Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Chiefs make Jamaal Charles 2nd-highest paid RB in the NFL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
That's not a jab at Peterson. Some people just don't value the RB position that highly.

Oh, I know...it's unfortunate that he's playing in this era. But, it'll come back around eventually. I'm one of those people that enjoy running and defense. Ping-Pong or Arena League-like football can get boring after awhile.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
game3525

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

domepatrol91 wrote:
disaacs wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Ha, Peterson doesn't even deserve Peterson money.

I was literally waiting (as I was reading this thread) for someone to take a jab at Peterson.

When he's 35 years old and still getting 1000 yds in a season, then you'll have to zip it, son. Peterson is worth Peterson money.

That's not a jab at Peterson. Some people just don't value the RB position that highly.

Yeah, it is no knock on AD whom is a top 5-7 RB of all-time. He just isn't worth the money he is making.
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Ha, Peterson doesn't even deserve Peterson money.

I was literally waiting (as I was reading this thread) for someone to take a jab at Peterson.

When he's 35 years old and still getting 1000 yds in a season, then you'll have to zip it, son. Peterson is worth Peterson money.
A jab? No RB is worth the money Peterson is getting. The position simply isn't valuable enough to team success for a RB to be paid that much.

Kempes on the custom sig!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They had to do it since the offense pretty much runs through him, and JC is certainly worth it RIGHT NOW....but I do think its a deal that might look pretty ugly in a couple years given the way RB decline....and its not like Charles is a model of health.

I wont knock this deal...but I agree with what others are saying. Running game is obviously important, but I would never want to pay a RB top money. The position is simply not worth putting huge money into.

But again, in this case, I dont think its a huge deal since he is the MVP of that offense. Just hope they dont foolishly pay Alex Smith top QB money.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the thought process, but I think in awhile, we'll say the same thing about the WRs, as there are very few elite players of those as well...they are on the verge of becoming a dime a dozen.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
I understand the thought process, but I think in awhile, we'll say the same thing about the WRs, as there are very few elite players of those as well...they are on the verge of becoming a dime a dozen.
WR is one of the deepest positions in the entire league. The wealth at the WR position throughout the league is only growing.

Jakuvious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm a big defender of the potential value of the RB position, but even I'd say there's only 5, AT MOST, RBs that I'd give much money too. And even then, while I do like this deal, I wouldn't have given Charles any more years than that. I think LT showed us, it doesn't really matter how good you are or how thorough your talents are as a RB, the decline can still hit suddenly and painfully.

Though man, looking back, it did not feel like LT's prime was that short at the time.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
24 catches, 307 yards, 3 TDs
disaacs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
disaacs wrote:
WR is one of the deepest positions in the entire league. The wealth at the WR position throughout the league is only growing.

Yes, which is why they'll become a dime a dozen and only the elite ones will still be there year after year (the guys like Megatron, AJ Green, and Andre Johnson). Teams will eventually just be able to plug in guys like Kendall Wright and Keenan Allen yearly...guys that aren't going to be elite, but productive enough to get by until someone else is found to replace them...call it the Packer method who replace their receivers on an almost every year basis. It'll happen again when they have to decide who they will keep Cobb or Nelson.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
disaacs wrote:

Yes, which is why they'll become a dime a dozen and only the elite ones will still be there year after year (the guys like Megatron, AJ Green, and Andre Johnson). Teams will eventually just be able to plug in guys like Kendall Wright and Keenan Allen yearly...guys that aren't going to be elite, but productive enough to get by until someone else is found to replace them...call it the Packer method who replace their receivers on an almost every year basis. It'll happen again when they have to decide who they will keep Cobb or Nelson.
Wright was a 1st round pick. Allen was a 3rd round pick. Almost all of the successful Packer WR's in recent history have been high round picks. Jennings, Cobb and Nelson were 2nd rounders. Jones was a 3rd rounder. You're acting like teams can just plug in a bunch of undrafted guys and they'll be ok.

Jakuvious

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketchup wrote:
disaacs wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
disaacs wrote:

Wright was a 1st round pick. Allen was a 3rd round pick. Almost all of the successful Packer WR's in recent history have been high round picks. Jennings, Cobb and Nelson were 2nd rounders. Jones was a 3rd rounder. You're acting like teams can just plug in a bunch of undrafted guys and they'll be ok.

In fairness though, we aren't talking draft status, we're talking whether or not guys are getting paid. Which I don't think he's offbase on at all. There's a definite perception with the Packers (and other teams, Saints, Broncos, Seahawks and Steelers, even) that it's better to move on from a WR than to pay them, unless they're a truly great player (hence why we see Denver likely paying Thomas, but not Decker.)

Sure, most of your guys were high(ish) draft picks, but the same can be said of quality RBs. Forgive me if I'm wrong on any of these, as I'm going off the top of my head, but Peterson was a first, McCoy a second, Lynch a first, Charles a third, Spiller a first, Gore I think was a second, Lacy was a first, etc.

I think the strategy with the two positions is similar. The success rate is high enough, and the talent pool is deep enough, that unless you have a Calvin/Fitz/Green or a Peterson/Charles/McCoy, it's easier to replace than to pay. It's also a position where it's often cheaper and more reliable to have two or three solid players, than one great one.

Adopt-a-Chief: Travis "Better Than Tony Moeaki" Kelce
24 catches, 307 yards, 3 TDs
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for him. He's been a stud the last couple years and a big reason why that team is successful on offense. He's exciting to watch and I'm glad they were able to extend him. I wish him the best.
Morkim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
They had to do it since the offense pretty much runs through him, and JC is certainly worth it RIGHT NOW....but I do think its a deal that might look pretty ugly in a couple years given the way RB decline....and its not like Charles is a model of health.

I wont knock this deal...but I agree with what others are saying. Running game is obviously important, but I would never want to pay a RB top money. The position is simply not worth putting huge money into.

But again, in this case, I dont think its a huge deal since he is the MVP of that offense. Just hope they dont foolishly pay Alex Smith top QB money.

I think the contract is still team friendly in 2 years, IE they can cut him for little loss after 29. But Jamaal not the model of health? He's about as durable as they come.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: