agreed. Garrett is still relatively new to coaching. He was very inexperienced when he took over as the Head Coach, part of why I didn't want him to be given the job. Mistakes were expected and they have happened. There is no disputing his skill in every aspect other than game day stuff. If given the time, I'm confident that Garrett will be a successful NFL HC. I'd rather it be with us than with another team. With the youth movement we've undergone, I don't want us to start over with a new coach, schemes and philosophies. I think we already have the right coach in place, we just need to be patient.

The bottom line for me is that as long as the players still believe in Garrett and his "process" and play hard for him, we fans should give him the benefit of the doubt.

ďPoliticians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.Ē
cromagnum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garrett needs a miracle to survive after this season. Anything less then playoffs and he's gone. With this defense can't see that happening.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: An underratted but totally appreciated Garrett move Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:

Quote:

meh, he is just inexperienced with making choices in the heat of the moment.

nah, you can't say that after 3.5 years of being a HC. He's completely lost of the defensive side of the ball. He's been stripped of play calling of the offensive side of the ball. There have been times that Jerry trampled all over him. As far as kicking a rookie player off the field for showing up late goes, there are plenty of other coaches in the NFL who would have done the same thing... that doesn't make them good coaches. at a certain point, it has to translate on the field.

NoFlyZone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: An underratted but totally appreciated Garrett move Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
He's been stripped of play calling of the offensive side of the ball.

Only so he can better focus on all aspects of the game. He still has the ability to over ride any call in game and make his own.

^ made by CalhounLambeau
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Rtnldave wrote:

Agreed. Garrett is still relatively new to coaching. He was very inexperienced when he took over as the Head Coach, part of why I didn't want him to be given the job. Mistakes were expected and they have happened. There is no disputing his skill in every aspect other than game day stuff. If given the time, I'm confident that Garrett will be a successful NFL HC. I'd rather it be with us than with another team. With the youth movement we've undergone, I don't want us to start over with a new coach, schemes and philosophies. I think we already have the right coach in place, we just need to be patient.

The bottom line for me is that as long as the players still believe in Garrett and his "process" and play hard for him, we fans should give him the benefit of the doubt.

What process?

This organization changes it's mind on what direction it wants to go more than probably any team in the NFL.

Spending a ton of resources on man corners during one offseason, switching to the Tampa-2 the next season, and then demoting the guy you brought in to install that new defense the year after is proof enough that there is no true process.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: