Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Coach's Prediction of our Offense (scheme wise)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: The Coach's Prediction of our Offense (scheme wise) Reply with quote

I'm not overly fond of how all of this will fit together offensively.

And as I understand it, Scott Linehan is -not- redesigning this offensive scheme. He will simply altr the philosophical tones and adjust playcalling. This can be both a positive and a negative.

THere was a three year stint, way back in '02-'05, when i frst met Dirk and Plan9 on the official DC.com forum when I was the admin there, where offensively I relied heavily upon an offensive assistant to help call my plays and formations. The idea was, I was losing grip on the discipline and condition drilling in an effort to put in extra time studying my own offesive playbook and scripting our first few series (in high school coaching, Bill Walsh's mentality of scripting the first few series' still rings true). So letting the assistant handle that part for me, actually made me a much more effecient teacher of the game and a better manager overall - that experience made me a better coach over the long run. And I think it could have a similar effect for Garrett, who could take over OC duties again in the future just as I eventually did.

Point here is this: Linehan's mentality and direction is an isolation heavy run game out of often 3 and 4 wide sets. He uses a second tight end often as a flexible slot/LoS/FB motioning option. But, our offense is designed primarily around a wideangle run game, with a three wide-one tight base set.

If you combine the philosophies of both coaches and mesh together their usual history of gameplanning, I can see it breaking down like this:

Escobar is a perfect split option tight end to pair with Witten who fits best on the line. If Cole, Dwight or the other young receivers don't explode in camp, it's very fesible that Escobar finds a good role as a motion tight end who can create mismatches.This fits Linehan's ideal mathup-oriented playcalling, while also fitting Garrett's semi-spread formation and attack mentality. Bryant and Williams out wide. Escobar and Witten on the line with Escobar motioning to either slot to open up a good matchup on the seam, where both coaches prefer to use their tight ends - deep on the seam.

Lance Dunbar's speed to the edge fits Garrett's preference for wide angle/stretch runs. But does not fit Linehan's preference for isolation runs. He could easily become a very important third down back in the mold of Jacquizz Rodgers, making big plays outside and in the passing game when sticking with Garrett's base ideal - but Murray and Randle can both handle isolation runs behind an improved push and slip blocking scheme. This should create better opportunities in a run game that figures to feature more ground work behind a run first playcaller.

Receiver wise, Linehan has always been known for short timing patters that create quick separation and require a fast release from the QB. Romo is one of the best at getting the ball out quickly, having been timed on his release faster than some of the all time greats in a column written by Cris Collinsworth. If Linehan calls more short timing passes, Romo can rely on the tackle breaking abilities of Bryant of and Witten on swift passes for first downs. However, Garrett prefers to deploy a two up, two down progression offense.

If you combine both of these philosophies, you get a much more 'classic' style west coast offense, with two targets (Bryant and Williams) working deep and medium, with Witten and Escobar/BeasleyDwight/Whoever working shallow under the zones. This should, technically, lead to far more third and medium playcalls that provide Romo with actual chain moving plays - as opposed to using third and medium as a chance to go deep to the endzone and hence walk back to the sideline.

If both coaches can agree to blend their styles in formation and playcall selection, without completely altering the base offensive scheme, we should see an offense that has a much better third down conversion rate, two tight ends that top 40 catches, and two running backs that top 600 rushing yards or more.

I can see why Jerry jones is anxious and excited for our offense this year. But it will rely solely on how well Linehan and Garrett see eye to eye on some major clashes in philosophy. If they can agree to use the best features of each style, that is how special things happen.

I expect a higher 3rd down completion/conversion rate, an improved run game that does not feature a singl 1000 yard rusher, a lower-stat year for Bryant, but a bigger all around year for the passing game.

Like Jerry, I'm excited too. I don't think the defense will help us much, and I think we could score, 40, 47 points in some games and still lose by 10 or 13, just like this past year. But if this offense is going to improve how I think, it -just- might be enough for a 7, 8 or 9 win season. If the clash in mentalities doesn't blend well however, don't be surprised if we look at a 3, 4 or 5 win season.

A lot of people think this season will ride on Romo. But I don't. Romo is a small part of a system like this, relying on timing and progression and much less playmaking and gunslinging. Also, I fear he won't play 16 games. And feel strongly that Weeden, while not as good a player, is a better -fit- for thisblend in philosophy than Romo. He might not put up the stats, but if he has to take over...don't be surprised if we still win some games on our offense and its new direction alone.

Again, dependant entirely on how well Linehan and Garrett teamwork and blend together.

Yes just like every coach, I do think I know everything.

Read the Football FAQ!
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This team needs to run, and use play action all day every day to have a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to see us run a little more as well but my fear is that the defense is going to give up points at an alarming rate and our offense will be forced to throw the ball just to keep us in games.
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2014/08/issues-in-oxnard-balancing-offense.html

Kiltman on avy n' sig
George Selvie Fan Club

Last edited by WizardHawk on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
cowboyfanin2890

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This offense can dominate and still lose games for us by not having any "Ball control" in the game plan. If the offense has the ball control in the game plan it will help our D by just keeping them fresher. If we play run and shoot football we will lose more than we win, if we play a pass offense with ball control in the plan we will lose more than we win. These things are up to JG and Linehan and our success will hinge on 2 people I do not trust in game management.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: