Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

#82...DT...Will Sutton...Arizona State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the knock on Alshon Jeffery that he gained weight and had a down year? And yet he was hugely coveted around here before the 2012 draft.

Yet Sutton is somehow doomed to mediocrity before even stepping onto a NFL field. Hmm...
SOCalBearsFan54

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Wasn't the knock on Alshon Jeffery that he gained weight and had a down year? And yet he was hugely coveted around here before the 2012 draft.

Yet Sutton is somehow doomed to mediocrity before even stepping onto a NFL field. Hmm...

Exact same situation. He was back to back PAC 12 defensive player of the year and was an absolute force back in 2012. If he can stay around 290 with our veteran dlinemen he has the potential to be absolutely dominate. If he didn't listen to people telling him he needed to get bigger to play this past season he could have been a top 20 pick.

2013 Adopt a Bear: LT Jermon Bushrod#74
Slaymont Harris

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly he was asked by coaches to add around 30 lbs. before his senior season and did so against his better judgement. His last season at a more conventional 3tech weight he had 13 sacks, 63 tackles, 23.5 tfl, and five pbu. That is totally sick.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:
Supposedly he was asked by coaches to add around 30 lbs. before his senior season and did so against his better judgement. His last season at a more conventional 3tech weight he had 13 sacks, 63 tackles, 23.5 tfl, and five pbu. That is totally sick.
If he proves he's still got that ability he's a top 15 pick.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slaymont Harris wrote:

He has to be used right for us to get the best out of him…don’t view him as an every down player but as a nickel pass rusher…if we get him back down to around 285lbs he could be effective on those pass downs…if he does become a player like Mike Daniels up in GB then he will have been worth the 3rd…if he isn’t able to press the pocket he will have been a waste.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rewatched some of his senior games. What a fat horrible waste of space. Truly terrible football player as a senior. I have no idea what to make of him.

Watching these senior season games. It's seriously hard to even watch them. I feel bad for him. He was such a talented player and he literally embarrassed himself. Borderline sad.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:

He has to be used right for us to get the best out of him…don’t view him as an every down player but as a nickel pass rusher…if we get him back down to around 285lbs he could be effective on those pass downs…if he does become a player like Mike Daniels up in GB then he will have been worth the 3rd…if he isn’t able to press the pocket he will have been a waste.

I know it is a tall order, but I think our strength and conditioning program can get those extra 5 lbs. off him by the start of the season. He is currently at 290, which he said is the Bears preferred weight for him.

He was 30 lbs. heavier, at minimum, during the 2013 season than he was in the 2012 season. Not because he was lazy or decided to eat a diet of bon bons, but because he was told to gain the weight. Now that he is at a reasonable playing weight, his only concern is adjusting to the pro game, just as any other player must do.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:

I know it is a tall order, but I think our strength and conditioning program can get those extra 5 lbs. off him by the start of the season. He is currently at 290, which he said is the Bears preferred weight for him.

He was 30 lbs. heavier, at minimum, during the 2013 season than he was in the 2012 season. Not because he was lazy or decided to eat a diet of bon bons, but because he was told to gain the weight. Now that he is at a reasonable playing weight, his only concern is adjusting to the pro game, just as any other player must do.
Thank goodness for those bon-bons without them he would never have been available to us for a low pick. Hopefully he can be another Alex Brown.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Slaymont Harris wrote:

There are no "every down" players on the dline. Even Peppers did not play every down. The other linemen played closer to 50% than every down. This is not a valid standard for judgment.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
Just rewatched some of his senior games. What a fat horrible waste of space. Truly terrible football player as a senior. I have no idea what to make of him.

Watching these senior season games. It's seriously hard to even watch them. I feel bad for him. He was such a talented player and he literally embarrassed himself. Borderline sad.

His terrible season,

48 tackles, 13.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks

Most DTs would kill for that production.
DaMike

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

His terrible season,

He was dominated on almost every play. Watch the games against decent competition. Watch Stanford and the Bowl game.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

His terrible season,

He was dominated on almost every play. Watch the games against decent competition. Watch Stanford and the Bowl game.

This is the one of the picks I was really iffy on. You are correct he was dominated especially in the Stanford game. Those of the bench mark games because of the competition and the offense they play. Him gaining weight really turned him into a fat blob that did relatively nothing. He sometimes flashes how he was in '12 but its almost rare.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched both games and to characterize them as embarrassing is a stretch.

He did not play very good games.

Stanford

-Struggled rushing the passer and with the trap blocks.
-Consistently double teamed

Who would have thought that a pass rushing DT would struggle against a run heavy team that is double teaming him.

Still finished with 6 tackles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b4T7KCuhI0

Texas Tech

-Does not play very well, but at the same time they go through a segment where they talk about all the things that Texas Tech does to game plan for Sutton.
-Again double teamed a lot.

Still finished with 3 tackles, 1 TFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnnOjphWfBM
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

His terrible season,

Did Pac 12 coaches vote him defensive player of the year last season because they felt bad for him?
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
DaMike wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
DaMike wrote:

His terrible season,

This is the one of the picks I was really iffy on. You are correct he was dominated especially in the Stanford game. Those of the bench mark games because of the competition and the offense they play. Him gaining weight really turned him into a fat blob that did relatively nothing. He sometimes flashes how he was in '12 but its almost rare.

If you want a definition of nothing and dominated please see Landon Cohen.

Sutton was not as good in 2012 as he was in 2013, but he was far from dominated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

Jump to: