Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

This Aint Ravens Talk: All off topic conversation goes here!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
I liked it except for the last minute or so (basically from when the kids start talking). It certainly wasnt as bad as some people are saying it was.

But it would have been nice to get a bit more detail about what happened to the mother and what happened in Barney's situation.

WARNING: Minor spoilers for those who haven't seen HIMYMFinale...
Yeah... you could tell that those previous scenes were shot 9 years ago. They didn't really fit with everything.

But I agree. I really liked the episode. The people feeling blindsided I have to wonder what they expected. I mean, I had no true expectations, but I sort of thought how it ended would be a possibility. And the show has handled very "real" topics like that before. So there was plenty of precedence. Throw in some of the clues we got throughout this final season.

For me, that final episode really made me want to rewatch the first season though. For me, it was one of my favorite endings to a show I've ever watched. Answered all the questions I had except for how Barney took the results of that final sequence, how Ted got the horn, and what that final exchange was like at the end. Like I said, I would've LOVED a 2 hour episode. And given an extra hour... they could've given the mother her proper time, they could've given that final romantic gesture by Ted more time to fully develop, and they could've put a happy bow on everything for the people that we bound to not like the happily ever after sequence.

But at the end of the day, this ending probably felt just more "real life" than most endings to most shows. It ended with moving parts. It ended at a point where we could speculate how things would go after that... as opposed to pretending like somehow marriage and friends and life never get complicated and we never experience tragedy or pain or rehabilitation. Like life is a fairytale paved with a happily ever after.

While HIMYM had elements of the surreal within it, it never held punches when it faced the realities of the world. And that finale was no different. I think many people sort of expected it to end with a bow... and were disappointed that the creators were true to their tale to the end. That's not me. I loved the ending. While I hadn't many expectations, it certainly filled all my hopes. It didn't make me nearly as emotional as I was after the LOST finale, but that's moreso because it ended with action still to come. The ending was just the last chapter covered in HIMYM... vs a true ending to all things.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with all you said.

I do see how some people would feel that the last season was a bit of a waste considering it centred around a wedding for a couple that was doomed for failure, but I think that those people are looking at it a little too superficially

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
Agree with all you said.

I do see how some people would feel that the last season was a bit of a waste considering it centred around a wedding for a couple that was doomed for failure, but I think that those people are looking at it a little too superficially

Yup. And while I was sad to see that failure as well as the mother part.. That was real life stuff. And I think Ted's final words to his tale of HIMYM, "You spend all that time searching for something, but in the end... Sometimes you just sort of find what you're looking for." (Or something along those lines) and that happened with Marshall and Lily after moving to California for Art, then getting back together, then moving to Europe, and back. It happened with Barney after his divorce and consequent love child.... And it happened with Ted.. And Robin.

As Commisioner Gordon might have said if he'd seen this finale. "It wasn't the ending that we always wanted, but it was the ending that we deserved." Cool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIMYM SPOILERS AHEAD - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

I'm in the I loved it camp but I think they could have handled the last season better.

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the last season split into 2.

The first half being the lead up to the wedding with the midseason finale being the wedding and ending with the moment Ted saw the Mother on stage playing base.

The 2nd half of the season would have had whole episodes devoted to these storylines most of which occurred in the last 1 hour episode:

1. The Real Reason for Barney and Robin's Divorce: Barney discovers he has a love child after he and Robin return from their honeymoon. Seeing how much Barney loves his child and knowing she can never give him children Robin throws herself into her job and they drift apart before deciding to divorce. In the finale the Robin and Barney divorce seemed force to fit the final scenes. I have no problem with those final scenes but with how Barney's character developed I wanted to see a "real" reason for their divorce.

2. More storylines with the Mother and examining those near misses Ted and the Mother had before they finally met. As told from the Mother's point of view.

3. Another wedding, this time Ted and the Mother.

4. The Mother getting sick and finally passing away. I think that would have had me crying like a little girl if done right.

5. Robin returning to comfort Ted through his grief and how they reconnected and became friends and ultimately fell in love again which finally ended with the last few scenes we saw in the finale. The kids giving their blessing and Ted standing at Robin's doorstep with the Blue Horn. You could have included a blessing from Barney in their somewhere as well just to check all the boxes and really end on a good note.

You could easily have filled 8-10 episodes with what occurred after the wedding in that 1 hour finale. Don't get me wrong, I loved it. I guess I just wanted more of what I saw and I mean that in a good way. I have most of the season's on DVD so I will be completing the collection and then rewatching from the beginning.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To piggyback off the conversation about TV shows... has anyone checked out that semi-new show called Intelligence? I'm making my way through this first season... and it just sort of reminds me of what I got from a previous JJ Abrams involved show, ALIAS. It's probably a little more realistic... while still being far fetched enough for it to be clear cut science fiction. But it's not necessarily about realism as much as it is about people and what defines a person. It's about people, and choices, and relationships, and action. Definitely has Abram's fingerprints all over it.

I just haven't heard much about this show from most anybody. It premiered for the Winter-Spring session... which probably killed some of it's chance for hype, I suppose. I think it's a quality show. It's clearly not LOST. But I think the show definitely seems to have some potential. Kind of wasn't the biggest fan of the pilot (was okay) but I thought it definitely picks up and pulls you in.

Anyways, just figured I'd see if anyone else was watching it and what they thought about it. I'm very much hoping it doesn't get cancelled. I really hope it gets renewed for at least another season. Give the show a chance to build some buzz. Maybe put it on Netflix or Amazon Prime over the summer and see if you can't return the following season with a captivated audience.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started watching it but dropped it from my rotation after one episode was particularly ridiculous (episode 5 I think).

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drd23 wrote:
I started watching it but dropped it from my rotation after one episode was particularly ridiculous (episode 5 I think).

Were you a fan of ALIAS? By chance?

And what shows make up your rotation... just curious.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
drd23 wrote:

Were you a fan of ALIAS? By chance?

Yes, but I'm sure my tastes have changed since then and new shows of similar quality and storyline don't get the benefit of nostalgia that Alias does Laughing

Quote:
And what shows make up your rotation... just curious.

Among others:
GoT
Mad Med
Community
Person of Interest
House of Cards
Vikings
Scandal (although I'm perilously close to dropping it too)
Suburgatory
The Americans
Suits
Continuum
House of Lies
Survivor
Orphan Black
The Mentalist
NCIS

In no way do I consider myself a TV snob but I do have a threshold of believability and quality of acting/writing that a show generally needs to stay above for me to continue to enjoy it and Intelligence met neither

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. I guess I don't have the whole Nostalgia with Alias. As I watched the series on Netflix probably last year some time. Of the two shows, I find Intelligence to be a little more believable. Though I suppose Alias sort of grew into the more extreme level of un-believe-ability later in the series. It did start off rather tame, I suppose.

That's my only issue with Intelligence. I feel their plotlines are a bit too rushed. What could take a mini-ark within a season... is covered in two episodes. Though I suppose I might also be a little used to that as well... after having watched "Falling Skies", which, being Summer programming has sort of used that technique as opposed to really latching onto the details until they were exhausted and then moving onto the next stage.

If I had to use a metaphor... I'd say Intelligence sort of strikes me as a girl who kisses with a lot of tongue upfront on the first kiss. Having kissed enough girls like that, meh.. I've come to adapt to it in some ways. I prefer the build up and then passion later, but... hey.

My hope is that, given a full season commitment... as opposed to the half season they were given... they can properly tackle their plotlines without rushing it... because they'd have an order of 22-26 episodes to space the plot... as opposed to just having 13 to try and build a reliable and captivated audience. They rushed the unrealistic parts of the show (which I mostly expected... seeing as its an Abrams influenced show) before their audience was properly captivated.

It becomes much easier to suspend disbelief when you care enough about the characters. You're willing to give a little more leeway on the concept the more and more you fall in bed with the show and the story.

Just my take. So I definitely can understand you backing out. I remember earlier on in the show... I wasn't a particular fan of his partner, Riley... then I felt she started to grow more into her "role" as Riley. I stuck around because I wanted to give "Sawyer" a chance... for LOST. And then I really started to like Lillian Strand's character, but especially the father and son scientists. Just finished the first season. A little expected.

I'm also not juggling many shows though...
==================

In terms of your list...
Continuum was one that I was interested in watching. Especially since it's a Sci Fi (I won't spell it that other way) show. And they tend to do a really good job of sticking with their properties and being loyal to what they have. As I've gotten older I've realized my love for Science Fiction and I've also realized that many networks are bottom line guys. I've been far too disappointed by show cancellations in the past to care about watching shows live.

Intelligence was only something I watched because I haven't been able to stream CW on my computer for some reason and it was conveniently on the same site as HIMYM... and the concept kind of intrigued me.

Usually I tend to allow a show to at least get two to three seasons under its belt before supporting it. I mean... If a network isn't going to support a show, why should I get emotionally attached to it.

The last straw was probably this TV show I was watching called "Drive", you can't even find it in a simple google search, that's how fast it got killed. It had Nathan Fillion, who was also a part of a show (Firefly) that was unfairly cancelled early. Drive was cancelled after only releasing 4 episodes. The show looked like it could be pretty darn good IMO. Axed after it was bounced around from Sunday to Monday to Wednesday... or something like that. Was the most ridiculous attempt at trying to schedule a program I've ever seen... and it was axed because of "poor ratings". Tis why I will never watch Fox TV programming ever again.

Anyways... I'm on a long series of tangents. My point? I have none. Except that I'll probably be delving into Continuum soon. I'm already watching Mad Men, thinking about House of Cards... but I'm not sure I want something quite that "heavy" right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylG6D6zSE9M

Definitely need a ship in the harbor to do this during the next ravens game
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... this happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54FXh1oT6Ig
Tom Brady Tribute
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG I love Cary Williams. Laughing

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Go on

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Go on

Ahh, just read it. Hilarious. Though he's always been more of a talker/showboater than he was a player IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here that lives near Baltimore or in it that could tell me the expected forecast for Ocean City, MD this weekend?

Headed to the beach this weekend. According to weather.com...I picked a terrible weekend for it Crying or Very sad

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 29 of 30

Jump to: