Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SoS's Pressing Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

How's it going fellas. This will be the next installment of my "32 Team Pressing Fantasy Questions" thread, which will be found in the Fantasy Football forum once I've compiled a sufficient amount of responses. I will be linking each team from that central thread so posters can click on the link and be directed to this thread (or whichever team they click on) to directly see the comments you guys have left.

With that said, I would GREATLY appreciate as much participation/responses/opinions as possible. I know it's somewhat of a dead period here on Football's Future but it would be great if you guys could just take a few seconds to voice what you believe to be the answer to these pressing questions. Since it is for fantasy purposes, there likely will not be any defensive questions. Each team will have 3 questions and they will generally encompass the QBs, RBs, and WRs.

Thanks in advance!

1. The biggest uncertainty as of now is how long Ray Rice will be out. The more important question, however, is whether Rice will regain his starting role upon his return and what his workload might be? What might Bernard Pierce's season look like?

2. The Ravens have essentially added 3 new targets to their offense this season with the return of Dennis Pitta and additions of Steve Smith and Owen Daniels. And don't let me forget Marlon Brown. Which of these complimentary pieces has the most fantasy value and which one is the best option for the long-term?

3. With all of these added weapons, it's safe to say Joe Flacco should have an improvement upon his 2013 fantasy numbers. What are you guys projecting for him at this point?

wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, Rice will be the starter when he gets back. When that happens, the workload spit should be similar to last season. Maybe some burn for Forsett and our rookie, LTF. The efficiency should hopefully revert back from extreme lows of last year. Even if Pierce looks like the better runner (like he did for portions of 2012), I don't think the coaching staff moves away from Rice as the feature guy. At least until after this year.

2. Easily Pitta. He will be our main possession receiver but be TE eligible. Flacco and him are BFFs, which doesn't hurt. During last year's training camp, all the talk was how the offense looked like it was going to be Flacco throwing to Pitta, before that was ruined. I don't see that changing with a Kubiak offense. I think he will comfortably be a top 10 TE in receiving.

3. I project: 3800-4000 yards, 25-27TD, 10-13 INT
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't think Rice being the starter is set in stone at all. Personally, while I still think Rice has some left in the tank (I argued for it all last season), I think if BP shows promise (which I think he will, I think he's suited well for that system) we'll see more of a 50/50 split. For BP's season, I personally think we see an 800+ yard, 6+ TD season from him with Rice at about 630 yards and 4 TDs.

2. Dennis Pitta for both questions. He's Flacco's favorite target and our best redzone threat. I expect an 800 yard, 7 TD season from him.

3. I think Flacco will have a career year, personally assuming the OL holds up. I think 4000 yards, 27 TD, 14 INT.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
3. I think Flacco will have a career year, personally assuming the OL holds up. I think 4000 yards, 27 TD, 14 INT.

wackywabbit wrote:

well both of those projections are rather frightening. Safe to assume everyone (i.e. Ravens fans) expects that 2013 was a complete anomaly, hence projecting career highs in all areas?
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

wackywabbit wrote:

well both of those projections are rather frightening. Safe to assume everyone (i.e. Ravens fans) expects that 2013 was a complete anomaly, hence projecting career highs in all areas?

Who doesn't think 2013 was an anomaly? It pretty clearly was when looking at his year by year numbers. You disagree?

3800 yards and 25 TDs aren't something he hasn't done before. Yes, we expect his best regular season ever because he has his best receiving group ever, and also doesn't have a running game that will carry the offense. Maybe my int total was a little low, maybe 13-15, but I'm pretty confident he will hit the other two.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

wackywabbit wrote:

Absolutely we think 2013 was an anamoly. When you lose your most consistent WR to a trade (Boldin), the guy who was supposed to fill that role to injury (Pitta), your #2 WR to injury (Jones), your LG to injury (KO), your center to retirement (Birk) and his replacement is garbage (Gradkowski), and your RB dinged up and slow (Rice) not to mention an all-time type poor OL performance... that kind of stuff doesn't just continually happen. We've upgraded the weapons (added Daniels, Smith and get Pitta back), we've replaced Gradkowski (Zuttah, if nothing else, is a step forward because there's nowhere to go backwards), KO is back, and we picked up a coordinator who has a track record of getting run games going.

My prediction is essentially that he plays similar to he did in 2012 but a little less reliance on the run game in the redzone meaning his TD totals jump a bit. It's optimistic, sure, but it's just barely touching on career #s (88 more yards than last year and 2 more TDs than in 2010).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
1. I don't think Rice being the starter is set in stone at all. Personally, while I still think Rice has some left in the tank (I argued for it all last season), I think if BP shows promise (which I think he will, I think he's suited well for that system) we'll see more of a 50/50 split. For BP's season, I personally think we see an 800+ yard, 6+ TD season from him with Rice at about 630 yards and 4 TDs.

2. Dennis Pitta for both questions. He's Flacco's favorite target and our best redzone threat. I expect an 800 yard, 7 TD season from him.

I agree on both Pitta being the pick and Flacco having a potential career year. I think he will push himself harder because of the circumstances last year. We will see!
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legacyof52 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

I agree on both Pitta being the pick and Flacco having a potential career year. I think he will push himself harder because of the circumstances last year. We will see!

Meh, every year there's a new reason Flacco will have a career year, and every year he disappoints in some regard or another (in the regular season, that is). I honestly don't care how Flacco plays in the regular season because I know IF we make the playoffs he WILL elevate his game. It's just a matter of can Flacco play good enough for us to make the playoffs or not?

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
wwhickok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just an outsider's view but I'd like to comment on the 1st question.

I think Rice is just about done as a feature running back. He clearly has something left, but I think we can agree, he wasn't the same RB last season as he's been in his career for you guys. To me, he seemed to be missing something, that extra gear and that elusiveness that made him so great in the past. No matter how long his suspension is, I think the Ravens have to start to get used to life without Rice because I think that time is coming sooner rather than later.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
This is just an outsider's view but I'd like to comment on the 1st question.

I think Rice is just about done as a feature running back. He clearly has something left, but I think we can agree, he wasn't the same RB last season as he's been in his career for you guys. To me, he seemed to be missing something, that extra gear and that elusiveness that made him so great in the past. No matter how long his suspension is, I think the Ravens have to start to get used to life without Rice because I think that time is coming sooner rather than later.

While I agree he didn't seem the same, you also have to factor in that he has lost weight, last season he was dealing with a nagging injury, and our OL was flat out atrocious. Bernard Pierce had an even worse YPC.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Rice is 27 years old. He had a lingering injury and was running behind a god awful line. Almost no chance he doesn't get back to a high level.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
Ray Rice is 27 years old. He had a lingering injury and was running behind a god awful line. Almost no chance he doesn't get back to a high level.

Rice's last two seasons at Rutgers, he had over 700 touches in 26 games (~28.6/game avg). He's also averaging 300 touches/year since he entered the NFL, so he's an old 27.

Knowing that, I'm not sure it's a given he returns to a high level again. I think he can be a perfectly good RB as part of a two-headed backfield, but his days of being a feature back are likely over.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Legacyof52 wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Meh, every year there's a new reason Flacco will have a career year, and every year he disappoints in some regard or another (in the regular season, that is). I honestly don't care how Flacco plays in the regular season because I know IF we make the playoffs he WILL elevate his game. It's just a matter of can Flacco play good enough for us to make the playoffs or not?

When you do add in the playoffs, 2012 was certainly not a disappointing season. So really, he's disappointed twice (2011 and 2013) in 6 years and exceeded expectations 4 times.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expectations must've been really low those years.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Expectations must've been really low those years.

You mean compared to the sky high expectations given in this thread?

100 yards more or fewer yards than he's had the last 2 years, and 0-2 more TDs than he had in 2010 or 2012 (if you include rushing)?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: