Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Glenn Dorsey Agrees to a 2 Year 6 million Extension

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Glenn Dorsey Agrees to a 2 Year 6 million Extension Reply with quote

Quote:
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 31s
#49ers announced: Signed DL Glenn Dorsey to a 2-year contract extension.

Interesting, but I like it!

Edit: It is a two year 6 million extension.

Last edited by J-ALL-DAY on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:49 am; edited 2 times in total
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping a solid starting player instead of letting him hit the open market... and after an injury that likely keeps the cost down.. sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/501878706756141056

Quote:
#49ers next contract target: WR Michael Crabtree. There is progress. Hope is for a deal before the season. Otherwise shelved until after

-Not taking this off until the 49ers win #6
Gore Whore 21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:

Quote:
#49ers next contract target: WR Michael Crabtree. There is progress. Hope is for a deal before the season. Otherwise shelved until after

Thank god! We need to get this deal done.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Benjamin Franklin
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of meh on the deal, though I haven't seen all the financials. He played very well last year, but I just don't think that there was a need to do this now. With a serious injury, I doubt he would have been a "hot" commodity next year, and we probably could have re-signed him in the off season if we didn't like what we saw from Dial/Williams this year. If we did like what each of those two did, we could have let Dorsey and his slightly higher salary (based on time in the league over the other 2) walk. But I'm sure it's not a huge deal, so I hardly see it as being super impactful from a team perspective in regards to the cap.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
I'm sort of meh on the deal, though I haven't seen all the financials. He played very well last year, but I just don't think that there was a need to do this now. With a serious injury, I doubt he would have been a "hot" commodity next year, and we probably could have re-signed him in the off season if we didn't like what we saw from Dial/Williams this year. If we did like what each of those two did, we could have let Dorsey and his slightly higher salary (based on time in the league over the other 2) walk. But I'm sure it's not a huge deal, so I hardly see it as being super impactful from a team perspective in regards to the cap.

But the team also struck a deal with him when he had the least amount of leverage. What if he returns after week 10 and performs well? Then he could obviously get some attention around the league. I doubt we overpaid for him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

49ersfan wrote:

Quote:

Good stuff, but I doubt we get a deal done before the season. I kind of want Crabtree to not get an extension until after the season so he is even more motivated. However, if he does have a great year, his price tag will go up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Forge wrote:

But the team also struck a deal with him when he had the least amount of leverage. What if he returns after week 10 and performs well? Then he could obviously get some attention around the league. I doubt we overpaid for him.

That's assuming he plays at all this year. We only get the one mid year IR designation, right? I'm assuming that will be spent on Bowman. From what I understand, no decision has been made on Dorsey playing yet this year. So it's really two fold...what if he plays this year and plays great after week 10? What if he doesn't play at all? What if he plays but Dial and Williams have been fantastic all year and significantly limits the number of snaps he takes, which is already fairly limited as is in our defense?

I don't hate the deal, but it doesn't do much for me either.

Two in harmony surpasses one in perfection - P3
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowman was placed on the PUP list, so we don't need the IR designation tag on him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dorsey was really good for us last year so I'm glad to see him re-signed. I have no idea how much the deal amounted to but our front office has been pretty darn good with the contract stuff. So I'm assuming it was a good deal for us.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
Bowman was placed on the PUP list, so we don't need the IR designation tag on him.

This - Bowman can return any time after Week 6 because he's on the PUP list, which is for anyone injured before training camp. IR designated for return is for 1 player injured after training camp, and means they can return after Week 12. Last year Crabtree was on the PUP. Moody was our IR designated for return.

So Dorsey is currently the best option to return at a later date.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 22nd All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #21, Ricky Watters: 29
*Yards needed to enter Top 20: 354
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is for two years six million.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
So it is for two years six million.

Is that it? Not bad for a really good NT. Got any idea of what he made last year and is scheduled to make this year?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jay Hurley (@Jay_AB81) tweeted at 7:42 AM on Wed, Aug 20, 2014:
Dorsey's cap number rises by only $691,666 in 2014, with $500K gtd in his $2,3M base salary

He made about 2.2 million last year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this move. The guy showed he can get the job inside, and has the versatility to play end .

Walter Redskins on the sig.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: