Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 79th pick, the Ravens select... Terrance Brooks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janky

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this pick.

I think both Elam and Brooks can play interchangeably around the LOS and Deep Safety.
aussie_raven77

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone see the Ravens website interview with him? He seems like a great guy but the bit that stood out was that he looks really well set. Great looking size.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Meet_The_Rookies_S_Terrence_Brooks/48057546-fd02-419f-a55b-4c0282d35626
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aussie_raven77 wrote:
Did anyone see the Ravens website interview with him? He seems like a great guy but the bit that stood out was that he looks really well set. Great looking size.
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/Meet_The_Rookies_S_Terrence_Brooks/48057546-fd02-419f-a55b-4c0282d35626

Yeah, what stood out to me more was that his agent must have been an idiot or something. Why would his agent tell Brooks that he was in that late first round conversation? Like... I didn't see a single site put him anyone above pick 48, let alone late first/early 2nd.

That's just asking to get the players hopes up. But yeah, I liked his personality. Grounded, but still passionate. I'm looking forward to seeing how he and Elam operate in that backhalf.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Which agent are you going to sign with: the one who tells you you can be a first round pick or the one who says you are realistically looking at being a 3rd round selection?
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this kid had ball skills, he'd have easily been a first round talent. But he doesn't; his hands need MUCH improvement. I'm not sure how easy that is to work on.

Everything else about him indicates he'll be a good starter.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Laughing

Which agent are you going to sign with: the one who tells you you can be a first round pick or the one who says you are realistically looking at being a 3rd round selection?

None of that would/should really matter, honestly. You should be looking at what they've done for previous players, not where they project you.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:
Laughing

None of that would/should really matter, honestly. You should be looking at what they've done for previous players, not where they project you.

Basically.

I mean they sign with an agent usually before much of the draft process. So at that point in time a players draft value isn't set in stone in any particular way.

But if I could get a glimpse into my actual draft value in the future and I knew my agent was way off from everyone else's projections. I wouldn't feel like I could trust his judgment. Clearly he must not have done the appropriate research.

Would I want to be an upcoming FA and have a fair market value contract in hand and my agent tell me I could be that deal in FA by a good $20M, only to lose $15M in the process? Because if the guy is about building hopes and not doing the correct research, that's exactly what he might tell me and exactly what could happen. Which is why I would prefer the guy who gives me the truth over the guy that gives me hope. I can deal with a slight letdown or even being overly surprised by circumstance, but being off by such a big difference would be the most disappointing thing IMO.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
If this kid had ball skills, he'd have easily been a first round talent. But he doesn't; his hands need MUCH improvement. I'm not sure how easy that is to work on.

Just having him spend a couple of hours a day standing 30 yards downfield of a jugs machine and launching balls at him should improve his hands, at least a little. He may never be a natural catcher, but practice makes better.

The guy can fly around the field, which is exactly what you want in a FS, and even if all he ever does is bat down passes, he'll still be a valuable player for the Ravens. I think he will get INTs, though. Not as many as Ed Reed, but a decent number.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Just having him spend a couple of hours a day standing 30 yards downfield of a jugs machine and launching balls at him should improve his hands, at least a little. He may never be a natural catcher, but practice makes better.

The guy can fly around the field, which is exactly what you want in a FS, and even if all he ever does is bat down passes, he'll still be a valuable player for the Ravens. I think he will get INTs, though. Not as many as Ed Reed, but a decent number.

Tbqh... I'm not really worried about him getting his hands on too many interceptions. I like Brooks for his versatility to play at the LOS as well as deep in single high situations, but I think Matt Elam is definitely the better playmaking threat. So he's going to be the guy that we want to most utilize as the roving safety IMO. So moving him around in that Bernard Pollard role (the role Reed had before playing the deep safety role), should allow Elam to use his instincts and make plays at the same frequency he did when he was in college.

I like the versatility for our safeties to be very interchangeable, but Elam is a playmaker... and Brooks wasn't as much of a playmaker in college (INTs, FFs, FRs, etc) so I'd try to build the secondary in a way that can allow both players to move around and see multiple roles, but will normally have Elam utilized as the roamer. See what he can do to wreck havoc with Brooks having his back. Basically Elam would be our Lamarcus Joyner.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

Tbqh... I'm not really worried about him getting his hands on too many interceptions. I like Brooks for his versatility to play at the LOS as well as deep in single high situations, but I think Matt Elam is definitely the better playmaking threat. So he's going to be the guy that we want to most utilize as the roving safety IMO. So moving him around in that Bernard Pollard role (the role Reed had before playing the deep safety role), should allow Elam to use his instincts and make plays at the same frequency he did when he was in college.

I like the versatility for our safeties to be very interchangeable, but Elam is a playmaker... and Brooks wasn't as much of a playmaker in college (INTs, FFs, FRs, etc) so I'd try to build the secondary in a way that can allow both players to move around and see multiple roles, but will normally have Elam utilized as the roamer. See what he can do to wreck havoc with Brooks having his back. Basically Elam would be our Lamarcus Joyner.

I liken the roles I'd like to see them in as those played by Polamalu (Elam) and Ryan Clark (Brooks). Clark's coverage ability allowed Troy to roam and make plays, but Clark was never really a playmaker himself.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
diamondbull424 wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
wackywabbit wrote:

I liken the roles I'd like to see them in as those played by Polamalu (Elam) and Ryan Clark (Brooks). Clark's coverage ability allowed Troy to roam and make plays, but Clark was never really a playmaker himself.

Except Brooks is a lot more athletic than Clark ever was but yeah I would like to see that as well. Let Elam roam around the LoS and make plays while Brooks holds down the deep middle.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: