Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2014 Draft Thoughts and Grades
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maddogg

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: 2014 Draft Thoughts and Grades Reply with quote

Overall I'm rather dissatisfied with our draft and what unfolded. As for my grades here goes :

Round 1, #19.) Ja'wuan James OT Tennessee, We all knew help was needed on the pffensive line and the Dolphins staff fell in love with James like a teenager in high school. I was given word the day before that Miami was serious about taking him with our first pick, I thought it was an April Fools joke in May. I had him ranked initially at #77 and he moved up to the 60's but that was more because I was pressing Miamis needs more than his talents. A double hurt is that we were offered a trade but hearing we wanted too much instead the Saints went to Arizona. With Martin and Lewan off the board I would have taken #27 and picking Xavier Su'a-Filo along with selection #91.Grade : C

Round 2 #63.)Jarvis Landry WR LSU. Another head scratcher for me. True the status of Hartline and Gibson coming back from injury is an unknown in terms of what they can produce on the field. With Landry, you have a drafted a slot receiver, average at best speed with great hands. Not that I don't like him but once again we drafted way to early, onmy board he was at 72 and in all probability wouls have been available to us in round 3. Morgan Moses made more sense here with the additional picks we accumulated trading down. Grade : C-

Round 3 #66.) Billy Turner OT North Dakota State. Here is what I don't understand we move up to draft a tackle who will not play tackle that came from a small school who will have to switch positions as a rookie in the NFL. What could go wrong? We should have stayed with the picks at 81 and 116 where we could have picked both Trai Turner & Martavis Bryant or any other combination of players available. Once again, drafted higher than my grade and then switching his position, ouch. Grade : D

Round 4 #125.) Walt Aikens CB Liberty. I like this kid. He really impressed me during the Senior Bowl. What I don't like is once again drafting a player too early. I'm sure he could have been available late in round five as I had the Jaguars taking him in early round six.Grade : C+

Round 5 #155.) Arthur Lynch TE Georgia. We do need a tight end with good blocking skills, but better yet would have been one as a seam threat. More than likely this signals the end of Egnew. Similar in comparison to Fasano I was actually hoping to hear Aaron Murrays name here. Grade : B-

Round 5 #171.) Jordan Tripp OLB Montana. It takes till the end of round 5 for the Dolphins to actually draft someone I like, at a position I like, at a spot in the draft I like for their selection. At the least, he offers great special teams play and if the matador currently at OLB aka Phillip Wheeler doesn't improve he may end up seeing some snaps sooner than expected. Surprised that Miami drafted someone with high character.Grade B+

Round 6 #190.) Matt Hazel WR Coastal Carolina. He has decent speed , runs some nice routes. I was kind of surprised we drafted him after landing Jarvis Landry. I started noticing Hazel when I was following Lorenzo Taliaferro at Coastal Carolina. He certainly has a chance to make the roster. It may well be Wallace, Hartline, Gibson, Landry and Hazel as our week one wide receiver group. Grade B

Round 7 #234.) Terrence Fede DE Marist. I know absolutely nothing about this kid. There is nothing for me to grade him on. I wanted, Trey Millard FB Oklahoma here. Nothing to go on with Terrence here. Grade : None

In conclusion, there was nothing Hickey did that absolutely wowed me or impressed me as a brilliant move. As a comparison, he offered what Ireland has done, coming up short with the early picks and doing ok with some drafted later on. I find my mocks and picks more closely aligned to what unfurrows in San Francisco, Baltimore, Seattle and Pittsburgh. I was hoping for more but was resigned after our pick in the first round. I so desperately want to be wrong, but year after year unfortunately will not make it so.

Yours thoughts on the draft overall?

Jared Odrick 2014 Adopt A Player : Games - 6, Tackles 7 Assists 2 Sacks 1 Forced Fumbles 1

Joe Philbin Death Watch - After Week 7 : Death 24 Joe 21
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100 percent on everything you said regarding the billy turner pick and to give up a pick to do it also. A small school kid has enough of a adjustment to the next level as it is now to ask him to move positions hmmm. Marcus Martin went to the 49ers a couple picks later who I really liked who had 2 years of experience playing G and could have been great insurance for pouncey at C also.

Last edited by fishfan4life on Sun May 11, 2014 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
fishfan4life

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like James as a prospect had him ranked 37th what really bothers me is Hickey saying he had trade options but didn't feel the compensation extra 3rd round was worth the risk of losing him. Pretty sure nobody was taking James before 27. I however do like James ability to pass protect a lot and if he was our guy and he plays very good that's all that matters.
ViolentMonk71

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol....poor reasoning based off of hindsight....

People get mad they didn't draft player they liked and as a result you grade the draft low...

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfan4life wrote:
I really like James as a prospect had him ranked 37th what really bothers me is Hickey saying he had trade options but didn't feel the compensation extra 3rd round was worth the risk of losing him. Pretty sure nobody was taking James before 27. I however do like James ability to pass protect a lot and if he was our guy and he plays very good that's all that matters.

the bolded is the key word... if it is a guy you covet, you grab him. you dont hope hes there 7 spots later.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Billy Turner as a player, and I'm OK with him being a Dolphin.

I'm OK with the Landry pick, but I much rather would of had stayed put in the second and drafted Cody Latimer or Allen Robinson.

I disagree with your draft grade.........

Overall I give this Dolphins draft a resounding F
joeyL.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall, pretty impressed with the draft. Hickey avoided making any rash decisions to give up the farm for a player to appease a fan base that you might have expected from a GM who might only have one year to make his mark on this franchise. While it wasn't sexy, I think they got great value in all rounds except for the 1st pick, but that was a player they clearly identified as their guy. Cant really blame them for not wanting to miss out by trading back a few spots.

I would have liked to see them bring in DeAnthony Thomas though and will wonder "what if" if KC didn't pick hi right before us. He had Lazors toy written all over him.

I thought the UDFA haul was pretty good too.

Overall, B/B- range.

^^^packerbacker87, mad props yo.
"
This is America, the land of individualism, civil
disobedience and footballs that dont roll like the rest of the world wants them to"
Manic

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we needed lineman desperately so i knew it wasnt going to be a sexy draft. Most ppl are btching cus we either didnt take the guy they wanted or they felt we reached. Wont know till this season or next who was right or wrong, but i like the positions we addressed. Hopefully they work out and we have a solid season.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

People get mad they didn't draft player they liked and as a result you grade the draft low...
It kinda is the point though - draft grade can only relate to two things - the fit in the team, and who else was available that we could have picked instead.
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to hate on the James pick in the first round, as the options behind him were clearly lacking. Morgan Moses, a player many thought was a end of the first round pick, wasn't drafted untill the 3rd round, by a team desperate the find talent for the OL as they didn't have many picks to begin with. Clearly the ENTIRE NFL thought that the rumors about him being lazy and having a poor work ethic were valid. The phins went with the player that had the best blend of mental talent, physical talent, and work ethic. So hear is how I would grade the draft, based on my opinion of how I think Philbin sees the phins.

1st round, C. The phins wanted to trade back, but couldn't find a partner as other teams were willing to accept less compensation. The phins, worried about a run on OT's, as 4 were already off the board, stuck with the player they wanted on the end of the first and drafted James. James will start from day one. He will get better as he works on his technique and his strength and conditioning. James is a massive OT, with prototypical height, weight, and arm length. He is an upgrade over the sucking wound we have had at RT the last 2 years. By the way, James is mentally tough, I loved the fact that he has already called out Clowney.

2nd round, B. Philbin has been extremely frustrated with our WR's lack of route discipline. Philbin wants an offense based on short and intermediate timing routes. To do this your WR's don't need to be the biggest or the fastest, they need to know how to work a route. Hartline is the only WR we have that possesses that skill. Which is the reason Tannehill was able to connect with him. Landry is a technician at running routes. Every scouting report I read stated that he was fantastic at working his route to get separation. You have to remember that Landry won't be competing with top CB's. As the slot WR he will have a back up CB covering him, or a S or OLB. He will be able to get open. He is the safety valve for our offense next season. Landry worked his way from back of the roster, to the best WR on his team. He shows mental toughness and determination. We were also able to trade back twice and still get our targeted player. For fans who scream about trading back, Hickey does it twice and doesn't get any credit.

3rd round, B. Once again, the phins had to react to the draft unfolding in front of them. Olineman began to fly off the board, fearing another run on Olineman, Hickey traded up to get the player they wanted. Turner had been on miami's radar from the very beginning. The phins had him pegged as a LG, so the positions switch is part of why they drafted him. It isn't like he was horrible as an OT, so they had to switch him to OG. Turner will go into camp and work as a LG from the start. Turner is one of my favorite players, as I love his passion for the game. He grew up in a football family and it shows. This kid is going to work his butt off to improve. We get a starting LG in the third rnd, and people complain.

4th round. C, I didn't watch any of his tape, but at this point special teams becomes just as much of a consideration as talent at your position. From what I read Aikens is an aggressive tackler, so he should be able to contribute right away.

5th round, B. Again a run on TE's forced the phins to take a player they needed a little higher than planned. It's no secret that Philbin wants TE's that can block. Lynch just has the added bonus that he has good hands, and runs decent routes. Should have a roster spot from day one as the 3rd TE.

5th round, A. I watched some tape of Tripp and was impressed at how he seems to be everywhere on the field. I never expected the phins to draft him, so this is a surprise. Once again, a player with a high motor, and great attitude, and work ethic. Are you starting to see the pattern here. In the end he may just wind up being a special teams ace, but again those are needed on every team. A strong tackler, with great instincts.

6th round, C. Hazel is another WR known for crisp route running. Again Philben's preference in WR is on display. Good hands, good route running, mentally tough.

7th round, C. Looking into Fede's background, he comes across as an overachiever, but with decent physical talents. Again I'm thinking special teams here, but you never know when someone might develop into something special.

Overall I give the draft a B. This team is finally taking the shape of a true "Philbin" team. There is going to be some bumps in the road as Hickey gets Philbin the type of players he wants to build the team. This really is just the first step, as it is apparent that Ireland drafted the players HE wanted, not what Philbin requested.
dolphinologist

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ViolentMonk71 wrote:

I see it the same way.

Fellow Posters: I beg that you not misunderstand my level of arrogance. My handle is an implication of Dolphin study not necessarily Dolphin expertise.
ChosenOne3188

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

green4gulf wrote:

Overall I give this Dolphins draft a resounding F

What? Why?

AIM/Steam/XBL: ChosenOne3188
PhinFan52

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of people had us drafting "Tiny" at RT and had we... most would've been ok with it.. but he went undrafted... we didn't go "sexy" with picks.. we did draft blue collar hard working guys... maybe guys with something to prove... I will wait to pass judgement on this draft.

Plus I want to see what happens with Jordon .... DE or OLB ?
freak_of_nature

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would've immediately given this draft an "A" if we traded back for XS-F, and got a RT (Moses or James) in the 2nd round. I still would've drafted Billy Turner in the 3rd for depth and maybe to have him turn into a starter. I'm really hoping XS-F doesn't turn into an All-Pro.
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this draft will have a positive effect on the overall performance ofthe team but may not have the bright sparkly indicators that you can point to that will prove it.

This is a foundation draft, something to build from, not the shiny pieces that put you over the top once the foundation is set.

i think this type of draft will hopefully be able to come in and plug in early, adding to the late bloomers of the 2013 draft to get us 9/10 wins
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13 and '14
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: