Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Baltimore Ravens UDFA pickups...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which UDFA will become the best Raven?
LB Xavius Boyd, Western Kentucky
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Levi Brown, Temple
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
WR Jeremy Butler, Tennessee-Martin
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
WR Jace Davis, Northern Colorado
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OL Parker Graham, Oklahoma State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Derrick Hopkins, Virginia Tech
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OT James Hurst, North Carolina
66%
 66%  [ 12 ]
CB Trumain Jacobs, Texas A&M
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
P/K Richie Leone, Houston
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DT Jamie Meder, Ashland
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
S Dexter Moody, Albany State
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
CB Deji Olatoye, North Carolina A&T
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
LB Zach Orr, North Texas
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
DL A.J. Pataialii Utah State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB Avery Patterson, Oregon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CB Sammy Seamster, Middle Tennessee State
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OT Brett Van Sloten, Iowa
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Jerry rice jr. apparently coming in for a look as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000349920/article/jerry-rice-jr-reportedly-to-try-out-for-ravens-on-friday

Yeah, I heard about him but I didn't want to include him until he actually was added to the team.

I very much doubt he's going to be invited back after this tryout. He's had multiple opportunities to prove himself and just being the son of the GOAT, you'd think a good WR would get more field time than he does... the fact that he's struggled to find playing time at two different colleges and has production that is almost unheard of... doesn't bold too well for his chances of making it for a training camp invite.

I jumped the gun on some other guys as well, but I at least thought they had a shot at making the team. I have to wonder if this just isn't a favor the Ravens are doing for Jerry Rice... only because it'd look bad if Rice pulled strings with San Fran to get his son a tryout there... or perhaps he didn't want his son to "know" he was pulling strings. Either way I think it's fishy that the Ravens are giving Rice Jr. a shot after his college resume was so very much less than stellar.

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting nugget to pass along: Apparently, Sam Koch has been informed by the coaches that the team is looking at this offseason as a competition between him and Richie Leone. So he's not just a camp body; they'll give him a chance to pull a Justin Tucker in camp if he can impress.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Interesting nugget to pass along: Apparently, Sam Koch has been informed by the coaches that the team is looking at this offseason as a competition between him and Richie Leone. So he's not just a camp body; they'll give him a chance to pull a Justin Tucker in camp if he can impress.

If this is indeed true, I wonder why they chose to give a shot to Leone and not a guy like Kirby Van Der Kamp.

Granted, I'm not going to pretend to be the foremost expert on punters, but given for what we look for in terms of special teams ability, I thought Van Der Kamp would have been the perfect fit given his experience with fake attempts (in addition to his natural ability to punt).

I doubt we see Leone beat out Koch is more or less what I'm saying.

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

If this is indeed true, I wonder why they chose to give a shot to Leone and not a guy like Kirby Van Der Kamp.

Granted, I'm not going to pretend to be the foremost expert on punters, but given for what we look for in terms of special teams ability, I thought Van Der Kamp would have been the perfect fit given his experience with fake attempts (in addition to his natural ability to punt).

I doubt we see Leone beat out Koch is more or less what I'm saying.

Yeah I doubt it, too. We don't seem to have any real interest in upgrading the punter position.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a "real" competition. Tucker came out of nowhere and upended Cundiff. Kicker and punter rankings are probably the most subjective things in the draft. Of course Koch isn't anywhere near Cundiff's level of terrible and he's still at least a decent punter so Leone will have a much harder route.

Leone himself looks like a decent punter prospect though. Big guy with a strong leg that has a history of success. I see he was Houston's kicker for their first seven games this year too going 11-17 on field goals with a long of 40 yards and making all 32 extra point attempts. Something to keep in mind with anybody that might replace Koch is how well they handle the holder duties. Something like that might seem small but if it affects Tucker in any way... ugh.
RayReed2052

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koch had one mediocre season IMO..he wasn't even that bad. I bet he was middle of the pack statistically..and with his track record, I just don't see him not on our roster opening day.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

I did think Leone was just a camp leg, given that he's listed as a Punter and Kicker. Someone to spell both Koch and Tucker, and let them keep their legs fresh.

But if the Ravens do let him challenge Koch (and I think they will, given how well it turned out when they let Tucker really compete), then I wouldn't mind at all if he beat him out. I did feel bad for Koch last year, because he must have punted about eleventy billion times over the course of the season. I bet his leg is still sore. If Leone can outproduce him, then he should get the roster spot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: