Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Camp Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 53, 54, 55  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PACKRULE

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Also where did the mythical offseason for Sherrod come from? That was the lock out year. This is his first healthy offseason. How much is a raw rookie supposed to flash in the preseason?? He played well for his lack of offseason activities.

This is hugely true for Sherrod. Also as the other poster above compares Sherrod's situation to Bahk's it isn't close. MM would have chosen anyone else to start at Lt last year but there was no one. The year that Sherrod was a rook we had Cliffy and Newhouse. Sherrod only came in after Newhouse. If you watch the tape Sherrod outplayed Newhouse. I have no idea why Newhouse was ahead of him on the depth chart. Kinda like why Kuhn is on on third and short instead of Lacy. MM just likes experience sometimes.

As AG pointed out earler in the thread he did show promise as a rookie, that's likey why we're still talking about him as a Packer.
Pugger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
Also where did the mythical offseason for Sherrod come from? That was the lock out year. This is his first healthy offseason. How much is a raw rookie supposed to flash in the preseason?? He played well for his lack of offseason activities.

I thought I read back then that the reason he was tried out as a guard was they wanted someplace to put their first round pick but that didn't work out. I look at him as a "rookie" in the sense of how much actual time he's had on the practice field. I am eager to see how he looks this TC.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine/hope Sherrod is anxious to play above grade.
Mixture of pride and chippy proof
will cause even the nicest person to overcompensate.

NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

I thought I read back then that the reason he was tried out as a guard was they wanted someplace to put their first round pick but that didn't work out. I look at him as a "rookie" in the sense of how much actual time he's had on the practice field. I am eager to see how he looks this TC.

I literally always thought the motive was to get his [inappropriate/removed] beat to see if they could create some nasty in him. Some "fight back."

This isn't intended to offend anyone, but I thought anyone with eyes could see Sherrod couldn't play guard a lick with that attitude. I got beat up really bad because I "mocked" a few people saying to throw him in at guard after the draft. I told them NO WAY and when the staff did it, they got back at me saying look the staff wants to do it. They were quickly silenced when they saw how terrible it went.

I felt like it was an attitude adjustment move...just my POV though.
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is posted but.

Quote:
The Packers want Eddie Lacy to log more snaps than he did last season, "in order to prevent substitutions from slowing down the offense."
The Packers want Lacy "on the field longer," according to beat reporter Rob Demovsky. "We want to get him touches, trying to get him more involved in all aspects of the game," said OC Tom Clements. Demovsky believes an even more complete role could mean more receptions for Lacy, who caught 35 passes as a rookie. Lacy played 60.2 percent of Green Bay's offensive snaps last season

Roto

I feel like this is kind of bullcrap. All this we want to play so fast. Now we want to play Lacy way more? Meh.

I might be a tinfoil hat wearer on this one, but I think this could be a gamesmanship move for week one. Why announce any of this, all the speed and Lacy will be out there all the time? IDK, just odd to me.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:

Quote:
The Packers want Eddie Lacy to log more snaps than he did last season, "in order to prevent substitutions from slowing down the offense."
The Packers want Lacy "on the field longer," according to beat reporter Rob Demovsky. "We want to get him touches, trying to get him more involved in all aspects of the game," said OC Tom Clements. Demovsky believes an even more complete role could mean more receptions for Lacy, who caught 35 passes as a rookie. Lacy played 60.2 percent of Green Bay's offensive snaps last season

Roto

I feel like this is kind of bullcrap. All this we want to play so fast. Now we want to play Lacy way more? Meh.

I might be a tinfoil hat wearer on this one, but I think this could be a gamesmanship move for week one. Why announce any of this, all the speed and Lacy will be out there all the time? IDK, just odd to me.

On the other hand, isn't that exactly how you would attack Seattle?
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexGreen#20 wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:

Quote:

Roto

On the other hand, isn't that exactly how you would attack Seattle?

Maybe so. But why broadcast it? It's just odd to me.

I'm just disappointed Sherman didn't get busted for PEDs yet so he could be out the first 4 weeks Laughing
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:

Quote:

Roto

If you substitute offensively you must allow the defense any substitution as well, therefore no hurry up. If the offense plays faster Eddie will play more, no bull there.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
Pugger wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

I literally always thought the motive was to get his [inappropriate/removed] beat to see if they could create some nasty in him. Some "fight back."

This isn't intended to offend anyone, but I thought anyone with eyes could see Sherrod couldn't play guard a lick with that attitude. I got beat up really bad because I "mocked" a few people saying to throw him in at guard after the draft. I told them NO WAY and when the staff did it, they got back at me saying look the staff wants to do it. They were quickly silenced when they saw how terrible it went.

That no-offseason excuse real gets tiresome re: Sherrod. NOT ONE DRAFTEE in the entire league had a full off-season in the strike year. Zero OLnemen, yet many excelled and are still in the league. Cobb didn't have an off-season either, and yet he excelled. And, before people jump to Sherrod's defense, WR in GB's offense isn't exactly easy to work into/pick up for rooks.

Agree with your Sherrod assessment re: Derek's lack of of sand-in-the pants attitude. That's just not going to change. It's who is is.

But, GB often starts their rookie tackles at guard: Bulaga, Newhouse and Sherrod being prime examples. Sherrod was awful in that role and really, out of place at G, to be fair. He's a finesse player, meant to play LT. Always has been and always will be. Nothing wrong with that, except MM's musical chairs philosophy re: Olinemen certainly didn't help Derek's development in his rookie season.

You see how they are slowly shifting from that failed philosophy with Bakhtiari (by necessity in 2013) and Tretter at C, and I think that will serve the Packers well going forward. You will always have the "swingman" like Barclay, but for the most part, put somebody at a position and leave him there.
wgbeethree

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Pugger wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

That no-offseason excuse real gets tiresome re: Sherrod. NOT ONE DRAFTEE in the entire league had a full off-season in the strike year. Zero OLnemen, yet many excelled and are still in the league. Cobb didn't have an off-season either, and yet he excelled. And, before people jump to Sherrod's defense, WR in GB's offense isn't exactly easy to work into/pick up for rooks.

Agree with your Sherrod assessment re: Derek's lack of of sand-in-the pants attitude. That's just not going to change. It's who is is.

But, GB often starts their rookie tackles at guard: Bulaga, Newhouse and Sherrod being prime examples. Sherrod was awful in that role and really, out of place at G, to be fair. He's a finesse player, meant to play LT. Always has been and always will be. Nothing wrong with that, except MM's musical chairs philosophy re: Olinemen certainly didn't help Derek's development in his rookie season.

You see how they are slowly shifting from that failed philosophy with Bakhtiari (by necessity in 2013) and Tretter at C, and I think that will serve the Packers well going forward. You will always have the "swingman" like Barclay, but for the most part, put somebody at a position and leave him there.

Cobb didn't excel. He went for 25/375/1.
Rookie recievers numbers we down across the board in 2011 as well compared to say last years despite having a more highly touted class. I cant imagine how you could possibly make the argument that missing an offseason wasn't detrimental to not only Sherrod but that entire class. It's absolutely absurd (and that is the NICEST way possible to say that).

Sherrod (or any rookie tackle) wasn't going to beat out Clifton that year and Sherrod's injury came just a couple weeks after Clifton's.

TytybearsFan21 wrote:
Justo knows nothing about sportz

justo wrote:
I would be a terrible coach/anything.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
Pugger wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

PS: You obviously have no clue what "sand-in-the-pants" means.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna be honest: We can play an uptempo offense with Lacy getting carries. He might not have the 40 time Franklin had, but he's got the stamina and moxie to run an uptempo offense and still be effective. The 31 other teams will still be kicking themselves for passing on him...
GoPackGo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love the way Bakh plays though. He has that mean streak that I want in the guys protecting the QB.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Laughing
We have a winner! Although the dialogue before that quote is pretty apt, too.

"I know one thing about these guys, they're not going to stop quitting.''
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched a ton of Lyerla HS stuff, not really sure why. Just hilariously unfair.

My favorite is this kick return, he hurdles his own guy then truck sticks another one. His own teammates both. I was laughing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 40 of 55

Jump to: