Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2015 NFL Draft - Scouting Reports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JWingate

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: 2015 NFL Draft - Scouting Reports Reply with quote

I am starting early this year with hopes to actually get a decent amount done. I will be basically doing Strength, Weakness, Overall for the scouting of the players.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Name: Melvin Gordon III
Position: RB
College: Wisconsin
Height: 6í1
Weight: 213
Grade: 89/100 (Late 1st - Early 2nd Round)
Comparison: Jamaal Charles/Reggie Bush

Athletic Ability
Melvin Gordon is a great athlete and sets himself apart from the rest of the running back class through his athletic ability. He is able to change directions at the drop of a hat, which leaves defenders slipping and grasping for air. His balance and coordination is great as well not losing his legs from under him often, but you will see it happen, I would chalk it up to the turf though.

Competitiveness/Leadership
He is a great leader, which is evident since the entire offense ran through him. The production he put up is ridiculous for any player especially when everyone was expecting him to get the ball, but he also had an ineffective quarterback at the helm which would normally hurt a runner. Gordon went on a 10 game run where he didnít get less than 120 yards on the ground with less than 1 TD, if that is not consistency than I do not know what is. He is very team oriented looking to make a block for him and is even seen making some clutch blocks at the end of games to allow his quarterback more time.

Mental Alertness
Like stated previously, the offense went through Gordon and if he was not mentally alert then he would not have had the ability to do such a thing. He has good instincts for finding the hole and whether he should bounce the play to the outside or keep it inside.

Strength/Explosion
A very durable player throughout his career not often you will see this player come off the field or not take the field due to an injury. He has a great body to take a pounding, almost looks like DeMarco Murray body wise with a long slender frame. Gordon is also a very explosive player when on the field, if not the most explosive player on the field at any given time. He has the ability to take the ball to the house whenever he touches the ball.

Position Skills
In order to be a great player like Gordon is, you must have a great skill for the position which he has, but he is not perfect. I would like to see him become relevant at pass blocking. Gordon has some pretty horrific whiffs when it comes to pass blocking which he is going to need to correct if he want to be an every down starter in the NFL. He also needs to work on his ability to find holes during his inside running, he is better when he bounces the run to the outside and finds open space. I didnít watch him as a receiver often, but when running routes they were crisp and he was often more than not his quarterback just didnít find him. Gordon is a very elusive runner with great cutback ability which makes him very dangerous on outside running, but if he finds a seam on the inside he could be even more dangerous.

Overall
This kid is going to be a superstar in the NFL. He has the ability to do anything you ask of him, outside of maybe pass blocking, which I believe will cause him to fall in the draft. I believe he can be a decent pass blocker in the NFL because I have seen him make some pretty clutch pass blocks for his QB in clutch situations, but more often than not he loses form and whiffs. Probably the most dynamic running back to enter the draft in a few years. I would love to see him used more in the passing game at the next level because he could be scary good after the catch. Gordon has the opportunity to go in the top 10 of the draft or he could fall to the 2nd round, it will be fun to watch where he does go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: