Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Time to name a Starter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
I keep hearing that Monday night showed us nothing.

I think it made the decision to name Hoyer the starter incredibly easy.

They both sucked, but Johnny just looks totally lost, as to be expected given this is the first time he is learning a legit offense, and it's a hard one to learn for anyone, especially in a few weeks time.

Just name him the starter already and let's get ready for Pittsburgh.

I definitely agree that the best thing to do longterm is to get Johnny playing time, but not sure how advantageous playing time will be when he is completely lost.

Let's put him in the instant the staff feels he is "ready", meaning he knows the damn playbook well enough to execute some plays. Until then let Hoyer play himself out of the position.

The rookie looked like a rookie and the 6 year vet looked worse than the rookie. That doesn't bug you? Give me the upside
duke2056

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeHDruiD wrote:
duke2056 wrote:

They both sucked, but Johnny just looks totally lost, as to be expected given this is the first time he is learning a legit offense, and it's a hard one to learn for anyone, especially in a few weeks time.

I definitely agree that the best thing to do longterm is to get Johnny playing time, but not sure how advantageous playing time will be when he is completely lost.

Let's put him in the instant the staff feels he is "ready", meaning he knows the damn playbook well enough to execute some plays. Until then let Hoyer play himself out of the position.

The rookie looked like a rookie and the 6 year vet looked worse than the rookie. That doesn't bug you? Give me the upside

Would kinda destroy the "make him earn it" mentality, but I wouldnt argue of they name him the starter.

I prefer Hoyer to be named the starter and start the season. If he sucks, you play Johnny. We should know real soon how things are gonna go, and unless Hoyer plays really well, nobody is gonna blast the coaches for making a switch, even if Johnny sucks it up.

Not that I care about "what people think" or whatever, but I think Hoyer gives us the best chance to win right now, and Johnny could benefit from a little more time studying up on the playbook and film.

I realize playing is the best thing, but right now Johnny isn't NFL ready. He just isn't. I feel like it is too risky for his personal health as well as the WRs on our team that he is going to get killed cause he doesnt read the safety who is about to destroy them.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
Onizuka

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, the way I look at is the reason why they wont name a starter at this moment is because they probably have mixed feelings on both QBs...I mean at the start of camp it was "Hoyer is the starter, he hasn't done anything to lose his job"....but now its Manziel wont be named the starter because he isn't 'ready'. I don't like that as the reason why Hoyer would be the starter.

I think if they truly believe Manziel is to be the future of this franchise, they need to do everything they can to prepare him and build confidence in him. IMO the best way is to give him all the reps and do what most coaches do when they start a rookie QB.....rely on the run/defense more until the QB feels more comfortable with running the offense and recognizing defenses.

But either way....I'm with most on here, I'd prefer they name the starter and let them get all the reps in preparation for the season.....I just want an exciting offense and not to see our defense play incredible only to be worn out by the 3rd quarter bc our offense cant stay on the field.
TeHDruiD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand where you're coming from duke and I get it. I don't disagree, but my issue more than anything is it's obvious that Hoyer hurries himself when people get around his knee, which is something that plagues every QB who recently tore their ACL and are making the comeback

My argument in the end is Hoyer thinking about his knee is going to take a long time for him to erase from his memory. Until then, we're going to continue to see the inaccurate throws and the worst inaccurate throws of them all (high throws which lead to INTs)

So my belief, and maybe I'm 100% wrong in my ACL thinking on this one, is Hoyer throwing off of his back foot and panicking when traffic gets around his knee does more harm to us than just letting Johnny learn as he goes. A mentally healthy Hoyer is a pretty good QB, but mentally he's not there because that knee is going to linger in his mind for a long time
bruceb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the beat goes on:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/browns-not-ready-name-starting-205607541--nfl.html

This is making Pettine look bad.

Maybe he's channeling Goodell?
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
And the beat goes on:

I actually think it makes him appear smart. His job is to field the best team possible, if he needs more information to do his job accurately he should try to get that information.

One could say that he aided in the fact that neither QB is ready but if we remove that, I think he is handling this right.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Rotoworld-

Quote:
Browns named Brian Hoyer their Week 1 starter.
Wed, Aug 20 2014 8:18 AM
Bonanza23

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
And the beat goes on:

How's it make him look bad? Neither wants to take the reigns Confused

IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK TO FINALLY GET A REAL QB? (Last line not directed at you bruce)

Thanks to ReggieCamp on the sig
buno67

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruceb wrote:
And the beat goes on:

I dont think it makes or made him look bad. QB is the toughest position and it can cost a lot of people their jobs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:

So if he was totally lost and STILL was as good as Hoyer, doesn't that give you optimism that the better he gets with the playbook, he'll distance himself from Hoyer? Hoyer on the other hand...ain't really gonna get any better.

This is really an EASY EASY choice...Hoyer is NOT the future, he has played just as poorly, there is ZERO reason to go with him. Johnny has upside, better talent, and will only improve with the playbook.

In reality you couldn't have expected much better than this from Manziel considering the circumstances...learning a playbook, alternating reps, being a rookie, little supporting cast...he was pretty decent his first game, but got worse his 2nd game along with the circumstances.

So if this really was a competition, then Manziel has clearly won, imo. He will only get better.

People just seem to be mad because the chiefs are all of a sudden doing what their fans thought they were capable of

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: