Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patrick Peterson signs 5 year extension(70 million total)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redforman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Patrick Peterson is a good corner, he does some things really great, but I still view him as overrated and with that, extremely overpaid. Ridiculous contract for a guy who isn't even a top 3 corner.
Nihc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballProdiG wrote:
If he can play like he did his rookie season then I will definitely respect this deal. I need to see him making more plays than he did last year. I want more return TDs as well. At least 2-3 for the year. He got paid like the best, and now is his year to prove it and end the debating with Sherman on Twitter.

They're taking him off offense and special teams.

2014 Adopt-a-Patriot - Dominique Easley
Tackles: 0 | Sacks: 0 | QB Hits: 0 | TFL: 0 | Fumble Recoveries: 0
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clubmember wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
Overpaying will only get worse when the new TV money kicks in.

You realize teams are likely not overpaying at all... It just looks like it. I'll bet in terms of percentage of the cap, its been steady for a long time. More cap space means more money throw around, but in a way the same commitment as less money 10 years ago.

This... and players and their agents don't come into a negotiation saying, "Well, my client is only in the Top 5 at his position, not Top 3 so he should only be paid in the former range, not as much as the later." If a player is considered among his peers and the front offices around the league to be among the top, young players at his respective position (yes, those are two very subjective qualifiers, but that's kind of the point, too), he's likely going to get paid close to a Top 3 at his position contract just because that's the benchmark set; the rare exceptions are when players do give hometown discounts. Extensions also tend to be a bit more lucrative (or at least appear so on paper) than outright free agent deals because teams are able to work the figures over an extra year or two because of what's remaining on the rookie deal.

Take for example guys like Cameron Jordan and Muhammad Wilkerson. Neither are the player that JJ Watt is (which is no slight on either of them, rather just a testament to how boss Watt is); heck they're not even the same player one another is (at least until we see another season of production, Wilkerson should be firmly ranked above Jordan). And yet, particularly if Watt gets his extension before the other two do, both those guys are going to get contracts that aren't much less in value than Watt's will be; JJ's probably going to get best defensive player in the league money (which will open a whole new can of worms with guys like Revis whose egos demand they be the highest-paid defender in the league), but both Jordan and Wilkerson's contracts will likely blow Haloti Ngata money out of the water.

wackywabbit wrote:
Playing center for the Chargers is like teaching DADA at Hogwarts.
11sanchez11

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redforman wrote:
I think Patrick Peterson is a good corner, he does some things really great, but I still view him as overrated and with that, extremely overpaid. Ridiculous contract for a guy who isn't even a top 3 corner.
It doesn't kick in for two more years.

El ramster on the sig
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing keeping PP from being elite are those times when he looks terrible (which isn't often). The great ones also struggle to but they never look really bad. I think taking him off offense/ST will certainly help with concentration and durability. I think he's had over 150 touches on offense/ST's in his three seasons.

The Rebuild Has Begun...
imani

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how he called Sherman 'Salty', lol. Patrick may be making a couple mil more on his contract (guaranteed), but Sherman is undoubtedly more financially set with his marketability in commercials and advertising. That little sparkly thing on his finger doesn't hurt either, I'm sure.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: