Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Will K.J. Wright be signed?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Will K.J. Wright be signed? Reply with quote

KJ Wright is entering his final year and I'm consistently hearing that he is poised for his best season in the league, which if he plays it through without a contract, it would probably make it impossible to get him signed. Has anyone heard about anything about his contract negotiations? I've heard John Clayton talk about it possibly happening during training camp, but nothing else. Anyone know what the market value might be for a player like him? Thanks.

Quote:
Wright is right: I'll make an early prediction here. K.J. Wright could be headed toward a Pro Bowl season at outside linebacker. He rarely makes a mistake on the field and he's one of the best coverage linebackers in the NFL.

Wright had an interception in Monday's practice. At 6-foot-4, he has long arms and can break up throws with his reach and speed. Wright is starting his fourth season, which could be his best year as a pro.

http://espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/6480/five-noteworthy-players-at-otas
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be slightly shocked if we signed him. We can't really afford to keep players of his ability. Especially not with how well we've drafted LBs

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
sirensong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
I'd be slightly shocked if we signed him. We can't really afford to keep players of his ability. Especially not with how well we've drafted LBs

Outside of Wagz no LB is worth any kind of significant investment, it might be the single most plug and play position on the team O or D.

The money KJ will command is needed in several other positions much more urgently than at OLB. I think KPL is going to start for this team within 2 years and the continuing growth of Bruce and Smith along with Korey Toomer looking like a player after his injury issue, make KJ expendable because of the money he will be able to command.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one rough thing is both KJ and Smith are FA's after this season

^Rammy

BlaqOptic wrote:
SoS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the team resigns either K.J. Wright or Cliff Avril, but they cannot sign both. The decision on who to sign will come entirely down to A) how invested they are at making Bruce Irvin the feature LEO and B) a player such as Mayowa/Jeffcoat stepping up and showing rotational value.

Wright will likely be cheaper than Avril and I could realistically see the team switch Bruce to our full-time LEO, valuing the fact that KJ has ideal size, coverage skills, and versatility for our scheme. In that case, KPL won't be grooming for the take over of KJ's spot next year, he'll be working toward fulfilling Irvin's role as the starting SLB. That, in my opinion, would be a terrific fit for KPL and this defense as a whole.
NFL_Announcer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright is gone for sure.

Wagner might be gone because I could see some team overpaying for him and Seattle is not in a luxury to do that at the LBer position with the money invested in the secondary, QB (soon to be), and lines.
sirensong

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NFL_Announcer wrote:
Wright is gone for sure.

Wagner might be gone because I could see some team overpaying for him and Seattle is not in a luxury to do that at the LBer position with the money invested in the secondary, QB (soon to be), and lines.

Wagz is worth paying, hes got perenial pro bowler written all over him. Hes the one LB we should lockdown and fill in around him.

I don't think Russell is going to kill the cap the way we all think he will. You look at Kaep's deal and depending on what Newton gets it should be fairly reasonable all things considered.

The cap is also going to increase at a pretty solid rate the next couple years, Russellx2 and Wagz are who we should focus on locking down long term now.
Meeker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wright could be back. He is our most versatile LB having played all 3 LB spots and has the length that Carroll likes and no other LB has on the team. He also isn't the type of LB that is going to get paid a ton. That said, wouldn't be surprised or upset to see him go.

Malcolm Smith is as good as gone. He lacks the bulk to be an every down LB and we have similarly athletic backups already on the roster. He will use his SBMVP to get as much money as possible as he should.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malcolm is gone, especially depending on how Kevin Pierre-Louis plays this year. They are similar linebackers but KPL hasn't got the injury worries.
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can SEA-MIN talent-trade train continue once again.
similar to our FMMD trade.
LBs are our weakest spot, only Barr & Greenway (maybe) as solid options.
our Front Offices are close to due to when they worked in MIA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

Very doubtful we trade him. I'm sure we'd prefer to have him play for us the entire 2014 season, re-evaluate where he stands with the team, and get a future 4th round compensatory pick (in all likelihood) if we decide to let him walk. I'm not convinced we let him walk considering his versatility and football IQ.
outside_Insider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
NFL_Announcer wrote:
Wright is gone for sure.

Wagz is worth paying, hes got perenial pro bowler written all over him. Hes the one LB we should lockdown and fill in around him.

I don't think Russell is going to kill the cap the way we all think he will. You look at Kaep's deal and depending on what Newton gets it should be fairly reasonable all things considered.

The cap is also going to increase at a pretty solid rate the next couple years, Russellx2 and Wagz are who we should focus on locking down long term now.

There were games earlier in the year where Wagz was getting blamed for not being able to stop the run (TB & STL)..He may have been hurt, and picked it up later, but I certainly don't think anyone one LB on the team is a "must" for the future. I'd rather sink our money into the DLINE any day.

"We all we got, we all we need"
Tatupu_64

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outside_Insider wrote:
sirensong wrote:
NFL_Announcer wrote:
Wright is gone for sure.

There were games earlier in the year where Wagz was getting blamed for not being able to stop the run (TB & STL)..He may have been hurt, and picked it up later, but I certainly don't think anyone one LB on the team is a "must" for the future. I'd rather sink our money into the DLINE any day.
I tend to agree with the idea, but Wagner is so physically gifted and as the MLB calls the plays and leads that front 7. It would be nice to have consistency at Mike LB for the foreseeable future provide he earns it

^Rammy

BlaqOptic wrote:
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CriminalMind wrote:

I will definitely have my eye on K.J. Wright for the Vikes.

Greenway is getting looked at as a MLB and with Barr at SLB, Wright would be a good fit at WLB. Wright seems like the type of player Mike Zimmer would like at base WLB/nickel MLB, which is how he used Vontaze Burfict.

Im guessing a 5 year deal around $30 million will be the market rate for him, similar to Linval Joseph money. Though, 4-3 LBs are typically not valued highly. Seattle certainly has some tough decisions to make next offseason.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Seattle certainly has some tough decisions to make next offseason.

Nothing any other team won't be dealing with. We have 4 good/great players entering contract years: Cliff Avril, Byron Maxwell, Malcolm Smith, and K.J. Wright. One of Smith and Wright will be let go without question, leaving really only 3 of those guys to talk about. Whether we resign Avril will likely come down to how Irvin/Mayowa/Jeffcoat show up this year. I think Avril should be priority #1. Maxwell is very good and potentially a budding #1 CB, but with reports that Tharold Simon is the most impressive player so far at OTAs, it may not be that tough of a decision to just let Maxwell play out his contract and walk for big money.

The beauty of all of this is that CB and LB are the two positions that this front office has proven they can develop guys into starters. Local media has been raving about LB Kevin Pierre-Louis, LB Korey Toomer, and CB Tharold Simon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: