Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OLB Khalil Mack - 1rst Round pick.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
S&B Bleeder wrote:
I see we have a lot of Clowney/Mack comparison in this thread. When the season starts I would like to see a Clowney/Mack comparison thread. Different positions I know but some comparison could be made.
I don't know at this time whose on the better team or has better player support and that will be a factor.
Some prognosticators felt Mack should have been #1 and there are those who crapped on that. No offense meant. If not #1 maybe just a better all around player. Now is too early. So is camp and preseason though some will try as this is a forum.

I'd like to see this too. I mean they are playing the same position so it's not as bad as all that.

I don't see much comparison at all. Clowney is going to rushing standing which he has never done and Mack will be rushing both standing and down which he did a lot of in college. Although, I think Mack is in the more advantageous position, only because Mack is the exact type of player DA has experience with he has the edge. Crennel has never had a player like Clowney and will be making it up as he goes. If Mack outperforms Clowney the world will lose it's mind but it may take Clowney, the Texans and Crennel a season to figure out how best to deploy Clowney. I'm guessing if Clowney is slow out of the gate the Texans will switch to a 43 in 2015, Watt be damned.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
S&B Bleeder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chali21 wrote:
S&B Bleeder wrote:
I see we have a lot of Clowney/Mack comparison in this thread. When the season starts I would like to see a Clowney/Mack comparison thread. Different positions I know but some comparison could be made.
I don't know at this time whose on the better team or has better player support and that will be a factor.
Some prognosticators felt Mack should have been #1 and there are those who crapped on that. No offense meant. If not #1 maybe just a better all around player. Now is too early. So is camp and preseason though some will try as this is a forum.

I'd like to see this too. I mean they are playing the same position so it's not as bad as all that.

Are they playing the same position? Clowney is a down lineman and unlikely to play LB. Mack is a LB who will play as a down lineman on occasion. Bonez says he'll play standing up but that's not the case of a DE. Maybe the comparison should start now. Preseason in August only two months away. Two months too long.
NCOUGHMAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
S&B Bleeder wrote:

I don't see much comparison at all. Clowney is going to rushing standing which he has never done and Mack will be rushing both standing and down which he did a lot of in college. Although, I think Mack is in the more advantageous position, only because Mack is the exact type of player DA has experience with he has the edge. Crennel has never had a player like Clowney and will be making it up as he goes. If Mack outperforms Clowney the world will lose it's mind but it may take Clowney, the Texans and Crennel a season to figure out how best to deploy Clowney. I'm guessing if Clowney is slow out of the gate the Texans will switch to a 43 in 2015, Watt be damned.
or take a page from the niners book....
Clown-Aldon
Justin smith- watt

green24 wrote:
NCOUGHMAN > all of you

Raider X wrote:
This is football, not pussology 101
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S&B Bleeder wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
S&B Bleeder wrote:

Are they playing the same position? Clowney is a down lineman and unlikely to play LB. Mack is a LB who will play as a down lineman on occasion. Bonez says he'll play standing up but that's not the case of a DE. Maybe the comparison should start now. Preseason in August only two months away. Two months too long.

The Texans worked Clowney out standing up. He'll be an OLB in their defense just like Mario Williams, when they converted from a 43 to 34. Crennel has always run a permanent 34 (but of course he may now some hybrid). The consensus is that Clowney will play OLB. Typically, a 43 DE (Woodley) will transition to an OLB in a 34, UTs become 34 DE (S.Richardson).

Inevitably people will make the comparison but I personally think it's a stretch. Clowney will be an 34 ROLB & Mack will be a 43 SAM that converts to DE on passing downs or situations. I highly doubt Clowney will be in coverage. He will do the ONE thing he always did in college, rush the passer. Mack will do it all, just like he did in college. He has excellent coverage & ball skills for a LB.

Bonez wrote:
Teams that win Superbowls and make the playoffs aren't picking in the Top 5, clearly
Baggabonez

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCOUGHMAN wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
Chali21 wrote:
S&B Bleeder wrote:

or take a page from the niners book....
Clown-Aldon
Justin smith- watt

+1
or this. LOL! But Clowney will definitely not be a 34 DE

Bonez wrote:
OakleyCap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
Raidin wrote:
Solid article, although he leaves out arguable the most valuable stat from the combine when looking at speed edge rushers - the 3 cone. Mack had a 7.07, Miller had a 6.7, very big difference and I think it's noticeable on the tape. Still think Mack will be very good though, just not sure he'll be in the Von Miller league.

Miller is better laterally and in coverage. Mack is likely stronger and will be better against the run.

I'm not a huge fan of the Von Miller comparison for Mack. I think Terrell Suggs is a better comparison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: