Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This years "make it or Break it"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pugger

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears we are simplifying the defense this season so we'll see if it was scheme or lack of play makers.

My list other than Capers and rookies:

Raji
B. Jones
Burnett
Perry
One of the centers
Sherrod
Quarless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
*Nick Perry* The coaches seem to be pretty down on this guy. It's time to step up or get shipped off. How about a Perry for McClellin swap? The ultra rare Packer/Bear swap .. of bums.

This quote kind of blew my mind:

Perry has now missed 17 of 35 games in his short career (including playoffs). And Green Bay's coaches seem to be out of patience.

"Nick Perry in my book has done absolutely zero," Moss said.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/much-depends-on-clay-matthews-thumb-b99308792z1-267338011.html

Coaches usually aren't that blunt in public. Especially in the offseason when everything is sunshine and rainbows.
ArodFanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I believe all the talk the coaches are doing about Nick is to motivate him. From the few times I was able to speak with him, and by all other accounts, he's a very humble guy. He's never going to be a leader on this defense especially vocally. However, he's still a tremendous run defender and sets the edge about as well as you could hope from a 3 year pro that transitioned from DE to OLB in the pros. We'd all love Nick to become a great pass rusher, but the simple fact of the matter is we will probably have to settle for him being a slightly above average pass rusher and an excellent run defender. I'll gladly take that over the trash that was Erik Walden before we got Nick. This obviously all depends on his health though. If he can't stay on the field this season, he's useless to this team. However when he's on it, to say "he's done nothing" is extremely harsh.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCarthy, Capers, and now Moss have all taken shots at Perry this offseason. Obviously they are trying to motivate him, and that in itself is sad. They shouldn't have to motivate this guy to push himself. They wouldn't call him out like that unless they think he's dogging it, or milking injuries.
pollino14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this isn't a make or break year for Capers Laughing Laughing Laughing

I think Sherrod, Perry, Burnett, Raji and Quarless are all candidates as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikemike778 wrote:

Surely this thread is about under-achievers. Big names who haven't done and face their last chance before being kicked out.

Boykin may be a guy playing for his future but surely the absolutely last possible person this thread is about.

I looked at Boykin as a guy who stands to gain a lot or possibly be a flash in the pan. I feel it is a very important year for him regarding his nfl future.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
dijatool

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

{Family Ghost} wrote:
McCarthy, Capers, and now Moss have all taken shots at Perry this offseason. Obviously they are trying to motivate him, and that in itself is sad. They shouldn't have to motivate this guy to push himself. They wouldn't call him out like that unless they think he's dogging it, or milking injuries.

I know Mac made a face and said it's never good to miss the entire offseason program when asked about Perry's absence, but that's not exactly calling him out, more like a statement of fact from someone who preaches availability.

Was there something recent said by Capers and Moss?

CobbsNRodgers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sherrod comes to mind first. It feels like he has been on the roster forever now, and is just never on the field. I get that injuries have set him back, but he's gotta give us something this year.
Mazrimiv

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the defensive side, it would almost be easier to list the players who are NOT in a make it or break it situation. There are a lot of players with a lot to prove on that side of the ball. Perry, Raji and Worthy are at the top of that list IMO.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArodFanboy wrote:
Honestly I believe all the talk the coaches are doing about Nick is to motivate him. From the few times I was able to speak with him, and by all other accounts, he's a very humble guy. He's never going to be a leader on this defense especially vocally. However, he's still a tremendous run defender and sets the edge about as well as you could hope from a 3 year pro that transitioned from DE to OLB in the pros. We'd all love Nick to become a great pass rusher, but the simple fact of the matter is we will probably have to settle for him being a slightly above average pass rusher and an excellent run defender. I'll gladly take that over the trash that was Erik Walden before we got Nick. This obviously all depends on his health though. If he can't stay on the field this season, he's useless to this team. However when he's on it, to say "he's done nothing" is extremely harsh.

I wouldn't be all that disappointed if he turns out to be a great run defender. I'm weary of Peterson and others running wild on us.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dijatool wrote:
{Family Ghost} wrote:

I know Mac made a face and said it's never good to miss the entire offseason program when asked about Perry's absence, but that's not exactly calling him out, more like a statement of fact from someone who preaches availability.

Was there something recent said by Capers and Moss?

The Moss quote is posted a few posts up. Capers just said that Perry had been in meetings, but done nothing this offseason. Moss's statement was the harshest of the bunch, and the most recent I believe. Perry apparently has an undisclosed injury of some sort .. surprise, surprise.
Skypilot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vang_evo9 wrote:
Capers shoulda been gone years ago when Collins and Woodson left. Sorry Dom fans but we don't have beasts all over the field to make his complicated scheme at least decent anymore.
Perry and House gotta step it up and show consistancy.
Neal, another overpaid defender gotta show that he has at least more than Walden or else we can stick with a cheaper version in Hubbard.
Burnett. Mediocre safety play opposite him doesn't mean he needs to miss all them tackles or get lost in the open field.
SOMEBODY has to grow into a star within the D line.

All of this plus Raji, of course. He really needs to step up. Great comments on Capers. If we need beasts all over the field, then why continue to employ and overpay an overrated has-been like Capers? Absolutely re: the DLine. And, that somebody needs to be Datone Jones. First round pick, like Raji, now get it together. You too, Worthy and Neal.

Not much in this area on offense. Unlike the defense (loaded with under performers due to capers and his scheme). Tretter and Linsley get time to develop. Bulaga needs to prove he can stay healthy or he's gone absent a minimum contract ext.. It's his walk year. Sherrod is such a disappointing nonentity, he's hardly worth mentioning. Biggest bust since Harrell.
Pugger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
vang_evo9 wrote:
Capers shoulda been gone years ago when Collins and Woodson left. Sorry Dom fans but we don't have beasts all over the field to make his complicated scheme at least decent anymore.
Perry and House gotta step it up and show consistancy.
Neal, another overpaid defender gotta show that he has at least more than Walden or else we can stick with a cheaper version in Hubbard.
Burnett. Mediocre safety play opposite him doesn't mean he needs to miss all them tackles or get lost in the open field.
SOMEBODY has to grow into a star within the D line.

All of this plus Raji, of course. He really needs to step up. Great comments on Capers. If we need beasts all over the field, then why continue to employ and overpay an overrated has-been like Capers? Absolutely re: the DLine. And, that somebody needs to be Datone Jones. First round pick, like Raji, now get it together. You too, Worthy and Neal.

Not much in this area on offense. Unlike the defense (loaded with under performers due to capers and his scheme). Tretter and Linsley get time to develop. Bulaga needs to prove he can stay healthy or he's gone absent a minimum contract ext.. It's his walk year. Sherrod is such a disappointing nonentity, he's hardly worth mentioning. Biggest bust since Harrell.

Harrell had several injuries and the coup de grace was his back. Sherrod had one bad injury and reports are he is now 100% healthy. I'd prefer to wait and see how he looks next week in TC before I declare him a bust.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have a hard time being real disappointed in Sherrod .. he had a major on-field injury, and then complications from the surgery. He's apparently a hard worker, and just wants to get the chance to play.

Harrell was injury prone, plus he showed up out of shape a time or two. He was pretty much a disappointment from the time he showed up in GB until the time he left.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: