Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers sign WR Jordy Nelson to 4-year, $39M extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I guess I don't get all the praise here. I mean, sure, it's a pretty good deal -- but Jordy, IMO, is a top 8-12 type WR. And he just signed an extension that puts him at an average of $9.75m/year, which in years of yearly averages, puts him 8th in the league at the WR position.

I mean, sure, he may have been able to get a bit more on the open market -- but at $9.75m per, I guess I don't see it as being a large discount by any means. In fact, I think it's pretty fair. It puts him right behind Brandon Marshall and right there with Andre Johnson, and slightly ahead of Victor Cruz. I think that's just about right spot for him, personally. The guaranteed portion I could see being a steal, but for a 4 year deal for a player his age and production, I guess I don't see that as being a big deal either way -- IMO, he's likely to play it out.

Contracts signed this year are supposed to be significantly higher than contracts signed in previous years because of the rising cap. If you see the 8th best player sign a deal with the 8th highest AAV, that is by definition a great deal. You would typically expect an AAV approximate to the 4th or so best player. Maybe even higher due to the rapidly rising cap that is projected to occur in the next several seasons.
Kampman74

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Thompson is obviously a great GM, but I always laugh when people try to act like a GM did something really special when signing a certain player.

Jordy probably knew he couldve gotten more money if he hit the open market, and decided to take less to stay there with a great franchise and the best QB in the league.

Im not saying Thompson doesnt deserve any credit, but please stop acting like he made some genius signing here. He did his job, but its not like it was his "genius" that made Jordy sign for cheaper.

I would build TWO statues of Ted Thompson. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
Kal-El wrote:
Very happy about this. Had both Jordy and (AJ) Green in fantasy last season and their production was just about identical before A-Rod went down. This extension is well-deserved.

No one gives a crap about your fantasy team bro.

I do...

#FireTomlin #FireHaley #FireLeBeau #FireColbert
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
I guess I don't get all the praise here. I mean, sure, it's a pretty good deal -- but Jordy, IMO, is a top 8-12 type WR. And he just signed an extension that puts him at an average of $9.75m/year, which in years of yearly averages, puts him 8th in the league at the WR position.

I mean, sure, he may have been able to get a bit more on the open market -- but at $9.75m per, I guess I don't see it as being a large discount by any means. In fact, I think it's pretty fair. It puts him right behind Brandon Marshall and right there with Andre Johnson, and slightly ahead of Victor Cruz. I think that's just about right spot for him, personally. The guaranteed portion I could see being a steal, but for a 4 year deal for a player his age and production, I guess I don't see that as being a big deal either way -- IMO, he's likely to play it out.

Contracts signed this year are supposed to be significantly higher than contracts signed in previous years because of the rising cap. If you see the 8th best player sign a deal with the 8th highest AAV, that is by definition a great deal. You would typically expect an AAV approximate to the 4th or so best player. Maybe even higher due to the rapidly rising cap that is projected to occur in the next several seasons.

Generally I would agree, which is why I said it's a good deal -- I just don't get what seems to be a ton of hooplah as if they got him for a real bargain. I think he may have taken about $1m less/per than he'd have seen on the open market, but I don't get the idea that he somehow passed up something big for a great team benefit. Maybe I'm just reading too much into the reactions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a freakin' steal... 14m guaranteed is insane....

Brandin Cooks - 53 receptions, 550 yards, 25 first downs, 3 TD - 7 rushes, 73 yards, 4 first downs, 1 TD
Corey White - 44 tackles, 2 INT, 1 sack, 6 passes defended, 1 forced fumble, 1 fumble recovery
Stevein2012

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://screen.yahoo.com/sports-friends-jordys-nightmare-070000873.html

Glad Rodgers helped him remember how to catch.
Jakuvious

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal. And well-deserved.

I wouldn't praise Thompson much for this deal though. Listening to Jordy talk, he sounds a lot like Charles does about the contract. It's not about squeezing every penny out of the team for everyone. Team that you like, staff that you like, and it's still more than enough money, so why not make it quick and painless?

It's a good deal, but Packer fans can thank Jordy for that, not TT.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
41 catches, 542 yards, 4 TDs
Justin Hoover82

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great deal all around. Jordy gets paid, Packers dont' get killed on the cap. Rodgers stays happy, GB stays a contender which probably played a huge role in Jordy staying for a hometown discount. Cobb is up next yr right? If he breakouts huge this yr GB should be able to afford him as well.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow_junky wrote:
At 29 years old I don't think that's the best move for Jordy Nelson. He could have got a lot more on the open market in what will probably be his last career payday

It's not just about money to everyone. In this case I wish it was so he would have left the NFC North though. Laughing

Good for him. It's a bummer when he's having good games against the Lions but I always wish everyone the best. It's a violent game. It's always nice to see people get paid regardless of how crazy the contract is.
Jeezla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the same deal as Golden Tate. Packers got themselves a huge bargain.

Kilty Sig '15 Wish List: L Collins, D Perryman, D Greenberry, C Davis, T Coleman, H Kikaha, T Clemmings
Frank-O

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
Very Happy

Golden Tate is 25 years old whereas Jordy Nelson is 29 years old. Future/potential production and availability on the open market certainly have a huge impact on contracts. Nelson is at his peak whereas Tate likely hasn't reached it. If Nelson could hit the open market, I wouldnt doubt that he would receive Greg Jennings type money. I'd take Nelson over Jennings at this point.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Frank-O wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
Very Happy

Golden Tate is 25 years old whereas Jordy Nelson is 29 years old. Future/potential production and availability on the open market certainly have a huge impact on contracts. Nelson is at his peak whereas Tate likely hasn't reached it. If Nelson could hit the open market, I wouldnt doubt that he would receive Greg Jennings type money. I'd take Nelson over Jennings at this point.

FWIW, Nelson's game plays well at age if he stays health.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Frank-O wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
Very Happy

Nelson has been the better players since 2011. That's not even really debatable.

Also, Tate and Nelson's contracts aren't really that close. Sure, the guaranteed money is close but Nelson is set to make about 8.6 million per year the next 5 years while Tate is only at about 6.2 million per year for the next 5 years. If we are just looking "new money", Nelson's 9.75 per blows Tate's 6.2 per out of the water.

My point? The contracts really aren't that close. People have been trained now a days to just look at the guarantees but to discount the rest of the contract is just silly. Especially when we haven't even seen the break down for Jordy's yet.

Kempes on the custom sig!
marky mark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates on the contract:

Quote:
@RobDemovsky: Nelson's SB was indeed $11.5 million, which is the only guaranteed money in the deal.

Quote:
@RobDemovsky: Nelson's base salaries:
2014: $2 million
2015: $1.3M
2016: $5.,5M
2017: $8.25M
2018: $9.25M
Has bonuses up to $1M each year form '15-'18.

Quote:
@RavensInsider: Salary-cap figures for Jordy Nelson: $5.925M, $4.6M, $8.8M, $11.55M, $12.55M

Room for a Cobb extension.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: