Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 175th pick the Ravens select... John Urschel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: With the 175th pick the Ravens select... John Urschel Reply with quote

With the 175th pick the Ravens select... John Urschel, C, Penn St

NFL Combine wrote:
HEIGHT: 6'3"
ARM LENGTH: 33"
WEIGHT: 313 LBS.
HANDS: 10 3/8"

BOTTOM LINE Underpowered, quick-footed, scrappy, zone blocker with the smarts, movement skill and competitive zeal to emerge as a very efficient pro. Displays the quickness highly desired at the pivot and might prove to be best at center.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamison Hensley is calling this guy our Center of the future. Not sure about that, but it seems like he's got the good for the ZBS that Kubiak runs. A decent depth selection, at the very least. Because the Ravens' O-line group wasn't really built to run the ZBS last year.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As opposed to calling this guy "center of the future", I'm going to call him "Big Drake"... It's going to catch on.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends who went to PSU said this guy can be quality. Definitely need depth on the interior.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a project player to me. But atleast he's smart so I would be willing to bet if we lined him up tomorrow and had our ILB's try to run a cross-dog blitz, he'd atleast block someone and not let the Mike come in free every single time like Gradkowski did last year in the Cinci and GB games.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Seems like a project player to me. But atleast he's smart so I would be willing to bet if we lined him up tomorrow and had our ILB's try to run a cross-dog blitz, he'd atleast block someone and not let the Mike come in free every single time like Gradkowski did last year in the Cinci and GB games.

But a better project player than Ramon Harewood or David Mims, I'd say.

Urschel clearly has the smarts to pick up any offensive scheme given to him, and once the Ravens strengthen him up, he could offer a lot.

I'm just happy that the Ravens are going all in with Kubiak's system, and getting him O-line players who can play well in it. Zuttah, now Urschel, perhaps Eric Winston in FA. And hopefully, Wagner, Yanda, Osemele and Monroe will have spent all the time they can on learning the system. Gradkowski too, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason to think his default position is Center and not Guard? I know they said he's capable of playing all the interior positions, and Center makes sense with him being a genius and all. But, I didn't hear anything to supercede him being a guard in college.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Is there any reason to think his default position is Center and not Guard? I know they said he's capable of playing all the interior positions, and Center makes sense with him being a genius and all. But, I didn't hear anything to supercede him being a guard in college.

None, except for the conjecture by Hensley who has shown time and time again that he doesn't really know anything.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

I don't know that Urschel is a project. He already has really good technique and understanding. I'm looking at him as more of a high floor/low ceiling guy that could do very well in Kubiak's system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: