Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Re-Do

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:43 am    Post subject: 2014 Draft Re-Do Reply with quote

Some posters weren't happy with the selections made last weekend so I wanted to give everybody a chance to post who they would have taken in the 2014 NFL Draft. Who knows - in a couple of years maybe we can take a look at this and see if we could have improve upon the haul.

Rules: You can only draft players who were taken at or after the selection in real life. No taking XSF or Jordan Matthews at 45.
You can only select for picks 45, 64, 108, 123, 132, 172, 199, 208 and 227. There's no way to predict who would trade back and you can't keep the original picks since it creates a parallel universe.

Here's mine

2 (45) - Jace Amaro (Texas Tech): Amaro is exactly what this team needs. He's a willing blocker and a plus athlete. He doesn't stretch the field like Ebron but he's more than capable in the open field. He allows us to move on from Zach Miller who is only signed until 2015.

2 (64) - Billy Turner (North Dakota St): I went with Turner over Moses here because Moses has a rep for being a poor run blocker and that won't cut it in Seattle. Turner brings more of an attitude and tenacity to the O-Line. He can also play RT or RG which is a huge plus for a team who doesn't have any set starters.

4 (108) - Martavis Bryant (Clemson): I really like the original Marsh pick but the chance to add a guy of Bryant's height and athleticism is too much to pass up at this point. He needs a ton of work but in the mean time can still be an effective red-zone threat just because of his size.

4 (123) - Kevin Pierre-Louis (Boston College): I have my eye on another guy at 132 so I don't mind reaching for KPL here who I thought was a great pick originally.

4 (132) - Brent Urban (Virginia): He's raw but he's got a great combo of size and strength. He's a more athletic version of Red Bryant and can play multiple spots along the line. He's not much of a pass rusher in that he won't get many sacks but he's sure to disrupt the pocket with his length.

5 (172) - Wesley Johnson (Vanderbilt): He went one pick after at 173. He's a good fit for our offense although admittedly I don't see him as having all-pro potential. I like him because he's a safe pick. At worst he'll be a valuable career back-up who can fill-in at all three interior positions and be a starter when needed.

6 (199) - Andrew Jackson (WKU): Do we need two linebackers? Probably not. But this kid's lateral agility and toughness is something I covet. He would have gone much higher but I think teams were scared off by some things they deemed character concerns. He has to learn to be a team-player and how to contribute on special teams but this is the point in the draft where I don't mind taking risks on guys like this.

6 (208) - Eric Pinkins (San Diego St): I left this pick as is because you're not going to find another prospect with his size and athleticism at this point in the draft. He's a project and a year on the practice squad will benefit him but the potential is immense.

7 (227) - Trevor Reilly (Utah): I liked the original pick of the FB Small but I really wanted to add a pass rusher at some point in the draft and this is my last pick. I really see Reilly as a guy who can be a Leo with the benefit of a NFL Strength and Conditioning program. He has a ton of versatility and will contribute right away as a leader and special teams ace.

Enjoy! Didn't put a ton of work into this so feel free to critique. I just sort of looked at our original selection and then looked at the next 10 or 20 picks and thought about what I would have done with those guys all on the board. I did it in order and didn't go back and change picks because I didn't want hindsight to be a factor.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
Shaq

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 (45) - DE/DT Stephon Tuitt (Notre Dame)
- I really wanted Tuitt to be the pick here, and was kind of upset that Pittsburgh selected him right after. I think he would be a great fit as Red's replacement at the 5-technique, and obviously he is versatile enough to move inside during pass rushing situations. Despite the motor concerns, I think that PC and Dan Quinn can get the most out of him.

2 (64) - C/G Marcus Martin (USC)
- Offensive line was the right choice here, but I think that we chose the wrong one. Martin could have gone late first/early second and there was a major guard run in the 3rd round. I think Martin is the second best guard in the draft, in addition to being the best center, so getting him here is a great value. He would probably beat out Carpenter for the LG spot and can take over for Unger if we decide to move on from him later.

4 (108) - WR Martavis Bryant (Clemson)
- Tremendous potential with his size/speed combo. Not as much of a playmaker as Paul Richardson, but I think he could be just as great of a deep threat and gives us another big body on the outside.

4 (123) - WR Kevin Norwood (Alabama)
- With the gamble that we're taking with Bryant, I think Norwood was the right pick here. Reliable, no-nonsense, and hardworking is the complete antithesis of Bryant, so Norwood makes sense as the complementary pick.

4 (132) - OLB Kevin Pierre-Louis (Boston College)
- Loved this pick, no need to change it.

5 (172) - LEO Devon Kennard (USC)
- The Marsh pick was decent, but there were better players on the board that made him expendable. Homer here, but if it weren't for injuries and position changes, I think Kennard would have gone much higher. He's a hard worker and has excellent character, and would be great depth at the LEO position.

6 (199) - OT Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (McGill)
- We haven't taken a tackle yet, but I think LDT is an intriguing prospect. Draft him here and hopefully Cable can develop him, who knows, he may end up as the starter at RT.

6 (208) - SS/CB Eric Pinkins (San Diego State)
- Liked the pick, no need to change it.

7 (227) - LEO Christian Jones (Florida State)
- Another possible LEO candidate, or he could end up playing Sam linebacker. I was a huge fan of Jones in high school and at Florida State, and if nothing, he would be a great special teams guy.

That would be the perfect draft for me, especially if we still get Dion Bailey and Jackson Jeffcoat as UDFAs. Ideally, I would have rather stayed at 32 and picked Marqise Lee, as I would have much rather have him than the two extra 4th rounders which would become Bryant and Norwood.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like both those better than what we did.

The really annoying thing for me was trading out of Matthews only to take Richardson. Matthews is EXACTLY what this receiving core need and has pro bowl capability, far too much of a drop to Richardson to make that deal.

Also really like Martin over Britt, would have given us a starting guard day 1 and insurance for Unger. Instead of a complete gamble.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I watched Martin the less I was impressed with him. He's SO weak at the point of attack

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
sirensong

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
The more I watched Martin the less I was impressed with him. He's SO weak at the point of attack

He's still SOO much better than Britt, even if he has less upside. We need help NOW and Britt is a MASSIVE gamble, Martin is not.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirensong wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

He's still SOO much better than Britt, even if he has less upside. We need help NOW and Britt is a MASSIVE gamble, Martin is not.
Have you watched film on both of them? I don't see Martin offering an immediate upgrade at guard. Britt can actually get movement in the run game, he has more potential imo

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
SoS

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Britt is undoubtedly more pro-ready than Martin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: