Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Velasco to Carolina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xLeBron

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Velasco to Carolina Reply with quote

First Cotch, now Fernando.

I was kinda hoping he came back, was a solid fill in.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/23/panthers-sign-center-fernando-velasco/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cody wallace should be good depth. velasco was fine when needed to fill in but the steelers oline needs to get solidified on the outside now.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for Velasco. Seems like a good dude and did a great job filling in.

Wish him well

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was decent last year, but there was no notable drop off from him to Cody Wallace. Thats why we resigned him and why they probably didnt even bother looking at Velasco.

And considering there were reports he butted heads with Munchack, there was not much chance of it happening either way. (pending that was true)
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
He was decent last year, but there was no notable drop off from him to Cody Wallace. Thats why we resigned him and why they probably didnt even bother looking at Velasco.

And considering there were reports he butted heads with Munchack, there was not much chance of it happening either way. (pending that was true)

Sorry but I thought that Cody Wallace was terrible. I hope he never has to see the freakin' field.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:

Hi Fourthreemafia:

I think that Velasco played much better than Wallace. The OL began to jell with him at Center and despite many early struggles, it didn't appear to be because he was the weak link.

I think that Wallace played better than most of us thought he would, but that doesn't mean he played better than Velasco. I think the resigning of Cody was due to his decent play, his being slightly cheaper and Velasco's injury/health/recovery timetable.

I think the Munchak thing was overblown. I remember reading that Velasco was quoted as actually liking and praising the hiring of Munchak despite their professional differences in Tennessee.

I would have loved to have him as an insurance policy, but I wish him the best. He seems like a really good guy and an underrated football player.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlaqOptic wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Sorry but I thought that Cody Wallace was terrible. I hope he never has to see the freakin' field.

How did he play terrible?

Even if you dont think he was as good as I thought he was, he definitely wasnt terrible.

Perhaps the late season progression of David DeCastro made him look better, but the worst I would possibly label him over the final month of the season was "adequate".
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:

I think that Velasco played much better than Wallace. The OL began to jell with him at Center and despite many early struggles, it didn't appear to be because he was the weak link.

I dont really agree with that.

I think Velasco got overrated.

Dont get me wrong, he played well, but I dont think he was anything special or irreplaceable at all.

And I dont think Velasco was the weak link at all. Until DeCastro and Beachum picked things up later in the year, I thought he was our best OLineman. Thats not saying much though since the first 8 weeks our so, our line was trash.

Quote:
I think that Wallace played better than most of us thought he would, but that doesn't mean he played better than Velasco. I think the resigning of Cody was due to his decent play, his being slightly cheaper and Velasco's injury/health/recovery timetable.

I didnt say he necessarily played better, but there wasnt a notable drop off either.

And yes, those definitely factored in...particularly the health....and the fact that they probably had plans to keep Pouncey and didn want an expensive backup center.

Still, while I may be overrated Wallace a bit, I think some of you really overrate Velasco.

Again, overall I like Velasco and he is a more talented player than Wallace, but speaking of Wallace after he took over for Velasco, I didnt see anything that made me go "oh god, we are screwed with Wallace/without Velasco".

Quote:
I think the Munchak thing was overblown. I remember reading that Velasco was quoted as actually liking and praising the hiring of Munchak despite their professional differences in Tennessee.

Maybe. I just heard stuff from Titans fans in terms of that being a reason why he was let go.

Quote:
I would have loved to have him as an insurance policy, but I wish him the best. He seems like a really good guy and an underrated football player.

Agreed.

I like him too...but I dont think he was as great as some of you guys do.

Like I said, our OLine improved as a whole later in the year, so perhaps he wouldve looked better had he been healthy the final 4-6 games.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Velasco and I wouldn't have minded seeing him getting resigned, however I don't think we "lost out" to Carolina here either. He was a formiddable fill in but was he really better than anyone else on the Oline? I don't believe he was. I don't think he's a starter, we have backups, we have some depth there. We had enough guys coming off injuries as it was.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: