Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Post Draft: Solving the problem at CB
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...barring injury of course, there is pretty much zero chance that Ike isnt starting next year. Only other way is if Ike looks laughably bad in preseason (i.e. how he looked most of last year), and one of the guys look dominant.

Hell, even if that did happen, I think Ike would start next year until he showed beyond a shadow of a doubt he shouldnt be out there.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
shawn l brown

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I just watched as much as I could find on Richardson, and while there is alot I cant see, Im honestly wondering why he wasnt rated and taken higher. Not saying round one or 2, but late round 3 or 4. Good size and speed, instinctive, willing tackler and nice ball skills.

Personally, Id still prefer we took Denard, but Im very happy with this guy where we got him.
The thing i like the most is how he stay in the WR hip pocket. a real good press corner.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn l brown wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
I just watched as much as I could find on Richardson, and while there is alot I cant see, Im honestly wondering why he wasnt rated and taken higher. Not saying round one or 2, but late round 3 or 4. Good size and speed, instinctive, willing tackler and nice ball skills.

Personally, Id still prefer we took Denard, but Im very happy with this guy where we got him.
The thing i like the most is how he stay in the WR hip pocket. a real good press corner.

Hopefully they use more press then.

Sick as hell of seeing those 10 yard cushions constantly, especially against Manning and Brady, whose offense is all about timing. Its not a shock that the one time we managed to slow the Pats offense down (2011, I think) was when we jammed their receivers and disrupted routes.

Seriously hoping this guy works out and Allen can take a step forward. Would be beautiful to have Allen and Richardson as our starting CBs after this year...but thats probably too much to ask for.

3rivers

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawn l brown wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Lake emphasized Richardsons ability in bump and run coverage at 0:18:
http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/LIVE-Steelers-Select-CB-Shaquille-Richardson/1ffa5728-3cee-49e9-af72-e318f16c151d

Hopefully Lake will teach these techniques and the DC will employ them. Maybe the student will become the teacher in a way. I am ready to watch a different approach in coverage, but as long as willie and taylor are starting, I doubt we will see much change.
kethnaab

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rivers wrote:
shawn l brown wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

http://www.steelers.com/video-and-audio/videos/LIVE-Steelers-Select-CB-Shaquille-Richardson/1ffa5728-3cee-49e9-af72-e318f16c151d

Hopefully Lake will teach these techniques and the DC will employ them. Maybe the student will become the teacher in a way. I am ready to watch a different approach in coverage, but as long as willie and taylor are starting, I doubt we will see much change.

Ike's played bump and press for ages. Not always, but frequently enough. jebrick has mentioned and it has merit that the reason we've been in off coverage so much over the years is because we only had Ike who could play worth a damn.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kethnaab wrote:
3rivers wrote:
shawn l brown wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:

Ike's played bump and press for ages. Not always, but frequently enough. jebrick has mentioned and it has merit that the reason we've been in off coverage so much over the years is because we only had Ike who could play worth a damn.

do you think there is a chance they have the players now? What about Allen, I thought hew could play that way.

Whatever works, and I just don't want to watch what we saw too often last year, especially early in the season. No pressure form the front was an issue, but that should be a different story this year.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKSteeler wrote:
I was thinking about this more today, and it's impossible to tell what they would have done had Fuller been there, but...I don't think the Steelers are as worried about CB as the fans are. I think Lebeau and Lake were being somewhat honest in their assessment.

The real thing I've been focusing on is the safety position. We all know Ryan Clark was bad last year. How bad? Well, enough to where I think Tomlin/Lebeau and the rest of the brain trust are willing to gamble that he was addition by subtraction. Mitchell is almost by default a large upgrade over 2013 Clark. He's also a very good athlete. A lot of speed.

You also have to look at the Shazier pick. What does that mean for Troy? Butler and Lake again emphasized this fact. It takes pressure off him and allows him to actually be a safety again. He played ILB more often than not last year with Will Allen filling in the second half of the season.

So, in a sense, the Steelers probably expect SS to be upgraded because they can use Troy in his natural position.

Butler also mentioned that with Shazier, they expect to have 3 guys with sub 4.4 speed on the field on defense this year. One of the guys mentioned? Shamarko Thomas. He's headed into year 2. I would expect him to get some real snaps. There seemed to be a sense of urgency across the board. They talked about the young guys a little different.

Maybe they really also like Blake and McCain. Lake talked up McCain's movement skills.

So, in summary:
1. FS upgrade
2. Troy back in his real position
3. Shazier, at least in packages, adds speed in the middle of the defense.
4. Some other young, athletic young guys getting on the field. That includes Cortez.
5. They think Ike has more left in the tank and blame a lot of his issues on Clark. Which isn't really wrong. He's still a pretty good athlete at the CB position.

You factor in the front 7 improvements they are probably counting on (Jones, Tuitt, Heyward full time, McClendon year 2, better depth at LB and DL in general), and this draft makes a lot more sense.

First of all, great post. Second of all, I want to talk about Shazier before I get to the CB position.

Adding him, I've thought more about this as well, actually doesn't just take pressure off Troy, it takes pressure off of EVERYONE on the defense. Let's be honest, our defense has lacked speed for quite some time now. The biggest thing we saw last year was LB's and DB's unable to catch a ball carrier in space, unable to get to the ball carrier sideline to sideline because our guys were either A) tired or B) Old and slow.

Now that obviously doesn't pertain to everyone and it's not a problem that simply existed last year, it's been an issue for a few seasons. Hence the reason, imo, Keisel is no longer here along with Harrison and Foote.

Shazier coming in solves that problem his speed will give the rest of the defense assurance that they have "back up" in the distance running department, there's no longer a need to try to play out of assignment to make up for someone else, they can stick to their assignments and let Shazier do his job in the middle with his speed.

As for CB, I don't for a second think Shaq is a starter at any point this season unless we have injuries. There's some "schooling" that needs to be done there. However, I think he could develop into one potentially. I also think that in depth, when we have to have more 4+ DBs on the field, he could be a great tool defensively because he's fast. I definitely foresee him getting experience this season, I just don't see him starting, I honestly think if he does become a starter, it won't be until year 3 of his contract. But I think that IF Brice McCain and Isaiah Green can give us some production I think we'll be alright. Does that mean I feel like we did good not going CB in the 1st round? Not necessarily but after a couple days to really evaluate the draft class, I'm very happy with it.

Chances are that someone, maybe more than 1 someone, isn't going to pan out, at least in the long term. If i were a betting man I'd say it'll be our 6th & 7th round picks. If that's really the case, I'm alright with that. That's something I can live with, but I'm happy with the selection of Shaq. This kid has all the physical tools, he just needs some coaching and development. He could develop into one of the best CBs in the league for all we know.

Sig courtesy of IDOG

PSN (PS3) -- wwhickok
Strive to be Leah Strong! May God continue to Bless you Leah Still!
bigben07MVP

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are the best remaining Free Agent cornerbacks? Any chance we bring one in before the season starts?

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if Shaq makes it and they like him moving forward they'll need another guy next offseason...Gay will only have 1 year left on his deal next offseason.
...and we're not sure of Allen going forward.

We know they like Thomas in the slot...they'll need another outside CB going forward at the least.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanFanecaFan wrote:
Even if Shaq makes it and they like him moving forward they'll need another guy next offseason...Gay will only have 1 year left on his deal next offseason.
...and we're not sure of Allen going forward.

We know they like Thomas in the slot...they'll need another outside CB going forward at the least.

Not if Allen steps up.

Big if, but he is on the brink.

I agree there is a good chance we will need a corner next year...but I could see us needed and OLB, LT, NT and maybe even a TE just as much. Not worth jumping too far ahead though until we know what happens this season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: