Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Knockin' on Valhalla's Door
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vike daddy

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former NFL players Christian Ballard and Gregory Westbrooks are suing the NFLPA union for not providing accurate information about the risk of head injuries. The lawsuit was filed Thursday in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri, with both claiming the NFL Players Association “withheld information from the players about the risks of head injuries.”

The former players are seeking medical monitoring and financial compensation for long-term chronic injuries, financial losses, expenses and intangible losses. It refers to the “pathological and debilitating effects of traumatic brain injuries (TBI) caused by concussive and sub-concussive impacts.”

Ballard, a defensive end in 2011 and 2012, left the Vikings last September. Coincidentally, he is being represented by the union in a grievance concerning about $240,000 in 2013 salary that he collected but the team is trying to recoup.

http://min.scout.com/2/1422381.html

Webmaster wrote:
Can we knock off all the nonsense and stick to football?
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sidney Rice stepped away from the NFL at age 27 today, but he said he wants to make sure Seattle knows he’s not going anywhere.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Apparently he didn't care too much about our organization. Of course, I think that'll be clearly evident if the Kluwe thing ever goes to trial, because I read somewhere (I don't really recall where) is that he was (speculatively, I believe, but do not know) one of the 2 well-known Vikings that Kluwe was referencing in his cryptic tweet last Friday.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vike daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidney Rice@sidneyrice

Gaffney Indians, South Carolina Gamecocks, Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks.. Played in front of the best fans my whole life #blessed.

finally mentioned us, thanks Sidney.

Webmaster wrote:
Virginia Viking

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vike daddy wrote:
Sidney Rice@sidneyrice

Gaffney Indians, South Carolina Gamecocks, Minnesota Vikings and Seattle Seahawks.. Played in front of the best fans my whole life #blessed.

finally mentioned us, thanks Sidney.

While Rice will always be thought of in the "what might have been" category...2009 was a tremendous receiving year with Favre throwing the strikes.
I am glad to see that he has been planning for his post-football life! It's sad when players are forced to retire young, due to injury, and they have no money left.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With both sides seeking a fresh start, Allen left with zero hard feelings but also with an urge to find a defense in which he could maximize his talents. As awful as the Bears defense was in 2013, allowing a franchise-record 6,313 yards, the Vikings were worse, allowing 49 more yards and two more points.

Allen was asked to rotate more often than he preferred. He questioned the Vikings' shift from a heavy Cover-2 system to one that mixed in more man coverage and used more Cover-4.

A once-vaunted run defense lost its teeth. And the defensive calls seemed to become less aggressive.

Under second-year coordinator Alan Williams, the Vikings blew leads in the final minute of five games on the way to a 5-10-1 slide.

"You start to question, 'Is this really the right way?' " Allen says. "It's not my job to question that, but it's human nature.

"My last few years in Minnesota, there were guys who weren't bought in. There were times when I wasn't bought in. I was telling guys, 'Listen, I'm not 100 percent into this.' And you have to dig deep to convince yourself to get back on board."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-jared-allen-fresh-start-spt-0727-20140727,0,2309458,full.story
TENINCH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
With both sides seeking a fresh start, Allen left with zero hard feelings but also with an urge to find a defense in which he could maximize his talents. As awful as the Bears defense was in 2013, allowing a franchise-record 6,313 yards, the Vikings were worse, allowing 49 more yards and two more points.

Allen was asked to rotate more often than he preferred. He questioned the Vikings' shift from a heavy Cover-2 system to one that mixed in more man coverage and used more Cover-4.

A once-vaunted run defense lost its teeth. And the defensive calls seemed to become less aggressive.

Under second-year coordinator Alan Williams, the Vikings blew leads in the final minute of five games on the way to a 5-10-1 slide.

"You start to question, 'Is this really the right way?' " Allen says. "It's not my job to question that, but it's human nature.

"My last few years in Minnesota, there were guys who weren't bought in. There were times when I wasn't bought in. I was telling guys, 'Listen, I'm not 100 percent into this.' And you have to dig deep to convince yourself to get back on board."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-jared-allen-fresh-start-spt-0727-20140727,0,2309458,full.story

Makes you wonder what he'd look like in Zimmer's defense if he still had a couple years on his contract. I'll feel bad for him if the Vikings finish with a better record.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I was watching "A Football Life: Cris Carter" tonight, and it got me to look up some of his career stats. A few things stood out for me.

1. I didn't realize how deadly the Moon-Carter combination was. In Moon's only two full seasons in Minnesota, Carter had 122 catches both seasons. He never had a season over 96 catches before or after that.

2. With how potent our offense was in 1998, I was shocked to see that Carter's 78 catches led the team. I thought we passed the ball a lot more...
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren Moon's time as a Viking was well before my time being a fan of the Vikings.

Why did we only keep him around for 3 years? Was there another QB we were trying to develop? New coaching staff? What was the deal?

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Klomp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
Warren Moon's time as a Viking was well before my time being a fan of the Vikings.

Why did we only keep him around for 3 years? Was there another QB we were trying to develop? New coaching staff? What was the deal?

That was at the very beginning of my Viking fandom, so I don't remember much either.

He missed half of his third season (1996) with a broken collarbone, and, according to Wikipedia, "the Vikings' starting quarterback job was given to Brad Johnson and Moon was released after he refused to take a $3.8 million pay cut to serve as Johnson's backup". Also, Moon was going to turn 41 during that season.
vike daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren Moon was a very exciting player to watch, one who very much pushed the ball downfield. but he was also an arrogant pr*ck who coaches and players had trouble with. always had a chip on his shoulder, and things were never good enough for him.

Webmaster wrote:
byuvike88

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting tie I found between Rhett Ellison and Kleinsasser, I was just looking through my old football card collection and found Kleinsasser's rookie card. He was at a mini camp but was wearing 85.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
2. With how potent our offense was in 1998, I was shocked to see that Carter's 78 catches led the team. I thought we passed the ball a lot more...

When you jump out to 14-0 and 21-0 leads all the time, you don't have to pass all that much.

And as far as Warren Moon goes, his was the actual first authentic Vikings' jersey I ever bought...it's got the NFL's 75th Anniversary patch on it and everything. I still have it (even though I can't fit it since I weigh about 50 lbs more than I did at that time).

Thx to Uncle Buck!
since72

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking about all the recycling of head coaches in the NFL, how few Vikings coaches have had head coaching jobs after their stint in Minnesota. I wonder if that means the Vikings have been hiring poor head coaches in general.

I wonder who Brad Childress ticked off. His wikipedia page (emphasis mine)...

Quote:
Brad "Childo" Childress (born June 27, 1956) is a former head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. He attended high school at the Marmion Academy in Aurora, Illinois.[1] Childress has worked for over thirty years as a coach for various college programs and NFL franchises. He is currently a "senior offensive assistant" (Janitor) for the Kansas City Chiefs.

Quote:
On January 6, 2006, Childress was hired to be the 8th head coach of the Minnesota Vikings. This choice was the result of an error and a short selection process. Former coach Mike Tice was informed that his contract would not be renewed shortly after the Vikings' last game of the 2005 season on December 31. Four candidates were interviewed by the Vikings: Childress, Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders, Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, and former Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrelland unfortunately, Childo was hired and proceeded to ruin the Vikings for the next 5 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Childress
disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It couldn't have been anyone here. I've never heard anyone call him Childo. It's clearly "Chilly" since he was that way personally as well as being a convenient shortening of his last name.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
It couldn't have been anyone here. I've never heard anyone call him Childo. It's clearly "Chilly" since he was that way personally as well as being a convenient shortening of his last name.

Major Brad was another name for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 13 of 19

Jump to: