Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

R&P Training Camp Preview: Offense

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: R&P Training Camp Preview: Offense Reply with quote

In a 2 part series, I will evaluate the offensive and defensive/Special teams units with a small break down and grade of starter/depth combination. And remember, I'm being brutally honest and not Buc-Homer biased.

OFFENSE:

QB:
Depth: Josh McCown/Mike Glennon/Mike Kafka/Alex Tanney
- This to me, is a huge question mark heading into the season under first year Offensive Coordinator Jeff Tedford. McCown, last year, showed some ability in back up duty going 3-2 in his opportunity with 13 TDs to 1 INT and 3 games over 300 yards. I'll admit, the most impressive outing was against the Rams defense going 352 and 2TDs to 1 INT. But the rest of his outings, going back to the film, he got away with some balls that should have been picked. Especially dallas because it was a laughable MNF performance that their DBs had McCown's poor decisions in their hands that they flat dropped. Anyways, McCown enters Training Camp as the starter and from what it seems, they don't plan on having this as a battle with Mike Glennon. The most recent mini camp, mandatory mini camp, according to the folks at wdae 620 in the morning, McCown took all of the 1st team snaps at QB. If that's not an indication, than I don't know what is. Glennon, coming off a medicore rookie season at BEST, will be the back up, unless McCown bombs out and Glennon flat outperforms him in TC and Preseason, which isn't out of the question judging by McCown's history. Glennon led the worst scoring offense in the NFL despite having a defense that ranked in the top 5 in forced TOs. That showed his inabilty to capitlize in moments given the opportunity. Digging deeper, Mike Glennon was the worst QB in the nfl against pressure, one of the worst in accuracy and efficiancy in passes attempted between 10-30 yard range. One of the better QBs in 1-9 yard range and decent in the deep ball department. Many want to point to the offense and playcalling. That is understandable and I also thought Mike Glennon had no business starting in the NFL last year. But looking back at his college tape and reviewing the all 22 this year, he misses on many opportunities with the claimed minimal WR talent we had last year, which by the way, got open numerous occasions that Glennon missed. Maybe he can make strides in Tedford's offense? Maybe McCown can have that magic he somewhat displayed last year? In my opinion, we have two back up caliber QBs vying to be our starter. As fans, we are hoping they play above their talent level.But this is the position on offense and the team entirely, that I have the biggest question mark heading into TC and the season. Hopefully some good quality play in pre-season gives us some better hope for opening day.

Grade: D+

RB:

Depth: Martin/Sims/James/Rainey/Demps; FB: Lane/Pryor
- Here is a position that in my opinion, will be the strength of our offense and team, and best friend to McCown or Glennon. Martin had a tremendous rookie season, but didn't bode well to start his sophomore year even before his injury. This made me think that he was used too much. In comes Mike James, who can be a starter in this league, as the number two back. James showed excellent vision and was excellent between the tackles. He will get his touches behind Martin, in which I thought would have been a very good 2-back duo. In what turned out to be, L & L thought they needed to add another dimension to the RB position. Charles Sims is an explosive RB that adds a receiving threat out of the backfield and a threat to score every time he touches the football. That trio, in my opinion, gives us the best depth in the league at the position, when healthy of course. Rainey showed a couple impressive outings, but towards the end, you can see he's not really an effective back. Leonard, to me, impressed and outperformed with better strength, burst and vision down the stretch where Rainey struggled. He's probably a roster bubble player. Demps adds a dimension of speed, yes. But word out of mini camps and OTAs is he had trouble holding on to the football in non contact drills. FB wise, Lane offers a more physical presence while watching Pryor, is a better athlete. I can't say I'm too familiar with Lane's game, but it'll be interesting how often we utilize this position.

Grade: A+

[
b]WR/TE[/b]:
WR Depth: Jackson/Evans/Murphy/Owusu/Gettis/Herron/Sheppard/Page/Hawkins/Streeter/Dawson
TE: Jenkins/Wright/Myers/Stocker/Adams
- At WR, in my opinion, we are loaded with talent. Jackson is a top 10 WR in this league, despite lacking in the QB department to work with. He's unquestioned starter and should maintain #1 level for atleast another 2 years, hopefully. Behind him, you have your 1st round Pick in Evans, who is more of a Brandon Marshall Clone, which is even better because he can learn Jacksons' ability to route crisp routes and develop into that number 1 WR down the road. He's already made some noise with some outstanding highlight real catches in mini camps. These two are likely the starters come opening day. Behind them, there will be mass competition for roster spots and the 3rd WR spot. 5th round pick Robert Herron is intriguing, but he's also raw. He's a difficult WR to jam at the LOS. He's not only fast, but he's strong, wondering if we have our selves a Randall Cobb 2.0 version. However, it depends on how his camp plays out, as he still is a rookie who could take some time to adapt. He'll make the roster, but to say he'll begin as a key contributor as our 3rd WR is in question and raw to start the year. Louis Murphy is a solid player with excellent speed. He's more likely candidate. David Gettis may be the real sleeper here. I really liked the way he performed with the Panthers. Owusu is making noise again in mini camps. I thought an injury slowed down his progress last offseason, so if he stays healthy, he can factor in as well. Page and Sheppard are intriguing and both have talent. No doubt we upgraded in talent at WR, but as buc fans, we need to be patient with Evans and Herron. Both are excellent WRs and Evans has the ceiling as a top 10 WR or better. But he's still raw at 20-21 Years old coming off of two outstanding years of College football.

At TE, I think we have an excellent future duo in Jenkins and Wright. Wright has apparently added almost 15 LBS of muscle to his frame, weighing in at 235 in OTAs. His performances at OTAs, according to WDAE 620 radio shows, he's improved and was the most impressive TE. Jenkins has 1st round ability. He played in a limited offense that lacked quality QB play and more of a run first read option style of offense in Washington. Jenkins is big at 6'6 265-270 but is fast with a reported 4.5 40 yard dash. Heck of an athlete that completes the "Dunkaneers". Brandon Myers is a guy who had success in Oakland, but struggled last year in NYG. Maybe it was the offense there where they under-utilized the TE position. He didn't sign for a hefty deal and could be in a roster battle with Luke Stocker, as Myers isn't really a blocker. Stocker is a guy who I liked in 2011 coming out. He's been aggrevating because he cannot stay healthy. The reason he was kept is because he does have upside as a solid TE performer, as he posses very good blocking ability and a solid pass catching TE, again WHEN healthy. I think if he stays healthy, he can take over Myers and make him expendable when the roster decision comes for the final 53. I did hear when he was on the field in OTAs and Mini camp, he did make some nice catches and showed ability to get open.

Overall grade combined: B+ (Remember, basing this off talent, but young and inexperienced talent prevented an A)

Offensive Line:
DEPTH: T: Anthony Collins/Demar Dotson/Jace Daniels/Kevin Pamphile/Jason Foster
G/Carl Nicks/Patrick Omeha/Jamon meredith/Oneil Cousins/Kadeem Edwards
C/Eric Detriech-Smith/Josh Allen

- After the 2013 season, Love Smith and Jason Licht evaluated and decided to overhaul the offensive line. The only starters returning are Demar Dotson and Jamon Meredith from last year. Carl Nicks is the big question mark. With him at 80-85 % is pretty darn good. But turf toe/MRSA have been career enders to many players. There is a good chance we might shop for a G if he doesn't check out medically. Behind him, you have Patrick Omeha, who is intriguing and good fit for our ZBS. Kadeem Edwards is raw, but I see him as an effective starter down the road. This year, it may be tough to rely on him as a starter. Smith at Center, we have one of the best in the game and is an excellent fit at C and can play a little Guard too. Anthony Collins comes in grading out excellent in pass protection and would have been a starting LT in this league and deservingly so. I thought this was a steal because when he's started and been on the field, he was excellent. I think LT and RT and C, we're in excellent position. Meredith played well at G last year. With Nicks returning, we could have a good offensive line with solid depth. I think us as fans are under-estimating the OL. Most teams excel on late round picks and evaluations in this department, which is why I agreed with the decision not to reach on a G in round 3.

Grade: B- (only because Nicks questionable, could be higher).
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read through this a few times the last few days. Well done. That said;

I disagree with your assessment of our QBs. But only marginally. I agree that the position is a HUUUUUGE question mark. But I think you're cutting them short. Both McCown and Glennon are capable starters. What that means for team success is a question. But both have, recently (I think this is important), shown the ability to manage a game. And that seems to be more than you give either credit for. The Glennon debate is a rotting horse corpse at this point. No need to continue. But, overall I think we're a little better off than you're saying. My grade would bea solid C. No more, no less. Average is what it seems to me at this point.

I agree 100% with your assessment with our backfield. It's absolutely the deepest position, and shows the most promise going forward.

I also agree with your assessment of our WRs/TEs. I think we've got a damn fine group heading forward. And it also seems to be another strength.

I also disagree with your assessment of our oline. I think you're actually giving us too much credit. Collins, Dotson, and EDS are proven enough to feel comfortable moving forward. But the questions at both guard spots would be as bad as our question at QB if the positions were remotely comparable. Like I've said, I won't count Nicks until he's cleared and actually playing. That leaves... what, exactly? Meredith did play well last year. Sure. Kinda? And what of our other guard? We have no name that even stands out. Nothing. I know interior linemen are a dime a dozen in the league. Nobodies become great linemen every year. But I don't even know who we have that could even be that. I'd give us a C. We've got three legitimate starters. But two question marks.
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 points:

1. Define capable starter on this roster at QB? Do I agree Glennon got thrown into the fire before he was ready? Yes. Do I think he was worthy as a starter down the road? That's something I can't say "Yes" to and that goes back to the assessment as a college QB and nfl prospect. McCown, I have a hard time seeing as a capable starter when there was questions of him even being a capable back up at some points in his career where he couldn't beat out Caleb Hannie or Jason Campbell.

2. I think some are vastly under-estimating our O-line. Not many of the better offensive lines have 5 good starters. We have 3 very good ones. A top 15 LT in this league who might actually be better than what is graded out as a starter to get his opportunity. A top 5 RT, actaully better. And a top 5 Center. Meredith showed he's a solid G. Do we have a question mark at LG? Yes, if Nicks does not play. Remember, many of the better interior OL develop into quality starters. Patrick Omeha (or however you spell it) is a quality fit. We still have some trade options and we're in a new scheme that fits the style of our OL even better. If Nicks is healthy to 80-85%, our oline is even better than the b, b- grade. I honestly didn't think our OLINE was as bad last year when the rookie QB held onto the ball too long. I did agree that an overhall was needed though, looking at Age and salary.

I still think we have an opportunity for a move. Alex Boone, who was a UDFA by the way, is not going to be any happier given the fact the Niners just extended Staley til 2019 and he's younger and also deservingly of a deal.
DaRealdeal

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think that McCown is going to be pretty solid. Not nearly as efficient as he was in Chicago, but I think he will be steady. Our long-term outlook at the position is cloudy at best, but short-term I think that we'll be OK.

There is no doubt that we have some solid individual talent on the OLine, but we will be fielding four new starters. That's a huge overhaul. Not saying that it wasn't needed, but these guys need time to gel. They need to learn how the guy next to them plays so that they can get into a rhythm and become a cohesive unit. Being able to anticipate how your teammate will react when a blitzing LB hits the A gap or when a DT and a DE stunt is crucial. Throw in the fact that they are all learning a new offensive scheme and you have to think that it's going to take them some time to click.

Adopt-A-Buc Adrian Clayborn
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
REDandPEWTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaRealdeal wrote:
I actually think that McCown is going to be pretty solid. Not nearly as efficient as he was in Chicago, but I think he will be steady. Our long-term outlook at the position is cloudy at best, but short-term I think that we'll be OK.

There is no doubt that we have some solid individual talent on the OLine, but we will be fielding four new starters. That's a huge overhaul. Not saying that it wasn't needed, but these guys need time to gel. They need to learn how the guy next to them plays so that they can get into a rhythm and become a cohesive unit. Being able to anticipate how your teammate will react when a blitzing LB hits the A gap or when a DT and a DE stunt is crucial. Throw in the fact that they are all learning a new offensive scheme and you have to think that it's going to take them some time to click.

I think the offense as a whole can struggle the first half of the season and basically wait and see from there on. Tedford at call playcalling leaned 53/47 run vs pass. I think we're going to show a balanced attack but I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up running the ball more with 3 effective backs.

I'll get to the defense hopefully by tomorrow but I see them keeping us competitve but not enough for a play off birth unless McCown plays at a completely different level. I know you're confident he'll turn out solid but I can't take 5 games and forget a 10 year journey man 2nd/3rd strong caliber to out of the league qb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Tampa Bay Buccaneers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: