Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Training Camp Battle - Starting S with Harry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will be the starter opposite of Hitman Harry?
Jamarca Sanford
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
Andrew Sendejo
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Mistral Raymond
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Robert Blanton
43%
 43%  [ 10 ]
Antone Exum
21%
 21%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 23

disaacs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Training Camp Battle - Starting S with Harry Reply with quote

Getting closer....

The Candidates:

Jamarca Sanford - 6th year out of Ole Miss

Andrew Sendejo - 4th year out of Rice

Mistral Raymond - 4th year out of South Florida

Robert Blanton - 3rd year out of Notre Dame

Antone Exum - Rookie out of Virginia Tech

Thx to Uncle Buck!
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted Blanton, but he appears to have a major weakness with downfield coverage. He makes up for this though with strong short-midfield coverage, along with solid tackling.

With that said, I think he's better than Sanford and will win the job, but I don't know if I can still fully trust him as a starting safety. Perhaps Antone Exum will be the potential longterm plan?

Not your typical Vikings anymore. (maybe I was wrong...)
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am leaning towards Andrew Sendejo as a box safety, but I wouldnt be surprised to see Blanton emerge.
DaCDiggity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Exumus Prime

Let The Zimmer Dynasty Begin
#TeddyisReady
Eric dunn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bet is that it comes down to either Sendejo or Coleman. Sanford has proven in his time here that he is a great ST player, but below average S. And i really cant say too much about Blanton because we havent seen much of him playing at safety, last year he played mostly in the slot. He could surprise, but im not gonna get my hopes up.

I think Exum is a player that could potentially see starts later in the season if the team is losing alot of games like last year. To get him some game experience, as well as get a look into what he could be in the future. But other than that, i think there is a slim chance Antone starts.

And lastly, i dont expect Mistral Raymond to even make the final roster.

#TEDDYTHEVIKING
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Klomp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: You have trumpeted that there will be competition at pretty much every position. Are there any camp battles you are particularly looking forward to?

A: I’m interested in seeing some of the guys that I didn’t see in the spring. At the safety position, [Andrew] Sendejo and [Jamarca] Sanford, I really don’t know much about them. That will be interesting, just to see where they are at and where they compare to other guys. And it will be interesting to see the young guys that we drafted and how they progress when we get the pads on. Football is a different game when you start playing with the pads instead of shorts. Some guys show up more, so the physicality part of the game will show up a lot, I believe, in the training camp part.

Q: What about the battles for the third cornerback spot and, as you mentioned, the other safety spot alongside Harrison Smith? What do you covet most in the secondary?

A: Consistency. They’re going to have to be mentally tough. They’re going to have to contest balls; we’re going to have to be closer in coverage than we have been. And then we’ve got to tackle. Typically, the worst defensive teams are the ones that tackle the worst. So we’re going to have to be good tacklers on the back end. I don’t think we’ll make a lot of mistakes mentally because we’re fairly simple in what we try to get accomplished, so I don’t worry much about that. But they do have to be in the right position, be able to tackle and contest balls.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/268373822.html
Freakout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blanton. He is the best cover guy out of the bunch and he can tackle.

Sanford is horrible in coverage and Sendejo is not much better. Both were way better fits in our old defense.

SS - Blanton / Coleman
FS - Smith / Exum

Raymond, Sanford, and Sendejo will fight for the 5th spot. Sanford would have it locked up strictly due to his special teams play but he is also more costly. Sendejo is a cheaper option as a special teams guy but back surgery is a tricky thing to bounce back from.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone explain what the difference between the FS and SS roles in a Zimmer style defense?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: