Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hello Michael Schofield
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
germ-x

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Evaluating-the-Pick-Michael-Schofield/a8fa73ca-2124-4f34-9dbf-60f9f4fddbd6

Above is a good read on Schofield. I wasn't able to follow the Senior Bowl much, but apparently Schofield shined during his week there and it's believed it helped elevate his stock.

Interestingly, of all reports on that link, all of them believe he's a RT in the NFL. I think he projects better at OG (so don't ever trust what i say again) and all of these reports really make him seem like a better prospect than most of us are giving him credit for.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corey Nelson seems rather humble...good flyer with a 7th round pick.

http://newsok.com/former-oklahoma-linebacker-corey-nelson-is-100-percent-cleared-considers-himself-blessed/article/3942127
1King

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know if he has experience at OG, but i think his physical attributes would fit better there than at RT,

He does indeed have experience at OG. he started 10 games at LG as a RS SO where he played very well. There were a # of Michigan fans that thought he was better at OG than at OT. I think long term he very well might be better at OG in the NFL while being able to kick out to RT if needed. At worst, he should be able to be a quality backup OL at 3 positions. At best, he should be able to be a quality starter, but might need a little time to get there.

Here is his Michigan Bio if anyone is interested:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/michael_schofield_472361.html

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
TrentWilliamson

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope he puts on another 15 pounds or so and we kick him inside for the future. Im a Michigan fan, and while Devin Gardner held the ball way too long, Schofield allowed a ton of pressure, i hope we never have to play him at tackle. He has the potential to be a really good guard if he can put on some weight and get stronger. Still cant figure out why we would pass on a guy like Brandon Thomas who is by far a better prospect that Schofield, when we wouldnt have planned for either guy to come in and play right away.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentWilliamson wrote:
I hope he puts on another 15 pounds or so and we kick him inside for the future. Im a Michigan fan, and while Devin Gardner held the ball way too long, Schofield allowed a ton of pressure, i hope we never have to play him at tackle. He has the potential to be a really good guard if he can put on some weight and get stronger. Still cant figure out why we would pass on a guy like Brandon Thomas who is by far a better prospect that Schofield, when we wouldnt have planned for either guy to come in and play right away.

Perhaps the Broncos are accepting applications for President of Player Personnel??
germ-x

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentWilliamson wrote:

Schofield can play right away, which is probably why he was the pick. Thomas is likely going to be a PUP candidate at best. Schofield comes in day one and competes for a job.
germ-x

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ That's not to say i would have taken Schofield over Thomas, because I would have selected Thomas over Schofield. However, for Denver, a team that could use a versatile OL this season, Schofield would have made more sense.
champ11

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:
Quote:
I don't know if he has experience at OG, but i think his physical attributes would fit better there than at RT,

He does indeed have experience at OG. he started 10 games at LG as a RS SO where he played very well. There were a # of Michigan fans that thought he was better at OG than at OT. I think long term he very well might be better at OG in the NFL while being able to kick out to RT if needed. At worst, he should be able to be a quality backup OL at 3 positions. At best, he should be able to be a quality starter, but might need a little time to get there.

Here is his Michigan Bio if anyone is interested:

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/michael_schofield_472361.html

Thanks 1K

Shouts to IDOG_det
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1King wrote:

This is pretty much everything I saw as well.

When he played LG his junior year, he actually looked good. He was stout at the POA and was athletic/quick enough to beat big DT's. From what I saw of him at RT, he was very underwhelming. Actually, he was quite bad. I don't see a way he will make it longer than a couple weeks at RT with Von and Ware coming at him during camp. He'll look bad very fast. I also don't think he's even in the same grade as Orlando Franklin, so if Clark fails at RT, Orlando will likely bounce back outside.

At best, he's a LG, if something happens to Franklin. At worst, he's off the team in 3 years.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
1King wrote:

When he played LG his junior year, he actually looked good. He was stout at the POA and was athletic/quick enough to beat big DT's. From what I saw of him at RT, he was very underwhelming. Actually, he was quite bad. I don't see a way he will make it longer than a couple weeks at RT with Von and Ware coming at him during camp. He'll look bad very fast. I also don't think he's even in the same grade as Orlando Franklin, so if Clark fails at RT, Orlando will likely bounce back outside.

At best, he's a LG, if something happens to Franklin. At worst, he's off the team in 3 years.

If that is case, coaches should be able to figure it out pretty quickly and adjust accordingly. In my view, if he's better suited at left guard, it's an even better pick. We know Franklin and Clark are capable of starting at right tackle, but there's no guarantee of anyone on the team being able to fill the left guard spot at a high level at this point. It looks like a good fit for Franklin, but he hasn't played the position in the NFL yet either. And assumng Franklin is able to do the job, there's still nothing behind him in case of injury.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
1King wrote:

If that is case, coaches should be able to figure it out pretty quickly and adjust accordingly. In my view, if he's better suited at left guard, it's an even better pick. We know Franklin and Clark are capable of starting at right tackle, but there's no guarantee of anyone on the team being able to fill the left guard spot at a high level at this point. It looks like a good fit for Franklin, but he hasn't played the position in the NFL yet either. And assumng Franklin is able to do the job, there's still nothing behind him in case of injury.

Exactly, it's why i don't get all the bashing of the pick. Not only that, i don't think Schofield is as bad an OT as a lot of posters are making him out to be. I think he gets hated on more on the fact that people wanted another player there (mainly Brandon Thomas) instead of Schofield and it clouds there judgment on the selection.

If there is 1 thing Schofield offers that Thomas doesn't it's immediate competition. Brandon Thomas is at best going to end up on the PUP list, Schofield will be able to take part in training camp and provide competition/depth from day 1. Brandon Thomas doesn't provide anything for this franchise this season.
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoBruin wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
1King wrote:

Neither has Schofield. He hasn't played the position in 2 years, let alone play in the NFL at a high level for 3 years like Franklin.

My firm stance is that Michael Schofield won't start for this team this year, if everyone remains healthy, and Brandon Thomas will be the best OG in this draft once he's healthy. Thomas was one of my favorite prospects before his injury. I saw a lot of value in the 3rd round for him and Elway messed up.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting quite a kick out of this discussion. Like all of you I was pretty confused initially by the selection. So........ did some reading, watched a few plays, made a mild evaluation. Saw no glaring weaknesses.

It was still surprising in that Thomas, Yankey and others were still on the board. Just a guess, but I'd imagine our staff, coaches et al have watched a lot more of this kid and others at that position than we have. Way more, 100's of times more than any of us. They're also professional evaluators, not amateur hacks like us. Very Happy

They also know that if they're wrong they'll get second guessed forever!

That said, I defer to Elway and Company in the evaluation and have to assume they're right. Personally, with a bit of coaching I think Schofield can be a decent RT, better laterally than Franklin with the ability to move inside.

Won't surprise me a bit if he's in our starting lineup this year. Wink
champ11

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
I'm getting quite a kick out of this discussion. Like all of you I was pretty confused initially by the selection. So........ did some reading, watched a few plays, made a mild evaluation. Saw no glaring weaknesses.

It was still surprising in that Thomas, Yankey and others were still on the board. Just a guess, but I'd imagine our staff, coaches et al have watched a lot more of this kid and others at that position than we have. Way more, 100's of times more than any of us. They're also professional evaluators, not amateur hacks like us. Very Happy

They also know that if they're wrong they'll get second guessed forever!

That said, I defer to Elway and Company in the evaluation and have to assume they're right. Personally, with a bit of coaching I think Schofield can be a decent RT, better laterally than Franklin with the ability to move inside.

Won't surprise me a bit if he's in our starting lineup this year. Wink

This is why I don't dive into college prospects much anymore, I have the faith. You should loan some to AAA Wink

We 100% needed another player on the OL and I love the Roby and Latimore picks. If this was the top guy on their board, I'm down with it

Shouts to IDOG_det
Winder23

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched three of his games and came away very impressed. Big and long athlete. Will be able to add 5 to 10 pounds of muscle.

Is very intelligent. He has a good sense of twists and blitzes. Does a nice job off the snap setting up for outside rushers. Needs to play with better pad level. He reaches too much, but shows enough foot speed to correct that problem.

Overall I think this kid has a chance to develop into a starter. Fortunately he won't have to play early. Should make Winston Justice expendable. He and Painter are good developmental players.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: