Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Ravens Post-Draft Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you grade the draft?
A
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
B
64%
 64%  [ 11 ]
C
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
D
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 17

SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: 2014 Ravens Post-Draft Discussion Reply with quote

So the draft is over, here's our official list of picks:

1 17 17 C. J. Mosley Linebacker Alabama
2 16 48 Timmy Jernigan Defensive Tackle Florida State
3 15 79 Terrence Brooks Safety Florida State
3 35 99 Crockett Gillmore Tight End Colorado State
4 34 134 Brent Urban Defensive Tackle Virginia
4 38 138 Lorenzo Taliaferro Running Back Coastal Carolina
5 35 175 John Urschel Guard Penn State
6 18 194 Keith Wenning Quarterback Ball State
7 3 218 Mike Campanaro Wide Receiver Wake Forest

So to start the discussion:

How do you guys rate the individual picks?
How do you guys rate the entire draft?

Do you guys see any scheme changes coming (4-3, for example?)

What potential FA targets could we be looking at (RT?)
rayvens4sb

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 17 17 C. J. Mosley Linebacker Alabama

I'm pretty happy with this pick considering what was left on the board. Ideally, I think we should have moved up a couple spots Zack Martin. However, this would have been my pick too if we didn't trade up or down. Doesn't fill an immediate need, but definitely BPA and will very solid for us in the future.

B+

2 16 48 Timmy Jernigan Defensive Tackle Florida State

Once again, a great player, but the position is kinda meh. NT wasn't that pressing of a need for us to spend a second round pick. However, because of who we got in the next round, I'm not too upset over it.

C+

3 15 79 Terrence Brooks Safety Florida State

Like many other people are saying, this was my favorite pick for us in the whole draft. Best player available and fills a need. I think Brooks can be an immediate starter for us next to Elam and make a big impact this season. He was the perfect pick for us here.

A

3 35 99 Crockett Gillmore Tight End Colorado State

Again like pretty much everyone else, I had no clue who this guy was. After watching some tape and reading some scouting reports, he seems to fill a need and is an okay player. However, I don't understand at all why we needed to spend a third round pick on him. I think Ozzie reached big time with this one.

D

4 34 134 Brent Urban Defensive Tackle Virginia

I actually loved Brent Urban coming into the draft and if it weren't for one of the other picks in the draft, I would have loved this pick. However, I don't see the need for us to draft two defensive linemen. I understand depth is important, but two in the same draft when we already have decent depth seems like overkill. Could have spent this pick better.

C

4 38 138 Lorenzo Taliaferro Running Back Coastal Carolina

Didn't know much about him before the draft, but after reading some stuff on him (haven't watched tape yet), he seems like a very underrated pick. Sure, he's pretty slow for a running back, but not exactly for one that's as big as he is. I think he could compliment Rice/Pierce very well with his completely different style of play. Seems to have a Mike Tolbert type of North-South running style.

B

5 35 175 John Urschel Guard Penn State

From what I have heard, Urschel seems like more of a center than a guard and I could see him playing there for us. He seems to have pretty good potential and could possibly start at center for at least part of the season. However, this still leaves one position on the Oline unsolved, whether it be LG or RT.

B-

6 18 194 Keith Wenning Quarterback Ball State

Will provide good competition for Tyrod Taylor. I think we'll only keep 2 QBs on the roster. Good quarterback for a sixth round pick. Not much else to say since he won't be playing.

C+

7 3 218 Mike Campanaro Wide Receiver Wake Forest

Love this pick. The Ravens really wanted him before the draft and went through with it by trading back into the draft to get him. This is fantastic value for a seventh round pick. He could develop into a great slot receiver for us.

A-

Overall: B
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. CJ Mosley - Undoubtedly a good player, with a proven track record and good character. But questions have been asked about the players Alabama produces and their long term viability, and a few recent guys from that programme have excelled at the college level and been less impressive in the NFL. Also, I think this was too high a pick for any ILB who isn't Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis quality. B

2. Timmy Jernigan - Big, stout DT who isn't likely to change anything much on that D-line. A rotational guy, at best. Might become a starter, in a year or two. C

3. Terrence Brooks - Love the pick. Best one the Ravens made, An athletic, genuine FS who should be a great complement to Matt Elam in that Secondary. If he's given the opportunity to start, he'll have a very good rookie season. And this was a 3rd round pick! A+

3. Crockett Gilmore - Picked too high. Unremarkable on all fronts. Probably would have been available in the 4th or even 5th rounds. E

4. Brent Urban - Don't know much about him, but he seems to have had 2nd to 4th round grades. Big, tall guy, who doesn't really look explosive. One of those low risk/high reward guys. B

4. Lorenzo Taliaferro - He's not Terrance West, so I'm unable to be objective. Big, strong, not particularly fast. Apparently has tiny hands. C-

5. John Urschel - ZBS fit Guard. Apparently very smart, but not that strong or athletic. Depth guy. B-

6. Keith Wenning - 6th round developmental QB. He is what he is. B

7 Michael Campanaro - Undersized white guy who plays WR, so obviously he's scrappy, gritty and determined. No, really, he looks like a decent pick up in the 7th round. B+

Overall, C

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, this is a difficult draft to grade. I think the root of my disappointment stems from the fact that there weren't many "sexy" picks. We expected the Ravens to fill their gaps early with well-known names and that just didn't happen. Instead, it looks like we took a more long-term approach to our selections using our usual BPA rankings.

I admit to initially being mystified by our DL selections. I thought we were pretty set there. But then I began thinking of not only Ngata's future contract (should he choose to keep playing), but also Cody and Canty. It seems clear to me that the FO has some reservations and I am kind of excited to see how these new guys turn out. I rather have too many DL going into the season than not enough.

I also wasn't too sold on Mosely's selection, and am slowly warming up to it. He looks like a helluva good prospect. I just don't know if he--or rather his position--was the one we needed right now. Then again, this falls into the traditional mindset of "we need someone to fix X-Position NOW!" The Ravens are, again, taking a long-term approach that I can't help but admire. Too many teams pick guys who get buzz that fill immediate needs only for them to end up performing poorly. I think the combination of Brown-Mosely will be pretty beastly in the coming years.

I think the want of instant gratification has made the Ravens' current long-term strategy somewhat difficult to swallow. The Front Office obviously knows more than we do about players' contracts, durability, skill-sets/conditioning, etc, so I am curious to see how our picks end up when looking back in two-to-four years. This seems like more of a "rebuilding-for-the-future" draft than a "we're-drafting-this-season's-starters" kind of draft. Given that we've plugged a number of our holes in the offseason (and some in the draft), I think we could afford to look ahead and gamble. We'll see.

I give the overall draft a B'ish.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. CJ Mosley - Love the pick. Was high on him last year, this year and was one of the few here that welcomed the pick at 17 before the draft. He doesn't fill an immediate need but when you draft BPA, you fill your team with the best talent you can for the long term. A

2. Timmy Jernigan - Again, love the value here. Scheme fit is a bit of a question, but to me, seems that we are almost certainly going to make some sort of adjustment based on the LBs we have now and this pick. But, since that hasn't been announced yet, the scheme fit knocks it down a bit. B-

3. Terrence Brooks - Love the pick a lot, think he's exactly what we need. Wish his hands were a bit better, but hopefully he can improve on that. Should be a great complement to Elam. A-

3. Crockett Gilmore - Don't know all too much about him, but the value seems to be a bit worse than other picks here. I think his skillset fits in well here though. C-

4. Brent Urban - Honestly haven't looked into him enough yet to form an opinion. - INC

4. Lorenzo Taliaferro - I was hoping for West, but I can get behind this pick. Not the flashiest, not the most exciting pick -- but the scheme fit is undeniable IMO. Big back, one cut and go type guy. C

5. John Urschel - Again, don't know much about him other than he's a ZBS guy and supposedly smart. But, just off of that I can't grade him. INC

6. Keith Wenning - Like the pick, though we'd go backup QB with this pick all along. Don't know much about him personally but I know the value was at least decent here. C+

7 Michael Campanaro - Love this pick. Local guy, fits a role we need, plays like a Raven. A-

Overall, I give the draft a solid B+.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 C. J. Mosley, LB, Alabama Grade: B+
Pro Comparison = NaVorro Bowman/Jon Beason
While I have to admit, I hated this pick initially, that was mainly for two reasons; the first reason was that I thought a trade back would have presented better value. However, since I can't know the value the Ravens received in an offer to move back, I can't conclude whether or not this is a valid reason... and thus until proven otherwise, this has to be considered an irrational reason due to the lack of evidence.

The second reason for hating the pick was scheme fit. Last season I was just as (well slightly less) high on a junior CJ Mosley as a senior Arthur Brown. Mosley improved as a senior and is a probowl talent at LB. He does it all for the position. Takes on blocks, covers TEs/RBs, attacks the LOS, sure tackler, etc. Though the scheme fit is questionable. With Arthur Brown and Daryl Smith as the probably starting LBs it makes little sense to add a LBer at a position where getting good starters isn't the most difficult task. Mosley is great... and that makes it more difficult, but his selection wastes a pick for either Brown or Mosley... or it makes resigning Smith somewhat meaningless.

However a scheme change to a base 43 makes the Mosley selection a terrific fit. Since there is still plenty of uncertainty I can't grade the Mosley pick an A, for a 43 base defense... or switch it to a C+/B-... like I would in the event that we run a 34 base defense.

48 Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State Grade: B
Pro Comparison: Glenn Dorsey (?)
I think Jernigan went right around where his value should have been. Watching him I didn't see a guy whose talent was worthy of a mid 1st round selection, like many in the media had him going when left to their own devices (with minimal team/scout feedback). Jernigan will be an elite run stuffing DT that much is clear. But I didn't see the movement skills nor the quick hands to allow him to best separate in pass rushing situations. Those limitations make him valued at around where we took him. That said, he did end up losing about 15 lbs since the end of the collegiate regular season... and at the lower weight he did time very well in the athletic drills. So perhaps if he plays closer to 300 lbs, as opposed to the 315 he was in the BCS Championship, he should be a more effective/balanced defender.

79 Terrence Brooks, FS, Florida State Grade: A-
Pro Comparison: Eric Weddle
Brooks provides a combination of the most (or 2nd most) athletic safety in this draft class to go with a versatile and well developed technician. Brooks can still work on suring up his tackling ability some and improving his hands for the interceptions, but he's got everything you ask for a safety. He can play single high, in the box, cover TEs, RBs, and slot WRs. He's fast, but also physical. He doesn't shy away from tackles. He can do everything you ask him to do on the field and that should allow us to move him and Elam around in that secondary to create more havoc then we've been able to do for some time... well, maybe not, sadly... we couldn't draft a defensive coordinator.

99 Crockett Gillmore, TE, Colorado State C+
Pro Comparison: Scott Chandler
Gillmore was overdrafted to the point of becoming underrated. I think we might have overdrafted him by a round. But he's not some useless TE. Gillmore provides a large catch radius, a nice blocking TE option, and a guy with enough speed to get some separation when going vertical. While we have both Pitta and Daniels in front of him on the depth chart, both players have been known to have durability issues in the past... Daniels especially. So having a TE who is very intimate with Kubiak's blocking scheme and offense should have a huge leg up and should be able to quickly make an impact in the event that he's needed.

134 Brent Urban, DT, Virginia Grade: B+
Prospect Comparison: Trevor Pryce
Urban is someone that wasn't on my radar. I admittedly handle looked at any of his tape until after we selected him. However upon watching his tape, I was very much impressed. Urban uses his incredibly long arms and great strength to keep OL from getting into his frame and getting push on him at the LOS. He does this without needing a wide lower body. So he keeps enough speed to be a pass rushing threat when disengaging from defenders. Urban is probably a mid-late 2nd round talent in most draft classes. He's got the versatility to excel as a 43 UT or a 34 5-tech DE. He does a great job being active with his hands and effecting passing lanes. He had 9 batted passes in only 8 games in 2013. So even though he needs to develop his foot and hand speed some to separate faster from OL and be more of a pass rushing force, he can still effect the passing game from just having the kind of length that you can't teach.

138 Lorenzo Taliaferro, RB, Coastal Carolina Grade: B
Pro Comparison: Willis McGahee
Another pick that has taken some heat. While LT is no Terrance West... and I was prepared to give West an A- if we got him in the 3rd round... LT is a talented back in his own right. He's got the straight line speed to challenge defenses deep if they give him a crease to the 2nd level. While he doesn't display elite vision for a back, he does have good vision to find a crease to get him solid yards. He's a physical back, but he's not a guy that's going to carry a pile. He has too much of an upright rushing style to be that type of piledriving redzone back. LT is going to give you toughness, good athleticism, nice running power, enough catching ability to be a distraction, and a very good pass blocking back. He could potentially become one of the best pass blocking RBs in the league with the appropriate development. It's one of his best traits.

175 John Urschel, OG, Penn State Grade: B
Pro Comparison: Brian De La Puente
Another pick that wasn't on my radar until we picked him. Hadn't watched tape of him until just before this review. I watched his tape against Ohio State. I thought he did a great job taking the correct blocking angles to get to his defender. He knew where his man would meet his zone and blocked the spot and not the man. He has excellent footwork, though only above average to good foot quickness. He's not a prime athlete, but he does a great job of using his intelligent to consistently put himself into a position to succeed on blocks. I think he can do better with improving his balance as I saw him on the ground a couple times during the tape. He still managed on those plays to eliminate his defender from the equation, but that was a weakness I saw. His intelligence and football smarts (they're not always the same thing) should give him the versatility to compete at all three of our interior OL positions as either a backup or a starting option. I was expecting to see a backup caliber option and nothing more, but Urschel looks like he could be a potential sleeper candidate to win the starting LG or center spot in the event that the coaches think KO or Zuttah might better fit at RT or LG respectively. Either way Urschel looks to have the potential to factor into the OL depth to bolster it.

194 Keith Wenning, QB, Ball State Grade: B-
Pro Comparison: n/a
He has a live arm and some pretty nice accuracy. Locks on his receiver before passing the ball that better defenders will take advantage of for picks. He's got the passing tools you look for, but needs to do a better job of looking off the defender for passes. He'll need to develop in that area. His athleticism also didn't look anything better than average... though I didn't see any examples in the small amount of tape I watched of his army game to truly see if he was placed in a position to use his feet.

218 Mike Campanaro, WR, Wake Forest Grade: A-
Pro Comparison: Wes Welker
Every slot receiver over the past half decade has basically been compared to Wes Welker. No comparison might've been more apt than the one of Campanaro to Welker. Like Welker, you've got a receiver who has terrific quickness that not many defenders can keep with in coverage, then you've got the explosive ability after the catch to get himself into the open field, and lastly he's got very good strength to break tackles and produce YAC. Campanaro also has very nice deep speed that might perhaps give him an extra dimension to his game. Steve Smith is the perfect WR for Campanaro to watch and learn under to help develop his skillset at the NFL level. The Ravens were lacking a 3rd down machine and now they've got a guy in that Wes Welker/Brandon Stokley mold that is very much instant separation on short routes for 3rd down productivity. To acquire such a talent in the 7th round is incredible value. Even in such a stacked WR class Campanaro has 3rd/4th round type ability, but due to durability concerns, he fell to the 7th round. Campanaro should take Deonte Thompson's spot on the Ravens depth chart and provide an excellent punt returning option to boot.

Overall = 3.11 GPA
Grade = B

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SI gives the ravens an A:

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/10/2014-nfl-draft-grades/

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens
From a strict talent-and-value perspective, the Ravens may have done as well as any other team in the draft. LB C.J. Mosley, if heís healthy, could be a Defensive Player of the Year frontrunner; DT Timmy Jernigan had mid-Round 1 potential, only to fall to pick 48; safety Terrence Brooks may be an instant starter. Baltimore also landed some of the better role players available, like TE Crockett Gillmore and underrated QB Keith Wenning. The lone knock here comes from Baltimoreís inability to really address its offensive line.

Grade: A-minus

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that I was offline for all of Saturday and most of Sunday I have quite a few thoughts to share. It was so bad that I didn't even know the Ravens traded back into the 7th round to take Campanaro until Sunday night. I don't believe that I expounded much on any of the draft picks that I was present for anyways. It's taken me this long to get something up because after I was back online I decided to extensively look into and/or re-check every player Baltimore took and I have to say I'm impressed for the most part. Here it is, sorry for the semi-walls of text.

C.J. Mosley - When the commissioner announced this pick I immediately knew it was going to be one of the most controversial Ravens pick in recent years. Not because of his play on the field, Mosley was almost universally regarded as one of the top prospects in the draft and most had him ranked higher than where he was picked, but since the team re-signed Daryl Smith to a 4-year contract this offseason and took Arthur Brown with a second round pick last year. Setting that aside for now thereís very little Mosley canít do on the field. Being a better on the blitz is something he needs to work on but aside from that I donít see anything significant. Tackling, range, coverage, getting off blocks, defending the run, instincts, leadership, etc. are all at least at plus on the attributes chart. His physical profile fits the mold of what you want an inside linebacker to look like in todayís NFL. Mosley doesnít have the brute force you see from ďthumperĒ types but he still sheds blockers well enough not to be anywhere near a liability in the middle. The only real con for him as a player is his durability concerns. In the beginning this pick will be graded based on how the Ravens will be able to get the most out of Smith, Brown, and Mosley when in all likelihood only two of them will be on the field at any given time. When Smith retires or is cut then the duo of Mosley and Brown will probably be the best in the league but for now Pees has to show some ingenuity. Iím guessing that thereís a decent chance that Mosley beats out Brown and starts with Smith, but it wouldnít surprise me to see them go with the player that already has a year of experience with the team.

Timmy Jernigan - Well, I really didnít want the Ravens to take another nose tackle but the value was too great for them to pass on. Jernigan played that position most of the time for Florida State in both the 3-man and 4-man lines and I would expect that to be his main role in Baltimore with Brandon Williams sticking at 5-technique. Heís not your typical space-eater though even if power is the biggest part of his game. I see Jernigan as the ideal nose tackle in a Wade Phillips scheme. Heís someone who gets off blocks and can make plays while still being stout in the middle. The Seminoles used quite a few different defensive looks and as a result Jernigan lined up at different spots with varying assignments. He has the athleticism to stunt to the outside and be a somewhat effective 3-technique. Iíd really like to see him get off the snap quicker though. Thatís one of his biggest inconsistencies. When Jernigan does have a good jump he does a lot of good things. If not heís more often than not blocked out of the play. You donít see him on the ground too often and he has good hand use. Itís not hard to see why Jernigan was valued as a first round pick by most. I think heíll get the Brandon Williams treatment this season though - playing sparingly for the most part behind guys who know the system better and then replacing a starter (Canty) next season. There might be a chance Jernigan earns a significant rotation role right away if the team wants to start limiting the snaps of Canty and/or Ngata.

Terrance Brooks - Easily my favorite pick of the draft. Brooks is pretty much the perfect complement to Elam and adding him completely changes the dynamic of Baltimoreís secondary. He was the fastest and most athletic safety in the draft that brings the great range most thought the Ravens needed. I also think that Brooks being an experienced senior who was a leader helps his chances of starting right away next season and thatís a big deal considering Darian Stewart was in-line for that role otherwise. Instincts are also a plus for him. Iím a big fan of what he could mean to the defense. The biggest knocks on him are his size, hands, and at times suspect tackling ability. Brooksí size isnít a concern for me as I see him playing the deep part of the field most of the time and not matching up with receivers or tight ends in coverage. Elam should be the safety almost exclusively used around the line of scrimmage. His hands probably arenít going to get better so I doubt he ever racks up big interception numbers. Thatís fine as long as he gets to the ball in the air and knocks it down. Iím a believer that tackling can be fixed by coaching and in this case in particular I think Brooksí issues arenít hard to correct. Baltimore was tied for the lead with the most 40+ yard passes given up last season and this guy should go a long ways to lowering that number.

Crockett Gillmore - At the time of this pick I didnít like it much and in my opinion it was still a bit high for Gillmore. On the other hand Iím sure that the team didnít view it as a reach and if what they did in the first two rounds was any indication he was probably at or very near the top of their board. As a player Gillmore surprised me a bit when I went back and looked him up some more. Heís being profiled as a blocking tight end and that was one of his roles at Colorado State but it was far from the whole story. Gillmore lined up as a traditional tight end, in the slot, as an outside receiver, and in the backfield. His hands are pretty good and he catches the ball away from his body. I donít think Gillmore has great burst or vertical explosiveness. That may be something that can be helped with NFL-level facilities and training programs but I wouldnít bet on him ever being a big-play threat or a dangerous red-zone target. Thatís fine though. I think Gillmoreís upside is as a low-end starter or a really number two that can be a factor in the passing game and as a blocker. A great fit for the second tight end in Kubiakís scheme.

Brent Urban - After letting Arthur Jones sing elsewhere in free agency itís not a surprise the team wanted to address this position even if they have Lewis-Moore coming back. Taking Jernigan led me to believe that they would be content with the defensive line but heís a nose tackle so itís not a big surprise that they wanted to add someone like this. From what I can tell Urban is my least favorite player on tape out of all the draft picks. He has great size and length but I donít think heís strong at the point of attack at all who has issues with leverage and his burst off the line is lacking. Urban doesnít strike me as much of a technician either and will need quite a bit of work before being a solid contributor. I will say that I donít think he played a position at Virginia that suits his strengths at all though. From what I saw his main role was a 3-technique and he even lined up over the center on occasion. Urban looks to be a pure 5-technique where he can use his length to get a better advantage. I also thought he was pretty good at stunting to the outside. Iím not sure who Urban compares to but heís far from a finished product.

Lorenzo Taliaferro - My first thought was he has a really cool name and I didnít know anything about him. Since then Iíve looked into Taliaferro and I like what I see - as long as his role with the team isnít as the leading back unless in an emergency. It wasnít a surprise for the Ravens to go after a bigger back. That seems to be what they prefer and hence why Seastrunk wasnít the pick. I believe Taliaferro is a pretty good fit for a running back in Kubiakís scheme. Heís probably the best pass-blocking back on the roster right now but thatís not saying much. Still, that alone could lead him to seeing some snaps even if Rice is playing and Pierce is healthy. I like his vision and he seems to be pretty good at finding a way to at least get back to the line of scrimmage. Taliaferro runs with power and fights for yards but doesnít have a great acceleration burst. Smooth comes to mind when watching him run, nothing explosive or game-breaking but generally consistent. I think Taliaferro will succeed at the next level as long as heís not the main guy defenses have to plan for. Thereís just not enough juice in his running for me to see him being a big producer. My comparison would be a poor manís Matt Forte. Taliaferro has the same sort of build and running style, but not as quick or being a major option in the passing game.

John Urschel - An offensive lineman. Finally. And considering how long the team waited to take one I actually like this pick a lot. Urschel looks to be close to the ideal interior lineman for the system Baltimore is running now. He doesnít dominate blocks but heís not a guy that gets dominated by defenders too often either. I really like Urschelís ability to redirect the player heís blocking. His ability to get to the next level is competent at the least and although not a great athlete heís adequate enough. I do worry about Urschel potentially just getting physically out-matched in the NFL but thatís not what his game is predicated on anyways. Of course his intelligence has to be mentioned. As the ďAcademic HeismanĒ winner Urschel definitely has the smarts to understand a new playbook fairly quick and if he can handle a transition from right guard to left guard I wouldnít be surprised at all to see him be a legitimate contender to start right away. As it stands right now there are four guaranteed starters including Monroe at left tackle, Zuttah at center, Yanda at left guard, and Osemele at left guard or right tackle. That leaves Urschel competing with Wagner, Gradkowski, Jensen, and Shipley for the last starting spot. Itís not hard to envision him beating out the others. Urschel could eventually slide over to center but I donít think thatís what he was drafted for. I see him as at least a quality depth option on the interior going forward.

Keith Wenning - Iím pretty sure just about everybody expected the Ravens to take a quarterback at some point and waiting until this point to do so makes sense. With guys like McCarron, Mettenberger, and Savage falling a bit it wouldnít have been a surprise to see one of them going to Baltimore but after watching Wenning I like that they waited until this point to take him. He has good and active feet with a quick release and fairly good accuracy. I particularly liked some of the touch passes he had. Wenning can get his feet set and in his stance to throw the ball rapidly. He doesnít have a ton of arm strength but thereís enough zip on the short to intermediate passes to be successful. I donít foresee Wenning being a big threat going deep but I think he can keep an offense moving down the field with solid talent around him. The typical West Coast quarterback description comes to mind. If Flacco goes down due to injury at any point this season thereís no doubt Iíd rather see Wenning in there leading the offense as opposed to Taylor. To me the difference between them as passers is huge.

Michael Campanaro - This was widely regarded as the deepest wide receiver class in years but I never expected the team to wait until the 7th round to take one. It was also surprising to see them trade a 6th round pick next year to do so. Campanaro is an intriguing player. Heís a quick and shifty slot receiver that gets consistent separation on the short and intermediate routes. His hands are fairly good and he shows at least a willingness to block when need be. I didnít think the routes Wake Forest had Campanaro run were anything too complex so that may be something to watch for, but at the same time what he did there will likely be very similar to what he will do with Baltimore. He lacks the speed to separate vertically and with his small stature and short arms Campanaro doesnít have a large catch radius. Health and durability is a concern as well. Heís the type of player that needs to establish really good chemistry with his quarterback to succeed. I think Campanaro would work well with the Ravens since he does get a good amount of separation and we all know Flacco prefers to throw to the open guys as opposed to throwing a guy open. But I could also see Campanaro not making the roster this season. Hopefully he turns out to be Baltimoreís version of Andrew Hawkins.

Rating the entire thing on value alone and what I think of just the players this is probably my favorite draft in recent memory. How they get that talent on the field in the right roles is what I'm somewhat worried about but these guys should definitely make the team better.

Even with the Ravens taking Mosley and Jernigan with their first two picks I don't foresee them utilizing many 4-3 base looks or any defensive packages that feature three linebackers who aren't primarily used to blitz. Like I said above Jernigan is a nose tackle and he fits in a 3-4 scheme. Particularly one where you want the nose tackle getting off blocks and making plays as opposed to eating up blockers. I think that's something a lot of us noted a couple of seasons ago when we were questioning why Kemoeatu was getting so much playing time, even though he was more of a block-eater he had many more plays where he was trying to make plays and not just take up space. Mosley is the big question mark in terms how the team is going to get a significant contribution from him in addition to Smith and Brown. That doesn't mean the solution is to go to 4-3 base formations though, at least not when Pees is calling the shots. I think we'll see Daryl Smith actually getting some plays off with whoever doesn't start next to him having the backup green dot helmet. More than one player can have one as long as both aren't on the field at the same time.

The only position I think the Ravens could immediately start targeting via free agency is cornerback. It wasn't addressed during the draft and I don't think they would be comfortable with an undrafted free agent coming in and immediately being the 5th guy on the depth chart, even if the defense rarely has more than three of them on the field at the same time.
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Michael Campanaro - This was widely regarded as the deepest wide receiver class in years but I never expected the team to wait until the 7th round to take one. It was also surprising to see them trade a 6th round pick next year to do so. Campanaro is an intriguing player. Heís a quick and shifty slot receiver that gets consistent separation on the short and intermediate routes. His hands are fairly good and he shows at least a willingness to block when need be. I didnít think the routes Wake Forest had Campanaro run were anything too complex so that may be something to watch for, but at the same time what he did there will likely be very similar to what he will do with Baltimore. He lacks the speed to separate vertically and with his small stature and short arms Campanaro doesnít have a large catch radius. Health and durability is a concern as well. Heís the type of player that needs to establish really good chemistry with his quarterback to succeed. I think Campanaro would work well with the Ravens since he does get a good amount of separation and we all know Flacco prefers to throw to the open guys as opposed to throwing a guy open. But I could also see Campanaro not making the roster this season. Hopefully he turns out to be Baltimoreís version of Andrew Hawkins.

In the plays I've seen of him, he seems to get separation by not really running traditional routes, but just adjusting as he sees fit and running into space. It made sense for him in college where, I read somewhere, he made up about 30% of Wake Forest's offense. The QB was always going to be looking for him as a primary target.

In the NFL, he's going to have to polish that route running, to get separation and give Joe a reliable target. I think he can do it, because he definitely has that shiftiness that a slot receiver needs. If he can't, then I doubt he makes it onto the field much, because I don't think there are many QBs who could throw a 5'9" guy open consistently.

I still really like the pick, though, and think that he will be a success. From day 1 of TC, he should turn himself into Steve Smith's shadow, and learn every tiny little thing he can.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mancunian Raven wrote:
In the plays I've seen of him, he seems to get separation by not really running traditional routes, but just adjusting as he sees fit and running into space. It made sense for him in college where, I read somewhere, he made up about 30% of Wake Forest's offense. The QB was always going to be looking for him as a primary target.

In the NFL, he's going to have to polish that route running, to get separation and give Joe a reliable target. I think he can do it, because he definitely has that shiftiness that a slot receiver needs. If he can't, then I doubt he makes it onto the field much, because I don't think there are many QBs who could throw a 5'9" guy open consistently.

I still really like the pick, though, and think that he will be a success. From day 1 of TC, he should turn himself into Steve Smith's shadow, and learn every tiny little thing he can.

Yeah, a good chunk of Campanaro's plays at Wake Forest probably were option routes. Like I said what he did do wasn't very complicated and that would seem to fit with those types of plays. He could succeed in the NFL doing those same sorts of things though. I'm intrigued. As it stands I would say that Campanro does make the roster along with Smith, Smith, Brown, Jones, and Mellette if only because he brings a much different skill set to the table like DeCosta mentioned in the last post-draft press conference. But if the chemistry with Flacco isn't there then it doesn't matter. Campanaro doesn't have the physical tools to overcome something like that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: