Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Position Battles and Salary Cap Implications (Focus on WR)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Position Battles and Salary Cap Implications (Focus on WR) Reply with quote

We're at the second dead point in the season now where we're sitting around waiting for things to really pick up again. Camp will be starting soon and this foster a lot of discussion around what players will be retained and what players will be let go of because of a deep roster. One interesting aspect that gets overlooked is a player's contract when talking about who makes the team or gets cut. I'm not saying Seattle will keep a guy because he's more expensive, but it gives an indication of their intentions with a guy.

Two big position battles this upcoming season are at RB and WR. Some will argue TE is as well, let me tell you why I think it isn't:

Anthony McCoy signed a 1 year, 1.35M with a 400k signing bonus. So if we cut him, it only costs us 400k right?
Wrong. McCoy's contract is completely guaranteed. He see's every penny regardless of what he does here. Seattle wouldn't guarantee that sort of money if he wasn't sticking around. Only way he leaves is via trade imo.

We just restructured Miller and we've already paid him a large roster bonus (1.75M) so I can't imagine he's going.

Luke Willson is the guy that will grab the 3rd spot. Sure, there will be competition. And if Harnish or someone else truly outplays him as a move TE, we'll cut him. But the chances of that seem very, very low.

WR on the other hand seems wide open. Our true commitments are to:
Percy Harvin
Doug Baldwin
Paul Richardson

Jermaine Kearse and Kevin Norwood seem like virtual locks to me, but crazier things have happened

The true battle is at 6, and this is where I think the majority of the discussion should come. Who makes the roster?
Sidney Rice (dead money if cut: 150k)
Ricardo Lockette
Taylor Price
Bryan Walters
Chris Matthews (dead money if cut: 10k)
Phil Bates
Arceto Clark

None of those guys have any serious cap implications if they're cut. Lockette offers big value on special teams, but he's not a natural WR if you ask me. Rice has the experience, but we'll see how he comes back from injury. Matthews and Bates both have solid shots imo as well

Do you think we carry 6?
If we carry 6, who has the best chance of making the roster?
Does anyone expect Norwood or Kearse to be cut?

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kearse would have to be horrible in preseason not to make it. Rookie contract and played great last year as our #3-4, steadily improving. He's a virtual lock, just as much as Richardson IMO.

The last two spots are down to Rice, Lockette, and Norwood. Norwood would seemingly have a great shot, as for #6...who knows.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone saying WR was a huge. I think drafting a player like Richardson was acceptable move. But my thoughts are they try to hide one or 2 of these guys on IR this year similar to what they've done the last 2 years.

Percy
Baldwin (potential trade if Prich blows up)
Richardson
Kearse
Norwood (potential IR guy)
Rice- Matthews duke it out for this spot. Its between these guys because they are very different type of receiver. The other guys are very similar in size and speed. No one is really as big as these 2.
Tooki

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TE is pretty much fixed. IMO Miller and McCoy are locks if they are their usual selves and Luke Willson rounds out the #3 spot because of his athleticism and actual NFL production.

Chop Chop is almost guaranteed a spot as well. He too has actual NFL production and he contributes to ST.
sirensong

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy
Baldwin
Richardson
Kearse
Norwood

and whoever makes the most plays in pre season. Last spot goes the a playmaker someone who can give us actual production. I think Rice will be tough to beat out. We have a ton of youth, that group needs a vet leader and Sid has respect in that room and can be a #2 or 3 when healthy.

Chop Chop is a lock to me, and Norwood brings potential at WR and ST ability. Barring injury or a breakthrough I think the group is pretty set.
SoS

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the notion that Percy, PRich, and Baldwin are stone-cold locks. IMO Kearse and Norwood are in the same tier as virtual locks. Kearse has proven he can play at this level, he's cheap, and he plays special teams.

That 6th spot comes down to the receiver with size who proves most valuable, which should come down to Lockette, Rice, and Matthews. I think Rice is at a pretty big disadvantage considering he's the most expensive to retain, he doesn't play special teams, and he's very unreliable to stay on the field. He's going to need a big preseason to claim that spot.

I personally think Lockette has the best chance, because he's cheap, study on special teams, and has shown the ability to be a situational mismatch player. Matthews could certainly surprise (I hope he does), but I think what keeps him off the roster is his questionable ability on ST.

Price and Bates have next to no chance.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I can see happening is Seattle stashing Rice on the PUP for 6 weeks. This would allow us to really only have to choose between Matthews and Lockette. If neither shines, we bring Rice in

I know SoS still sees potential in Lockette, but I get the feeling Seattle is confident in what he is:
A tall, excessively fast and physical track stud who works really hard. He does not have natural hands and he looks awkward when he has to run routes that require a lot of hip flexion. With that said, he's good enough to be a 6th WR and he's killer on special teams

Matthews is going to have to show a good amount of promise as a possession and redzone threat to make it over Lockette if it boils down to those two

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
SoS

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
I know SoS still sees potential in Lockette, but I get the feeling Seattle is confident in what he is:
A tall, excessively fast and physical track stud who works really hard. He does not have natural hands and he looks awkward when he has to run routes that require a lot of hip flexion. With that said, he's good enough to be a 6th WR and he's killer on special teams

I actually agree with all of that. My pimping of Channel 83 is more of a joke than anything else Laughing We've pretty much seen what he can do in this league and it's pretty much everything you highlighted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: