Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

I'm worried that Peppers is done
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skypilot wrote:
AlexGreen#20 wrote:
Skypilot wrote:
SDN40 wrote:
Signing Peppers was a risk, but a calculated one that will not upset the salary cap should it fail. I think the new position and contending team will re-energize Peppers. I thought I read somewhere that he has always wanted to give the 3-4 a shot. By all accounts, he is moving and hustling better than the younger guys. I also wonder if his declining numbers matched the declining team defense of the Bears.

Regardless, I applaud the effort at adding talent, especially with the added bonus of having almost no financial risk

They had to do something to help Mathews. Can't just wait on the injury- prone and bad fit at OLB, Nick Perry or the UDFA's like Mulumba to step up.

I've also noticed that people's acceptance of PFF depends on whether they agree with the statistical analysis of one or more of their favorite players. So, if one were to disregard their analysis of, say, the Packers ILB'ers in 2012 when Brad Jones was among the top ILB's in the league according to PFF, and they other guy wasn't, why suddenly get worried about Peppers' declining production/effectiveness?

In 2014 at least, Peppers is getting paid a lot and we should expect results. Long term risk, no, yet it's a significant short term investment.

Hard to screw up pass rushing grades.

What I like about them is they tackle every position and every play. Fans can't get away with saying 'player A' had 123 combined tackles' in 2012 and claim that proves the player had an excellent year based on a cherry=picked stat. (Morgan Burnett.) It also statically illustrates why Josh Sitton, for instance, is superior to TJ Lang (who's no slouch).

They also tend to be biased and incomplete in their grading as well as simply not having the access to the information required to draw their conclusions.

They also grade like dumbasses for portions of their site. If Jimmy Graham goes out for a pass 80% of the time, why would you bother to weigh that equally with his pass blocking?
driftwood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, i'm not 100% sure what JP the packers will get in 2014, however i do know that the deal he signed is essentially a 1 year trial run & wont cripple the packers past 2014 if he doesn't pan out the way they hoped

good news is, if Julius is on the team next year than that means his 2014 season went well

its a 1 year financial risk with the possibility to reward us nicely if he performs... at worst the packers are out about 8.5 mill & at best they are out about 30ish mill over 3 years

in the end I would be far more upset if datone or perry didn't take a large step forward in progression then i would be if peppers busted in 2014... unfortunately the probability of all 3 of these guys having a bad 2014 is way too high & a lot is riding on the success of at least 2 of these guys panning out (& that doesn't sit well with me right now, but its still very early)
Stoop Trash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have no statistics or facts to back this up, I am optimistic about Peppers this year. Think he still has a little left in the tank and we will get to see it. Really feel like he was down last year for because the Bears d-line was absolutely decimated by injuries. Peppers is older and couldn't do it all with what happened to that line.

Didn't go crazy over the signing, but do think the Packers will get more out of him than he showed last year.
PackFan4Life

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too worried about his stats. He is going to be an additional piece that must be accounted for by the opposing offense IMO. Peppers will be a complimentary player that will make the others around him that much better. I also think players like D. Jones, Perry, and Neal are going to learn quite a bit from him that may benefit the team long after he is gone. But the stats, not too worried. Peppers will put up some numbers and help others add to theirs. Defense this year is going to be a sum of all the pieces, and the pieces this year look much more talented then what they had last year IMO.
Pugger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driftwood wrote:
you know, i'm not 100% sure what JP the packers will get in 2014, however i do know that the deal he signed is essentially a 1 year trial run & wont cripple the packers past 2014 if he doesn't pan out the way they hoped

good news is, if Julius is on the team next year than that means his 2014 season went well

its a 1 year financial risk with the possibility to reward us nicely if he performs... at worst the packers are out about 8.5 mill & at best they are out about 30ish mill over 3 years

in the end I would be far more upset if datone or perry didn't take a large step forward in progression then i would be if peppers busted in 2014...
unfortunately the probability of all 3 of these guys having a bad 2014 is way too high & a lot is riding on the success of at least 2 of these guys panning out (& that doesn't sit well with me right now, but its still very early)

This all day long.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason to be worried. Peppers still has to be game planned around. Defenses have to know where he is. He might be a 10 plus sack guy, but when he takes pressure off of Neal/Perry/Clay that just gives them more opportunities. He's gonna be much fresher than last year, and will be just fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me as not worried. I think there will be a lot of rotation between Perry, Neal, Datone Jones and Peppers. They should all be relatively fresh for pass rush opportunities and wouldn't be getting beat up by a full game of run defense.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs
Kampman74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused about the question, are you worried about him being Peppers in his prime or are you worried about him being a good rotation pass rusher?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppers will be better than Perry, Jones or Neal. Not one of the three has his skills, even at his age.

We have a really really good team. Love the offense and love our secondary, but our DL is our Achilles heel, or thumb in this case. If Mathews thumb doesn't heal and if Peppers isn't an improvement over Perry, Neal or Jones, we will have the same pass rush as last year, with only little Daniels being a playmaker. I have little faith in any of Perry, Neal or D. Jones. Having seen them all for at least a season, they are the same player; each has some speed, they're all fairly strong, but they can't change direction which leaves them usually out of a play if their initial charge fails.

Add in Hawk (wish I didn't have to) and we almost have to have Peppers be solid or San Fran and Seattle step on our faces once more.
NCPackFan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDN40 wrote:
Signing Peppers was a risk, but a calculated one that will not upset the salary cap should it fail. I think the new position and contending team will re-energize Peppers. I thought I read somewhere that he has always wanted to give the 3-4 a shot. By all accounts, he is moving and hustling better than the younger guys. I also wonder if his declining numbers matched the declining team defense of the Bears.

Regardless, I applaud the effort at adding talent, especially with the added bonus of having almost no financial risk. A sure thing would have been 10 million per, hence we wouldn't have done it.

At the end of the day, our defensive success doesn't hinge upon the success of Peppers, rather the success of our safeties IMO

Agreed and I think those stats have been misleading, at least last year. The Bears have been banged up along that D-line for the past few years. Melton blew his ACL out last year, and Idonije's not as effective as he once was. Therefore, teams started keying in on Peppers and Wootton knowing Chicago's LB's, which have also been banged up, weren't a legit threat and knowing that they could win one-on-one matchups with Chicago's DL depth.

On the other hand, we brought him in almost as a toy. We line him up wherever, he'll probably play half the snaps so we can keep him fresh. It's not as if we've invested a significant amount of money in him, nor is he a long-term guy. I'm looking forward to TC to see what he's got.
Frank-O

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pugger wrote:
driftwood wrote:

in the end I would be far more upset if datone or perry didn't take a large step forward in progression then i would be if peppers busted in 2014...
unfortunately the probability of all 3 of these guys having a bad 2014 is way too high & a lot is riding on the success of at least 2 of these guys panning out (& that doesn't sit well with me right now, but its still very early)

This all day long.

I'm there with you, allllll day long.

Peppers doesn't need to be an allstar for this defense to succeed, if he can help a guy like Datone or NP get to that next level, I'm all for that.

I think just his presence alone will help us, on and off the field...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
Pugger wrote:
driftwood wrote:

This all day long.

I'm there with you, allllll day long.

Peppers doesn't need to be an allstar for this defense to succeed, if he can help a guy like Datone or NP get to that next level, I'm all for that.

I think just his presence alone will help us, on and off the field...

I thought that everybody was on the Perry is good, he just has to stay healthy band wagon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PackFan4Life wrote:
Not too worried about his stats. He is going to be an additional piece that must be accounted for by the opposing offense IMO. Peppers will be a complimentary player that will make the others around him that much better. I also think players like D. Jones, Perry, and Neal are going to learn quite a bit from him that may benefit the team long after he is gone. But the stats, not too worried. Peppers will put up some numbers and help others add to theirs. Defense this year is going to be a sum of all the pieces, and the pieces this year look much more talented then what they had last year IMO.

yep, we're going to get some very quality snaps from Peppers. He's still long and strong and quick enough for his size to be a threat for the opposing team. Also a savvy veteran that has seen it all. Will be a nice guy to have around in January. Might be the guy that gets 5 sacks in the regular season and then a much larger impact when the snow falls.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely understand why Packer fans are worried about Julius Peppers. He looked like he was winding down in Chicago. I reviewed his PFF information when we signed him and had to think about it. I really think it was time for him to drop weight and play LOLB. I think it will be the perfect transition for him. He looks a lot smaller than last year. They played he and Clay on the same side some yesterday which was exciting to see. I didn't see him make any plays or stand out yesterday but it was a site to see a 6'7" guy playing linebacker. He had a couple of 2013-esque seasons in Carolina in his prime. With Peppers I'm not sure what to think at this point. I'll probably have a better idea in a couple weeks.
BobSacamano

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
I can definitely understand why Packer fans are worried about Julius Peppers. He looked like he was winding down in Chicago. I reviewed his PFF information when we signed him and had to think about it. I really think it was time for him to drop weight and play LOLB. I think it will be the perfect transition for him. He looks a lot smaller than last year. They played he and Clay on the same side some yesterday which was exciting to see. I didn't see him make any plays or stand out yesterday but it was a site to see a 6'7" guy playing linebacker. He had a couple of 2013-esque seasons in Carolina in his prime. With Peppers I'm not sure what to think at this point. I'll probably have a better idea in a couple weeks.

http://www.packers.com/media-center/photo-gallery/Packers-begin-2014-Training-Camp/21f018cd-0e97-4108-9883-ae9d2e47662a#2803bff7-bb8d-4031-a094-9d0fd756c3db

The Pythons are still pretty sick.

KingTarvaris7 wrote:
last year's vikings were far better than the packers team that just won

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: