Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 218th pick the Ravens select... Michael Companaro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: With the 218th pick the Ravens select... Michael Companaro Reply with quote

TRADE: With the 218th pick the Ravens select... Michael Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest

Quote:
HEIGHT: 5'9"
ARM LENGTH: 30"
WEIGHT: 192 LBS.
HANDS: 9 3/4"

BOTTOM LINE Undersized, slippery, competitive inside receiver who brings a possession element to the slot. Lacks ideal explosiveness and will have to prove himself on special teams to earn an extended look.
-Nolan Nawrocki

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite pick of the draft, much faster than he's given credit for (4.46 at the combine) productive despite playing with a QB who had the arm strength of my grandmother
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling it now -- Campanaro becomes one of Flacco's favorite targets rather quickly.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
I'm calling it now -- Campanaro becomes one of Flacco's favorite targets rather quickly.

Joe's very own Wes Welker?

A strong comparison to make, but I'm sure it will be made, if Campanaro starts having any sort of success. If he's a guy that knows how to get open on underneath routes, then he'll be invaluable to Joe and to the Ravens.

In a West Coast style offense, he's the sort of player who could make things work. You have Torrey and Jacoby taking the top off defenses, then you have Steve Smith, Dennis Pitta, Marlon Brown and this guy to target on short and intermediate routes.

Clearly the Ravens like him a lot, to trade back into the draft and get him.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

A strong comparison to make, but I'm sure it will be made, if Campanaro starts having any sort of success. If he's a guy that knows how to get open on underneath routes, then he'll be invaluable to Joe and to the Ravens.

In a West Coast style offense, he's the sort of player who could make things work. You have Torrey and Jacoby taking the top off defenses, then you have Steve Smith, Dennis Pitta, Marlon Brown and this guy to target on short and intermediate routes.

Agreed. And while I think the Welker comparisons are a bit strong, they play a similar game. Campanaro, like Welker and like you said, thrives on being slippery and getting open on the underneath routes. We've typically had Rice playing this role for us in the past out of the backfield and we know how much Joe loved him there -- now if we have Campanaro playing that role, I could see a similar chemistry. He is a guy that competes and seems to be a true "football player". Could very easily see him hanging with Joe and Pitta off the field which would help that chemistry even more.

I think this is going to be one of our better late round picks in a while. I think his role fit is perfect for us.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND I just read (others probably already knew this) that he's a Maryland guy out of River Hill High in Clarksville (basically Columbia).

Win.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ozzie said in the presser that Campanaro can return kicks as well, so that's another plus. He'll present a very different sort of threat to Jacoby, on that front.

My guess is that he'll be a good ST guy too. I just hope he makes the roster and doesn't get stashed on IR for the year.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
Ozzie said in the presser that Campanaro can return kicks as well, so that's another plus. He'll present a very different sort of threat to Jacoby, on that front.

My guess is that he'll be a good ST guy too. I just hope he makes the roster and doesn't get stashed on IR for the year.

I could definitely see him making the roster. His skillset is a bit more niche than say a guy like Mellette.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Mancunian Raven wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Agreed. And while I think the Welker comparisons are a bit strong, they play a similar game. Campanaro, like Welker and like you said, thrives on being slippery and getting open on the underneath routes. We've typically had Rice playing this role for us in the past out of the backfield and we know how much Joe loved him there -- now if we have Campanaro playing that role, I could see a similar chemistry. He is a guy that competes and seems to be a true "football player". Could very easily see him hanging with Joe and Pitta off the field which would help that chemistry even more.

I think this is going to be one of our better late round picks in a while. I think his role fit is perfect for us.

Just a few combine blind comparisons

40 Time: 4.43, 4.46, 4.65, 4.43
Bench Press: 19, 20, NA, 16
Vertical: 41, 39, 30, 34
Broad Jump: 126, 122, NA, 126
3 Cone: 6.72, 6.77, 7.09, 6.95
Twenty Shuttle: 4.13, 4.11, 4.01, 4.35
60 Shuttle: 11.33, 11.31, NA, NA

Player A: Torrey Smith
Player B: Michael Campanaro
Player C: Wes Welker
Player D: Sammy Watkins
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:

Well hopefully Dennis Pitta doesn't get upset about that Wink

RIP Dennis Pitta's hip. You will be missed on 3rd downs Sad
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Hey now, I didn't say THE favorite.. just "one of" Wink Maybe Camaparo can be the Alan to Joe & Pitta's Phil & Stu.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Hey now, I didn't say THE favorite.. just "one of" Wink Maybe Camaparo can be the Alan to Joe & Pitta's Phil & Stu.

Yikes. Nobody wants to be the Alan of the group Laughing Laughing

But hey I like the way our skill positions are looking at this point:

Torrey/Steve/Jacoby/Marlon/Companaro
Pitta/Daniels
Rice/BP/Forsett

RIP Dennis Pitta's hip. You will be missed on 3rd downs Sad
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How great a day was it yesterday for Mike Campanaro?

It's awesome to be able to get boyhood Ravens fans on the team. I believe CJ Mosley also followed the Ravens, growing up. Would have been better if Terrance West had made it too. Damned Browns.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After rewatching the highlights I could find on this guy, I can see why he lasted into the 7th. He looks slower on the field than his 40 suggests and he doesn't have the wiggle of a guy like Welker (who is of course, elite at it). He doesn't catch many passes away from his body, so drops could be an issue. Still, he's tough and looks like he could be a good route runner (the highlights don't always show how he gets open Laughing).

At first, I was thinking he'd have a great shot at the roster since we traded back in for him, but it's going to tight and I'm not sure he gets in with what should be a tough competition at WR. Kubiak's offense opts for the extra TE over another WE so I don't see us keeping more WRs than we did last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: