Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ravens FFMD II War Room - Draft Complete
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've changed my mind. We probably won't get much more activity in here so I'll go ahead and take West. Our next pick is scheduled for 6 pm with only three players being taken before then. We're probably going to need more/updated draft boards to get that one in. Right now it would be pretty jumbled.
drd23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. OLB Trevor Reilly
2. ILB Jordan Zumwalt
3. CB Victor Hampton
4. TE Arthur Lynch

The value for Reilly and Zumwalt is too good to pass up imo. Hampton is the best of the CBs left and could be a pretty good slot CB.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not getting a cornerback so far is one of my biggest regrets, but they've gone early and often without a good candidate being at our pick since the first round. Hampton has some serious character concerns otherwise he'd be on my list. I like Aaron Colvin but with his injury I doubt he will play in this upcoming season. Terrance Mitchell has some hype/steam building. I'm not too familiar with him though. Think

The overall best player available is probably Anthony Johnson but I don't see any need for him after taking Ego Ferguson. Jordan Zumwalt is one of the better prospects left too. Anybody feel like making a case for Logan Thomas? Meh, this one will be interesting.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit is up and then we're on the clock. Here's my board:

Antone Exum
Rashaad Reynolds
Logan Thomas

I actually forgot about Exum before because he's listed as a safety on the board I'm using. Hear me out on this though. I think Exum can play some cornerback in the league, especially on the outside. That would free up Webb to move into the slot but I also like the versatility Exum would bring to the safety group too. Jimmie Ward is a guy that played all over the field in college and I think it would be nice to continue using him in that role if possible. Having Exum on the team would allow that since he can play free safety (and has quite a bit of experience at it). It would also allow Elam to move down into the box or wherever near the line of scrimmage and not worry about Ward cover the back-end all by himself on a consistent basis.

Last edited by coordinator0 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're officially on the clock now. This time I will wait about 20 minutes in case anyone else wants to chime in. If not Exum is the point leader with 6. James hurts has 4 and Vic Hampton has 3 along with Trevor Reilly.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and made Exum the pick. We're done for the day and have one draft choice left. It's slated to be on the clock tomorrow at 7 pm. I won't be available so someone needs to be here to count the draft boards and make the pick. Whoever volunteers I'll just make them the assistant general manager.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I went ahead and made Exum the pick. We're done for the day and have one draft choice left. It's slated to be on the clock tomorrow at 7 pm. I won't be available so someone needs to be here to count the draft boards and make the pick. Whoever volunteers I'll just make them the assistant general manager.

I like the West and Exum picks. Exum has plenty of talent, just not durable. He's a versatile player and the Ravens tend to like versatile players. If he can get healthy, he has the talent to push Ward for his starting spot to keep him on his toes.

Assuming Ward prevails (which I find most likely) than Exum can also see the field as a corner. He's a physical corner that could excel on the outside while Webb hits the slot. I usually stay away from injury prone players by nature, however I think the risk drops precipitously with Exum with him going in the 5th? (not sure what pick that was). He was arguably the more regarded prospect going into this season over Fuller... that speaks to his talent if he can get healthy and continue to develop. He's a day two talent falling to day three because of durability concerns. I think he makes a lot of sense. Thought he offered more upside than any other defensive back at this juncture at either safety or corner.

And West... well, he needs no defense. You don't rush for 40+ TDs in a season and not get local attention.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exum was taken with a compensatory 4th round pick. I've gotten lost a couple of times too. Laughing

Your description fits my thinking as well. Like I said earlier it also gives the team the flexibility to move Ward and Elam around a lot too and I really like that. I'm obviously envisioning Exum getting most of his time as a cornerback on the outside but I think he would fulfill the need for a third guy at that position admirably. Durability is the biggest concern but as far as I can tell the only major issue is the one he had this past season and that was early on so it's not something I'm too worried about.

Here's a recap of our picks thus far:

17: Zack Martin, OL, Notre Dame
34: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
99: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
134: Ego Ferguson, DL, Louisiana State
138: Terrance West, RB, Towson
142: Antone Exum, DB, Virginia Tech

I'm a big fan of it. If I could have convinced more of you to go with Dennard at 17 and then get an offensive lineman at 99 of our three picks today it would have been perfect.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Exum was taken with a compensatory 4th round pick. I've gotten lost a couple of times too. Laughing

Your description fits my thinking as well. Like I said earlier it also gives the team the flexibility to move Ward and Elam around a lot too and I really like that. I'm obviously envisioning Exum getting most of his time as a cornerback on the outside but I think he would fulfill the need for a third guy at that position admirably. Durability is the biggest concern but as far as I can tell the only major issue is the one he had this past season and that was early on so it's not something I'm too worried about.

Here's a recap of our picks thus far:

17: Zack Martin, OL, Notre Dame
34: Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
99: Paul Richardson, WR, Colorado
134: Ego Ferguson, DL, Louisiana State
138: Terrance West, RB, Towson
142: Antone Exum, DB, Virginia Tech

I'm a big fan of it. If I could have convinced more of you to go with Dennard at 17 and then get an offensive lineman at 99 of our three picks today it would have been perfect.

OR you guys took your tampons out and grew some hair on your chest (and back?) and stopped willy-wagging (wha-) and taken Jordan Matthews with the first pick... Wink

EDIT: Though an aside, if we didn't have Dean Pees as our DC and rolled with someone that used press man coverage more, than I would definitely have been on the Dennard bandwagon. But as it stands, I'm on the Fuller wagon. Not as talented as Dennard at his specialty, but is more versatile. I really have this inkling that he's going to be a Baltimore Ravens draft selection at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys I still need someone to be able to make the pick we have tonight. I'm leaving in an hour so that's about all the time I have left to grant authority or our pick will be an hour or two late. We have pick 175 and right now 173 is up so maybe I'll still be around if the two teams ahead of us but I'm not holding my breath.

Here's my board:

Jeff Matthews - QB - Cornell
Marcel Jensen - TE - Fresno State
Richard Rogers - TE - California

I like Matthews for Baltimore quite a bit. He's a guy that could come in if Flacco gets hurt and they wouldn't have to change too much of the way the offense operates.
drd23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we were going to take a QB, I'd rather Fales tbh.

I'd be happy with any of
DT George Uko
QB David Fales
ILB Lamin Barrow
CB Terrence Mitchell
OT James Hurst

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think Fales' arm will let him succeed in the NFL, even as a backup. Especially Joe Flacco's backup. I'm a proponent of having the number two at that position to be as close to the same mold as the starter as possible.

We need some more boards in.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. James Hurst- We already took a OT/OG, but Hurst is too talented to pass up at such a late juncture. He only broke his leg. He should be ready to compete by training camp at worst.

2. Khairi Fort- Guy is a big athletic ILB that would work as insurance in the event that Smith isn't able to remain durable enough for us this season or next.

3. Aaron Colvin- We added a corner in Exum, however Exum is a tweener so he could go either way. We have some young corners on the roster but one can't stay clean of drugs, another tears an ACL every other season, one gets dinged up all the time, and the last guy is JAG status at best. Colvin has talent and would be insurance in case our depth or Exum don't work out. He even gets to medically redshirt his rookie season and allow us to come to a more definitive diagnosis on our other options.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just go with Hurst. Looking back he would be the top player left on RTID's board too. That ends our draft.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ravens FFMD II War Room - Draft Complete Reply with quote

Last year I liked looking back after the real draft to see how our picks stacked up against where they actually went in the real thing. Here it is again.

17: Zack Martin - Even value. Martin went to the Cowboys with the 16th pick.

34: Jimmie Ward - Slight value. Ward went to the 49ers with the 30th pick.

99: Paul Richardson - Good value. Richardson went to the Seahawks with the 45th pick.

134: Ego Ferguson - Good value. Ferguson went to the Bears with the 51st pick.

138: Terrance West - Good value. West went to the Browns with the 94th pick.

142: Antone Exum - Big reach. Exum went to the Vikings with the 182nd pick.

175: James Hurst - Big reach. Hurst went undrafted.

I feel like we did really well in terms of value.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: