Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

With the 194th pick the Ravens select... Keith Wenning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: With the 194th pick the Ravens select... Keith Wenning Reply with quote

With the 194th pick the Ravens select... Keith Wenning, QB, Ball St.

NFL Combine wrote:
HEIGHT: 6'3"
ARM LENGTH: 31 1/4"
WEIGHT: 218 LBS.
HANDS: 10"

BOTTOM LINE Heavy-bodied, dink-and-dunk, rhythm passer who could be challenged to fit the ball into tight NFL windows. Has the makeup desired in a No. 3 QB and could develop into a functional backup in a West Coast passing game.
-Nolan Nawrocki

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#winning

Kudos 2 Mike Matt 2011 On The Sig
Mancunian Raven

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's probably never going to see the field, considering Joe's durability, so this is all about taking a backup that you might be able to develop into something other teams covet.

A backup that's more like Joe makes sense to me, as I've said before. What the Ravens were doing with Tyrod Taylor was asking the other ten men on the field to play a completely different game whenever he took a snap. Especially the O-line, who must find it so tough to go from a big pocket passer to a read option guy.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days I'll have to try and see if there is any tape available on this guy to see if he's any good.

Today is not that day. So I'll trust in Ozzie and the scouts until I can form my own opinion... and then I'll probably still trust in them unless this guy looks horrible during the preseason.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:
#winning

#wenning

He'll make a Pro-Bowl before Flacco.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I thought of Keith pre-draft; Had him as the 3rd best overall QB in this draft (Behind Bridgewater and Manziel)

**Note, Role is what I thought a player was capable of doing as a rookie and then into their career**

Quote:
Keith Wenning
Ball State
6-3, 218
Senior
Grade: 6.9

Keith Wenning is a guy that has flown under the radar his entire collegiate career and that has continued into the draft process. Very little has been mentioned about Wenning, and if he continues to be understated heading into the draft it is possible someone could get themselves a late round or even UDFA steal at QB. Keith Wenning has good size at 6-3, 218. Not ideal, but good size and room to add about 10 pounds. His arm is above average, spins the ball well, not Carr/Savage/Thomas arm, but very good. Has comfort in the pocket, deals with pressure well; steps into the pocket, good release, mechanically sound. Places the ball well on short and intermediate routes, has a few issues throwing 9 routes and tends to overthrow these. Started 47 games over four years, made full field progressions when necessary (often times first read was open). Flashes the ability to look off defenders, but does not do this consistently. Not overly athletic, is a pocket passer, but throws well on the move, resets his feet and squares his shoulders to the target. Carried the offense at Ball State with very little help around him. Took nearly all of his snaps from the shotgun and played in a non-AQ conference. Toughest games in 2013 were Northern Illinois and Virginia. Keith Wenning is the best Quarterback you have never heard of. He has a skillset that will lend itself well to a long NFL career. Has the ability to be a top 15 QB in the NFL and a long term starter.

Role Day one starter. Long term NFL starter. Fringe Top 10 guy.

I think, having gone to Baltimore he could be trade bait in a year or two after putting out some great preseason tape. Good Matt Schaub. I think this is an incredibly saavy pick by the Ravens and one that will bring them rewards be it though his on the field play or by trade compensation.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
This is what I thought of Keith pre-draft; Had him as the 3rd best overall QB in this draft (Behind Bridgewater and Manziel)

**Note, Role is what I thought a player was capable of doing as a rookie and then into their career**

Quote:
Keith Wenning
Ball State
6-3, 218
Senior

Keith Wenning is a guy that has flown under the radar his entire collegiate career and that has continued into the draft process. Very little has been mentioned about Wenning, and if he continues to be understated heading into the draft it is possible someone could get themselves a late round or even UDFA steal at QB. Keith Wenning has good size at 6-3, 218. Not ideal, but good size and room to add about 10 pounds. His arm is above average, spins the ball well, not Carr/Savage/Thomas arm, but very good. Has comfort in the pocket, deals with pressure well; steps into the pocket, good release, mechanically sound. Places the ball well on short and intermediate routes, has a few issues throwing 9 routes and tends to overthrow these. Started 47 games over four years, made full field progressions when necessary (often times first read was open). Flashes the ability to look off defenders, but does not do this consistently. Not overly athletic, is a pocket passer, but throws well on the move, resets his feet and squares his shoulders to the target. Carried the offense at Ball State with very little help around him. Took nearly all of his snaps from the shotgun and played in a non-AQ conference. Toughest games in 2013 were Northern Illinois and Virginia. Keith Wenning is the best Quarterback you have never heard of. He has a skillset that will lend itself well to a long NFL career. Has the ability to be a top 15 QB in the NFL and a long term starter.

I think, having gone to Baltimore he could be trade bait in a year or two after putting out some great preseason tape. Good Matt Schaub. I think this is an incredibly saavy pick by the Ravens and one that will bring them rewards be it though his on the field play or by trade compensation.

Just out of curiosity, where did you post this?

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:

Quote:
Keith Wenning
Ball State
6-3, 218
Senior

Perhaps he did better in the other games, but from what I saw of his Army game tape, he locked onto his receivers far too often and didn't go through his progressions that often. If he flashed that ability, I only saw it on a highly inconsistent basis.

Everything else, I tend to agree with. I was impressed with his ability to throw on the move and was definitely a fan of his accuracy. If he can learn to look off defenders and maintain his same level of accuracy then I agree he could definitely do some damage down the line. Though I don't think he was necessarily ready to start day one... maybe in a strict run first offense that uses simple routes he could be a day one body. But I'm not sure you'd want him to start without sitting for a year.

That said, I hadn't heard of him before the draft and only watched one gametape, so my information is clearly limited.

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
khodder wrote:

Quote:
Keith Wenning
Ball State
6-3, 218
Senior

Just out of curiosity, where did you post this?

Initially it was posted in the draft forum about a week before the draft.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: