Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Former Niners QB Alex Smith wants more $ than Jay Cutler
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrissooner49er

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoCalNiner wrote:
Chrissooner49er wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
big9erfan wrote:
SoCalNiner wrote:
What Alex did against the Colts in the playoffs was enough to win the game. In the NFCCG against the Giants, not so much.

Semantics, maybe? I think when someone says a QB won a game, but they put a lot of emphasis on the QB as in "HE won the game", they generally mean it was his effort, or largely his effort, that won the game. On the other hand when someone says a QB "played well enough for his team to win" it is generally implied that he did not play great but he did enough for his team to win barring unusual circumstances. It almost always means he could have done more, which is what you are saying. But at the same time it means he did enough to give his team a chance. He had a come-from-behind TD drive late in the 3rd quarter in which all but two of the yards were by the QB. A little while later when he might have had a chance to add to that lead came one of the muffs - and in a scoring position for NY. The he led another drive to tie the game in the 4th quarter in which most of the yards were from the QB. And we all know that after a few punts on both sides when we would have had a chance to pull out the OT win came the other muff, again in scoring position. He sure as heck could have done more, but without that first muff maybe they never regain the lead, and without the second we have a chance for the winning score instead of giving it to them. To me that's what the phrase "he played well enough for the team to win" means. It's easy to believe you disagree with that. It's actually hard to believe you find that position laughable.

You have now said twice he did enough "not to lose". But in a game that can't end in a tie, you are saying the exact same thing as "he played well enough to win". If you don't lose and you don't tie the only other possible outcome is you win. So to end this discussion I'll just assume you and I are saying the same thing differently.

When he "sure as heck could have done more", then he obviously did not do enough to win. I don't think he played well enough to win because he left a lot on the field that day, as did a lot of our players.

Laughing

Have you seen the movie "Frozen"? 'Cause you really should just "Let It Go", SoCal. Razz

Not that I care about your comment. However, if you had a problem with my comment earlier about people "missing" Alex, why say this? Or is it alright for you make comments like this one, and not ok for others? Ya know.....like a double standard.

I kind of wish Frozen came out when Alex was traded because I could have sang "For the First Time in Forever"

Ha-ha, touché. However, I like the timing of the movie release as is.

Laughing
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they pay him the money. I doubt KC will though. Alex is a good QB but maybe I'd say $15M tops is what he gets. He still has his flaws. I don't see any team paying a game manager that kind of money.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
GeneralDissaray

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steadypimpin wrote:
I hope they pay him the money. I doubt KC will though. Alex is a good QB but maybe I'd say $15M tops is what he gets. He still has his flaws. I don't see any team paying a game manager that kind of money.

Anything Smith gets he should give Charles half. Guy is a pedestrian QB. Did he even throw the ball over 5 yards downfield last year. You could put Calvin Johnson on that team, and Smith couldn't get it to him.
steadypimpin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Anything Smith gets he should give Charles half. Guy is a pedestrian QB. Did he even throw the ball over 5 yards downfield last year. You could put Calvin Johnson on that team, and Smith couldn't get it to him.
yeah Charles WAS the offense last year. He had a ridiculous amount of yardage and I saw he was 36% of the team's offense.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig!
2011 & 2012 NFC West Champs!!!
Xbox: Steadypimpin49
"Keep choppin' wood"
FG21_PW52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Go away troll.
Miami49er

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FG21_PW52 wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Go away troll.
why is a fan who is bashing Alex Smith's play as a CHIEF last year, trolling the Niners? it's not like he's deliberately being a troll. a lot of people seem to agree with that assessment.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miami49er wrote:
FG21_PW52 wrote:
GeneralDissaray wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

Go away troll.
why is a fan who is bashing Alex Smith's play as a CHIEF last year, trolling the Niners? it's not like he's deliberately being a troll. a lot of people seem to agree with that assessment.

Seriously? Probably the most polarizing player to have ever been discussed in the Niners forum? You know, the threads that probably single-handedly banned more people than any other threads in here combined? The guy that had to be prefaced in this thread by saying, "This is not about Alex Smith himself. This is about what it might mean to Kaepernick and his deal." That guy? Who cares which team he's on? There is still a lot of bad blood in here over that guy.

"Did he even throw the ball over 5 yards downfield last year." Not only is it trolling, it's criminally misinformed.
Gridirongreat#9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeneralDissaray wrote:
steadypimpin wrote:

So you are basically telling us you didnt watch him play last season. Not even the playoff game huh? Confused

DirtyJersey9er wrote:
I wish the friends of some girls I've talked to at bars/clubs were this bad at blocking.
J-ALL-DAY

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the playoff game Smith sure threw a few nice bombs, but overall his ball traveled less in the air from any other QB. That is just his style and I see why most aren't impressed with him. But Smith does some good things such as pre-snap reads and "clutch" play in the 4th quarter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
In the playoff game Smith sure threw a few nice bombs, but overall his ball traveled less in the air from any other QB. That is just his style and I see why most aren't impressed with him. But Smith does some good things such as pre-snap reads and "clutch" play in the 4th quarter.

Link?

At any rate, Alex's game is more of a classic WCO quarterback who distributes the ball quickly for intended YAC. Lord Mighty Andrew Luck had a whole 4 deep passes more than Smith last season (who played in one less game), and Alex's deep % was 9th best in the league vs Luck's 28th.. but no one feels a need to bash Lord Mighty Luck, now do they?

This forum may be lacking in activity these days, but there must be a better method than Alex as the topic to spice things up here. Sometimes, boring silence really is better than obstreperous conflict.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From PFF:

Quote:
Matt Ryan and Alex Smith are tied for the lowest average depth of target for QBs at 6.9

The most amazing stat was the game he threw five TDs, only 64 of the 287 yards came through the air Shocked. That has to be a record or at least right up there.

He did rank 9th among QBs in deep passes even though he attempted in the bottom tier. Maybe that changes next year? The OL will be worse though.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J-ALL-DAY wrote:
From PFF:

Quote:
Matt Ryan and Alex Smith are tied for the lowest average depth of target for QBs at 6.9

The most amazing stat was the game he threw five TDs, only 64 of the 287 yards came through the air Shocked. That has to be a record or at least right up there.

He did rank 9th among QBs in deep passes even though he attempted in the bottom tier. Maybe that changes next year? The OL will be worse though.

Matt Ryan was many people's "darling QBotF", so not sure that this is bad company Smith is in. Pretty sure I read that Smith had the 2nd most deep passes dropped also.. no shocker there, with the Chiefs among the top 5 in team drops. I wonder what happens to that stat, had 3 or 4 of those been caught. Or what happens if Smith ever gets a Julio Jones type of weapon..

Pretty sure that I won't care much, if KC does go to a more vertical attack. I don't play fantasy football, and actually prefer a chew-em-up, methodical approach for points (especially with their personnel). The underlined is quite amazing, but I'm not going to fault the QB for throwing well-timed screens and the RAC that follows from either great blocks or crap defensive tackles. If screens can get it done, then I'll take a dozen or more of those per game.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean if it was working, why change it? That stat more so shows just how pathetic the Raiders defense was as they were constantly allowing those screen plays to work.

In the 2nd half of the season, Smith started to go vertical much more and had a lot of success. The drops are a problem obviously, but they should mix in more of that for the entire season this year. I do worry about the OL though. It has gotten worse and a lot of it will ride on the development of Fisher.

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldman9er wrote:
This forum may be lacking in activity these days, but there must be a better method than Alex as the topic to spice things up here.

I agree. But then again, it's 4 separate people who decided to respond to and disagree with a Cowboys fan's opinion of the Chiefs quarterback. The forum lacks in activity, certainly - but there's a reason the other threads about actual 49ers have died. People stopped responding to those ones.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 39
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 767
oldman9er

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
oldman9er wrote:
This forum may be lacking in activity these days, but there must be a better method than Alex as the topic to spice things up here.

I agree. But then again, it's 4 separate people who decided to respond to and disagree with a Cowboys fan's opinion of the Chiefs quarterback. The forum lacks in activity, certainly - but there's a reason the other threads about actual 49ers have died. People stopped responding to those ones.

Why is a Cowboys fan coming over to a SF forum and hacking on the Chiefs QB in the first place anyway? (as if we need to wonder)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: