Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

SoS's Pressing Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

How's it going fellas. This will be the next installment of my "32 Team Pressing Fantasy Questions" thread, which will be found in the Fantasy Football forum once I've compiled a sufficient amount of responses. I will be linking each team from that central thread so posters can click on the link and be directed to this thread (or whichever team they click on) to directly see the comments you guys have left.

With that said, I would GREATLY appreciate as much participation/responses/opinions as possible. I know it's somewhat of a dead period here on Football's Future but it would be great if you guys could just take a few seconds to voice what you believe to be the answer to these pressing questions. Since it is for fantasy purposes, there likely will not be any defensive questions. Each team will have 3 questions and they will generally encompass the QBs, RBs, and WRs.

Thanks in advance!

1. A big topic is how this offense is going to change with a new offensive coordinator calling the shots. It looks to be more pass-oriented this season, so how might that effect DeMarco Murray? Are people sleeping on Lance Dunbar too much? Who is the best bet to get carries if Murray goes down?

2. Dez Bryant is a monster, but after that it gets murky. Does Terrance Williams have legit sleeper value this year? Is Cole Beasley a guy to monitor? How might Jason Witten and Galvin Escobar effect one another's fantasy value both short-term and long-term?

3. Tony Romo is obviously a big talking point when discussing the Cowboys. Everyone knows about his back injury to end the 2013 season, but people are now wondering whether or not he can come back and be a top 5 fantasy QB?

Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
1. A big topic is how this offense is going to change with a new offensive coordinator calling the shots. It looks to be more pass-oriented this season, so how might that effect DeMarco Murray? Are people sleeping on Lance Dunbar too much? Who is the best bet to get carries if Murray goes down?

I am probably the biggest Murray hater around these parts because he is often pimped as a top 10 RB, when he is not. If he is your 1st RB starter, chances are you didn't draft correctly.

That said, I expect him to be much better this year. With even more muscle on the offensive line, I expect us to have a more controlling presence around the goal line. He's a mid-tier RB with a bad injury history. That said, each and every game we play the Rams he is a must starter.

Murray is a fantastic pass-defender and pretty decent receiver. He will get touches. He will get points.

Also, I think Dunbar should be drafted 100% in ever league. Not over Murray, obviously, but he is worth a roster spot. The man is electrifying. He will likely get 10-15 snaps per games where the plays are specifically directed for him. If you are in a PPR, he is a must pick up.

I expect Williams to beat out Randle for the third spot and should Murray go down, he will get the bulk.

Quote:
2. Dez Bryant is a monster, but after that it gets murky. Does Terrance Williams have legit sleeper value this year? Is Cole Beasley a guy to monitor? How might Jason Witten and Galvin Escobar effect one another's fantasy value both short-term and long-term?

Williams will be our #2. He will get looks. Especially as Tony gains more confidence. Witten is the ultimate safety net. And he is finally being utilized more in the redzone. Cole will likely be our 4th WR and all around savior of the universe. Deep league pick up - but otherwise he is beyond our mortal comprehension.

Pablo Escobar is far and away the most intriguing prospect. His hands are amazing. He is clearly a receiving threat. He started last year poor and ended well. He's a wild card, but with huge sleeper potential.

Quote:
3. Tony Romo is obviously a big talking point when discussing the Cowboys. Everyone knows about his back injury to end the 2013 season, but people are now wondering whether or not he can come back and be a top 5 fantasy QB?

I think so, yes. Culminate that with the Fantasy season taking place in the regular season, Tony is a high buy. Plus he now has an even more impressive Offensive Line, and a wealth of offensive weapons. Add on to that our horrendous defense - the only way we win is if we score, a lot.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
SoS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow-up question, how long might it take for Escobar to dethrone Witten as the #1 receiving TE in Dallas?
atran35

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Follow-up question, how long might it take for Escobar to dethrone Witten as the #1 receiving TE in Dallas?

Never. JK. I don't see much of a drop of in Witten's play. He is one of those guys that runs a perfect route and knows when to CUT. Additionally, Escobar needs to improve his BLOCKING before he can be a Starter.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:

Er. Honestly. I don't know. Witten will play more snaps for the next to years (barring injury) over Pablo for the simple reason that Witten can actually block and the chemistry is undeniable. That doesn't mean Pablo won't out Score Witten, or get more yards/catches. But by sheer virtue of percentages, Witten will have more opportunity for the forseable future.

Dez
Witten
Williams
RB's (all of them)
^ Will get the bulk of looks

Then you have a battle between
Ol' King Cole
Pablo
Street
And Harris
picking up the remainder.

Pablo should be a late deep sleeper pick. Possible value as a keeper league. But buyer beware - may go games without looks, may have monster games.

In Redball I Trust!
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

Quote:

I, along with TO_7, am not as big a fan of Murray as others seem to be. He has issues staying healthy which is well documented. With that being said, I believe he could be in for a career year IF he can play 14+ games. He is going to be utilized more in the passing game and with an ever improving offensive line, our running game should improve as well. Getting Murray as your RB2 would be where he is most valuable.

I differ from TO on this one. I don't see Dunbar as worthy of a roster spot. I don't think his ~10ish touches per game are worth spending a draft pick on. He is electrifying, yes, but he also has injury concerns and is simply a poor man's Reggie Bush right now.

Dunbar will not get the bulk of the carries if Murray goes down. Those will go to either Ryan Williams or Joseph Randle. Whichever wins the job in TC will get the bulk of the back up carries.

Quote:

I think Terrance Williams is a legit Bench candidate on someones roster and maybe even a WR3. I see him as being a guy who will likely have maybe 2-3 catches per game but they will be for big yardage. He's our deep threat and I think once Tony gets more comfortable with him, he will look his direction more.

Personally, I don't see Beasley as a FF option. He's not utilized enough and doesn't get many RZ opportunities. In a PPR league, he could be of some value late in the draft.

This is the hardest one to answer for me. Escobar showed flashes last year of the athletic ability we expected from him and has stick-em for hands. Witten will always be Romo's go-to guy when he needs a play made. Witten was used a little more in the red-zone last year and judging from Linehan's use of Joseph Fauria in the red-zone (and the TE in general), expect Witten AND Escobar to get lots of looks inside the 20s.

Quote:

All reports are that he is ready to roll and has been for weeks now. But, back injuries are always a scary deal and can flare up in an instant. If he's healthy, he will definitely be a top 5-6 fantasy option this year.

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CowboysTilIDie I absolutely agree that Cole doesn't have much value. I play in a 16 man league with deep rosters, in formats like that I do rec him. But otherwise, the Chosen one should not be considered.

In Redball I Trust!
DaBoys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
1. A big topic is how this offense is going to change with a new offensive coordinator calling the shots. It looks to be more pass-oriented this season,

First of all, I wouldn't say the offense is going to be more pass oriented. The Cowboys passed the ball 63.56% in 2013. Only the Browns and Falcons had a higher percentage. So unless Scott Linehan was calling pays for those two teams, I find it hard to imagine that we can be more pass oriented. He is a pass first guy, though, so I don't think we see much of a change. I expect the RBs/TEs to have somewhat new roles in the passing game, but honestly I expect us to field the same Romo-friendly offense(which is not a bad thing).

SoS wrote:
so how might that effect DeMarco Murray?

Again... not much change here. I expect a somewhat different role but I don't think that translates to more. Scott Linehan was with the Lions last year:

Reggie Bush: 14 Games in 2013
DeMarco Murray: 14 Games in 2013

Reggie Bush: 223 rushing attempts
DeMarco Murray: 217 rushing attempts

Reggie Bush: 54 receptions
DeMarco Murray: 53 receptions

Reggie Bush: 1,512 Total yards
DeMarco Murray: 1,471 Total yards

So I see no substantial reason to believe the new coordinator will mean anything to Murray. At least not from a "significant change in production" stand point.

SoS wrote:
Are people sleeping on Lance Dunbar too much?

No. Dunbar needs to be slept on. He hasn't done anything in the NFL. We have seen the explosiveness for two years now, but a 190 pound RB with injury concerns, and 225 career rushing yards shouldn't even be in the fantasy discussion. He has the talent to light things up, but at this point he isn't draft-able. Look at it like this, If Dunbar got 7 carries for 42 yards and 5 receptions for 50 yards and a TD, that would be an amazing game for him! It would be a fantastical performance, that would no doubt get game ball mentions, but how valuable is a running back whose best day might yield 90 yards? That is if he is healthy and all the stars align.

SoS wrote:
Who is the best bet to get carries if Murray goes down?

It will be 5-7 carries for one running back(Dunbar) and 5-7 carries for another(Joseph/Williams?) But when Murray goes down we will most likely lean even more heavily on the pass game.

SoS wrote:
2. Dez Bryant is a monster, but after that it gets murky. Does Terrance Williams have legit sleeper value this year?

Yes. He was a legit sleeper last year with over 700 yards and 5 TDs in his rookie year, and it is natural to assume he has more confidence, chemistry, and a bigger role this year. He finished 2013 strong with a 30 yard grab in week 15, a 50 yard catch in week 16, and a lone 40 yard catch in week 17. Look for him to have an even bigger season with Miles Austin gone, and a year under his belt.

SoS wrote:
is Cole Beasley a guy to monitor?

Yes. When you put it like that. I wouldn't draft him yet. He is a guy that will benefit from Miles Austin leaving, but he will have to fight Dwayne Harris for slot work. With Dez, Williams, Witten, Murray, and possibly Dunbar/Escobar getting more looks. Not to mention we drafted a WR. I wouldn't draft Cole Beasly, but monitor? yess... I'll keep an eye out.

SoS wrote:
How might Jason Witten and Galvin Escobar effect one another's fantasy value both short-term and long-term?

Witten destroys Escobars fantasy value. Escobar doesn't do much to Wittens. As Witten ages I assume Escobar will take over, but not till Witten is gone. Escobar will never be the guy while Witten is here. What makes Witten good isn't his athletic ability. So the skills that age deteriorates are not that important in his game. We aren't concerned with Witten getting old and slow. He was old and slow last year, and the year before that, and the year before that. But in those 3 years he has 2,832 yards and 16 TDs. As long as Witten is playing he will be good. Look what TG was able to do at his age last year. Escobar still needs to show he can play. He is still a question mark. He looks to be a redzone nightmare, but I wouldn't be sure he is or will be anything until he plays a little more.

SoS wrote:

Reports are that he is fine. I have seen the guy play pretty darn good with a punctured lung, broken rib, collar bone, you name it. He is pretty darn good healthy too, and that is what he is said to be. We didn't make any splashes on offense this off season. We kept what we had, and made it stronger. The only new starter should be our 1st round number 16 overall pick at RG. So, due to lack of reason to believe otherwise, look for Tony to have a normal Tony year. What's a normal Tony year? His average over the last 3 seasons:

4,305yds 30tds and 13ints

And he is supposed to have a better line than any of those years. So he is as safe a pick as they come at QB.

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know for certain is that the cowboys defense should be a top priority this season... I'd consider drafting cowboys defense as high as round 3.

DaBoys

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SoS's Pressing Questions Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
Since it is for fantasy purposes, there likely will not be any defensive questions.

That's fine... we have enough questions on defense

Matts4313 wrote:
I agree with daboys, some of you might be insane.

The_Slamman wrote:
Daboys is right.

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
BTW, DaBoys wins this thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: