Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Preseason Game #1 Steelers @ Giants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dcash4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
- Dri Archer looked pretty lost on his punt returns, he couldn't seem to get the first guy to miss on any of his returns.

I get the feeling we are going to see Antonio returning punts during the season.

I cant say this for sure, but they seemed to have a stop light system with him last year - basically, telling him when to just fair catch, and when to actually go ahead and return if he could. I think they would do a similar thing to limit his hits on extra plays.

Dont really want to put Brown out there, but i think he is fantastic at returning punts, and at this point, is the only one i would trust to catch the ball.

Need to see more from Archer, Justin Brown, and possibly Bryant before anyone other than AB fields a punt in an actual game.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigben07MVP wrote:
Notes for Game 1:

- If Howard Jones continues this play, he could easily steal Chris Carter's spot on the roster.

- Sean Spence was the best defensive player on our side. His speed was clear, looked great on a few blitzes, and made stops on the run. He really impressed me, especially on the first 3 and out against the Giants starters. Saw him line up outside the tackles on a few plays, possible Worilds replacement?

- Dri Archer looked pretty lost on his punt returns, he couldn't seem to get the first guy to miss on any of his returns.

agreed thoroughly on the first 2 points, 3rd point, that was all about coverage. He couldn't make a first guy miss when he has 3 or 4 in his face and no options. Our coverage stinks to high heck

bigben07MVP wrote:
- Starting O-line was getting some great push in the run game. Everyone was sticking to their blocks. The right side of our line (Pouncey-Decastro-Gilbert) will be nice to run behind this year if they stay healthy. Decastro was almost 15 yards up field on Archer's big screen play.

- McCullers has the potential to be a stud against the run. I know he was against 3rd stringers but on one play, he held the guard off with one hand and tackled the running back with the other. I haven't seen anything like that since Hampton/Aaron Smith. (Not saying he's the next Hampton, just pointing out his most impressive play)

- Like others have said, Adams wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. imo he was the best player on the 2nd team O-line.

- Shamarko Thomas has a fiestyness to his play that is refreshing. Dude is fast and can HIT. Thinking of a Mike Mitchell/Shamarko Thomas safety tandem in the future is pretty scary.

- #74 on the O-line sucked, whoever it was.

McCullers' ceiling is sky high if we can develop him.
Adams went up against the NYG 1st stringers a good bit and did better than expected
Shark was arguably our 2nd best player on defense
#74 is Chris Hubbard, our backup LG that game. A lot of the blame for Adams that people have been spouting off about probably needed to be directed toward Hubbard, as he was downright bad.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Im not sure about Bryant looking "wretched". Granted, I didnt get to watch the game closely or see every play he was involved in, but I didnt see anything I would classify as "wretched".

drops and fumbles.

i'm still paranoid about him being Martavis Sweed. I admit this, so I'm sensitive.

I need a cookie.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good with Bryant this game:
1. He drew two penalties, one for a serious chunk of yardage. Both were terribly thrown passes despite the commentator claiming that he should still have been able to make the plays. I don't see it.

Bad:
1. Everything else. Jittery or what? He looked a little tentative, to be honest.

I'm going to reserve judgement on him until he plays snaps with a real QB. There's only one of those on the roster.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
BenderRodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God! Why can't we find a competent punter?

Quote:
LE'VEON BELL TRACKER
2041 Total Yds; 1278 yds rushing 7td's; 763 yds receiving 3tds

Now Doing Sigs>http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=18973664#18973664
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wager that Wing's primary task in the game was to punt the ball so coverage teams could do their job. He was going for hang time.

He has a strong leg and great hang time. He screwed up the one kick. The issue with him is his massive ego for a punter. Part of that is he likes to get fancy. Coaches don't like punters who make ripples.
"Roger Goodell, who’s a crook and a puppet, said I was the dirtiest player in the league. If that man was on fire and I had to [urinate on him] to put him out, I wouldn’t do it. I hate him and will never respect him.”~James Harrison
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wager that Wing's primary task in the game was to punt the ball so coverage teams could do their job. He was going for hang time.

He has a strong leg and great hang time. He screwed up the one kick. The issue with him is his massive ego for a punter. Part of that is he likes to get fancy. Coaches don't like punters who make ripples.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: