Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

49ers sign LT Joe Staley to a 2-year contract extension
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6m is added to the 2015 salary, not 2014. Many of the "cap casualties" you listed will already be off the book in 2015. The added money given to Staley will be entirely offset by the possible departure of Frank Gore.

I think the only way his 2014 cap hit could decrease is if we find out a signing bonus is involved, which I haven't heard anything about.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
The 6m is added to the 2015 salary, not 2014. Many of the "cap casualties" you listed will already be off the book in 2015. The added money given to Staley will be entirely offset by the possible departure of Frank Gore.

I think the only way his 2014 cap hit could decrease is if we find out a signing bonus is involved, which I haven't heard anything about.

I was talking about 2015 numbers, all according to this:

http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=49ers&Year=2015

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 39
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 767
rudyZ

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Right. There are a lot of contracts in there that can be manipulated in order to create cap space. Starting with Kap's. I actually thought 2014 was Justin's last contract year as well, so I'm a bit surprised. Maybe he takes a paycut to keep the team together, or maybe he retires after we win the Superbowl. Pretty safe to say we won't be big free agent players again next year.

RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking

1) RudyZ's Power Rankings Power Ranking
2) y2's pie Power Rankings (3.1416 rules!)
3) N4L's Poster Power Rankings
dan77733

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to letting a few UFA's leave, I can definitely see the team releasing the following players as well -

WR Anquan Boldin
K Phil Dawson
DE Justin Smith
DE Ray McDonald
OLB Ahmad Brooks
SS Antoine Bethea
SS Craig Dahl

Overall, the team would save over $22m in cap room for 2015 alone. I'm really hoping the young guys like Carradine, Lemonier, Jerod-Eddie and Ward have good to great seasons so if the team does release any of those players, the loss will be minimal at worse.
Swift21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rudyZ wrote:
y2lamanaki wrote:
rudyZ wrote:

Right. There are a lot of contracts in there that can be manipulated in order to create cap space. Starting with Kap's. I actually thought 2014 was Justin's last contract year as well, so I'm a bit surprised. Maybe he takes a paycut to keep the team together, or maybe he retires after we win the Superbowl. Pretty safe to say we won't be big free agent players again next year.

Justin Smith signing a 2 yr 11 million extension was him practically taking a paycut.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile

Last edited by Swift21 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Swift21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan77733 wrote:
In addition to letting a few UFA's leave, I can definitely see the team releasing the following players as well -

WR Anquan Boldin
K Phil Dawson
DE Justin Smith
DE Ray McDonald
OLB Ahmad Brooks
SS Antoine Bethea
SS Craig Dahl

Overall, the team would save over $22m in cap room for 2015 alone. I'm really hoping the young guys like Carradine, Lemonier, Jerod-Eddie and Ward have good to great seasons so if the team does release any of those players, the loss will be minimal at worse.

There is no way Baalke would put that much dead money on our cap.

Sig credit goes to IDOG_det
SoS wrote:
Pete is just an arrogant wanna-be Jim Harbaugh but he's just not as smart.
Smile
y2lamanaki

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift21 wrote:
dan77733 wrote:

WR Anquan Boldin
K Phil Dawson
DE Justin Smith
DE Ray McDonald
OLB Ahmad Brooks
SS Antoine Bethea
SS Craig Dahl

Especially since releasing Bethea and Boldin would be more trouble than it's worth. Each has more dead money than cap savings. Only way they won't be on the team is if they perform ridiculously awful.

Frank Gore Career Rushing List Tracker:

*Currently Ranked 21st All-Time
*Yards needed to pass #20, Warrick Dunn: 39
*Yards needed to enter Top 15: 767
SFrush

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swift21 wrote:
dan77733 wrote:

WR Anquan Boldin
K Phil Dawson
DE Justin Smith
DE Ray McDonald
OLB Ahmad Brooks
SS Antoine Bethea
SS Craig Dahl

Agreed.
dan77733

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y2lamanaki wrote:
Swift21 wrote:
dan77733 wrote:

WR Anquan Boldin
K Phil Dawson
DE Justin Smith
DE Ray McDonald
OLB Ahmad Brooks
SS Antoine Bethea
SS Craig Dahl

Especially since releasing Bethea and Boldin would be more trouble than it's worth. Each has more dead money than cap savings. Only way they won't be on the team is if they perform ridiculously awful.

The total dead money for 2015 would be around $16m so the team would still gain $6m in cap room. And that's only if they're released outright. Not sure what the rules are for releasing players as a June 1st cut but that's definitely a possibility.

Unless he matches 2013, Boldin will be gone after 2014 because it makes even less sense to keep him. The cap hit would be $3.636m while the savings would be $3.273m. Less than $400k difference. Compared to what his full salary would be for 2015 and the fact that releasing him after the 2015 season would be at an actual overall loss of $618k, I dont see him being a 49er in 2015 especially at his age and with us acquiring Stevie Johnson who'll hopefully emerge as an excellent number two opposite Crabtree.

Bethea is the one guy who's most likely NOT to get released unless he plays bad and declines badly. After 2015 though, he's as good as gone.

Releasing Brooks is 50/50 depending on how he plays in 2014 and how Lemonier progresses. After 2015 though, like Bethea, he's as good as gone.

Justin Smith would add $4.25m in cap room. He's still a stud but he's declined since getting injured in the Patriots game. Considering his age, I would be shocked if he's still a 49er in 2015 unless he signs an "extension".

McDonald would add over $3.4m in cap room while releasing him after the 2015 season would only add $1m in cap room. He'll either get a short term extension to lower his 2015 cap number or he'll be gone.

For Smith and McDonald, it's not just about how they play, if they stay healthy and their contracts, it's also about how our young guys play. If Jerod-Eddie plays better than he did last season, I think he'll make McDonald expendable plus he'll be due a contract extension as I wouldnt keep every old veteran while letting the younger guys walk. Carradine is the wildcard.

Releasing Dawson would add over $3m in cap room. I would be shocked if the team pays him over $4m for 2015.

Dahl sucks and isnt worth what he's scheduled to earn in 2015. I think he'll make the team for 2014 but get released come February.

On a related side note - while the over $16m in dead money would be high, you also have to realize that the team would be saving cap room in future years too. For 2016, we would add $12.1m in cap room...For 2017, we would add $13.8m in cap room. Over three years, the savings would be $47.9m while the total dead money would be under $17m. Saving over $30m over three years with an average of over $10m a year in huge.

We have several young players in their mid 20's who I believe need to be re-signed after 2014 as well as guys who are in their late 20's who also need to be re-signed after 2014. Can't keep allowing young guys to leave when they should easily be retained over the 30+ years old veterans.

In the end, this is just my own personal opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Francisco 49ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: